Head Coach Ravi Shastri delivers a dressing room speech at Gabba

I think Shastri gave out the right speech and emphasized on enjoying the moment as not many current or upcoming players might be able to enjoy such moment again as this is freaking special. Lack of practice due to Quarantine/lockdown, Injuries, pandemic etc stacked all the odds against us but we were unwavering.

I really hope India run with this momentum and build something special.

7 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Interesting. But I don’t see any evidence for your assertion. Rahane has captained 4 tests and won 3. He has captained in décider test minus Kohli in Dharamsala when team was not down but had to win. 

On Kumble too, unless you had an inside dressing room perspective I don’t see any evidence here. I mean we have consistently choked in all ICC events under Kohli and Shastri. So, how is Kumble the differentiating factor. 

To me, anyone with any cricketing insight sees the captain on the field and within one hour it is possible to make out which one is natural leader and which one is not. We try to deconstruct it and give it names but truth is some are just born with it. 

They lost ICC event under Kumble too.

7 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Shastri, time and time again, comes across as a cheerleader.  "We are the best." speeches in press conferences flow from his mouth even after defeats!  Then, starting with MCG, I see the team rise from the dead and  make the connection - "see, they were failing and he probably gave them the needed confidence with his cheerleading

So why this cheerleading never worked in eng, NZ  and SA all along while Kohli was captaining. Or shall we give little credit to Rahane the captain who bring back the team out of misery whether it was looming home series defeat against aus and near to impossible series win in aus with 6-7 main players out.

9 hours ago, raki05 said:

So why this cheerleading never worked in eng, NZ  and SA all along while Kohli was captaining. Or shall we give little credit to Rahane the captain who bring back the team out of misery whether it was looming home series defeat against aus and near to impossible series win in aus with 6-7 main players out.

Definitely loads of credit to Rahane.  As I mentioned in my post, his gentle, positive, laid-back manner was exactly what the team needed when they were feeling down (again, in my opinion).  

Bewda is a great motivational speaker. picks people up when they are down on confidence. but is he that great when it comes to coaching and tactics. thats something we will never know. But hey as long as we are winning, bewda deserves some daaru. He is drinking anyway no matter the result but here's me raising my glass to him. He should have added another sentence after "enjoy it boys" with "make it large" :beerglass:

22 hours ago, goose said:

all i heard from Shastri was let's get plastered boys, do not waste this opportunity

I saw an old pro who's seen a lot, emphasizing to the team that this isn't just another win.  That moments like these don't come often in a career, if at all.  To recognize it for what it is, and to enjoy it.  

Vocabulary is not the same as content.  

I think it is Kohli dynamic that causes issues. He is so wound up that players do not feel comfortable around him. Plus Rahane is a better tactician. Look at the bowling changes he made and the field settings. He reminds me of Mike Brearley of England in the late 70s - early 80s. It is good to see the comraderie amongst the players, they seem to be genuinely happy in each others successes.

This tour with a depleted team is not a fluke, otherwise it would have happened only in one game or one day. BCCI should try to figure out what went right and make sure that stays in the team.

Good speech, will give it to bewda.

But what I remember most in that video is the minor shock I feel every time I see Shaw and find myself conducting a rapid reality assessment - this guy really is 21 years old.

Plus he's taken to looking like the junior accountant at a goldsmith's - studying for CA, 5 times fail.

Edited by NameGoesHere
2 hours ago, sandeep said:

I saw an old pro who's seen a lot, emphasizing to the team that this isn't just another win.  That moments like these don't come often in a career, if at all.  To recognize it for what it is, and to enjoy it.  

Vocabulary is not the same as content.  

yeh i was joking. this will probably be the high point for many of these guys so yes agree with his message. speech aside i find Shastri to be a little too aware of the camera.

On 1/20/2021 at 1:02 AM, ravishingravi said:

Interesting. But I don’t see any evidence for your assertion. Rahane has captained 4 tests and won 3. He has captained in décider test minus Kohli in Dharamsala when team was not down but had to win. 

On Kumble too, unless you had an inside dressing room perspective I don’t see any evidence here. I mean we have consistently choked in all ICC events under Kohli and Shastri. So, how is Kumble the differentiating factor. 

To me, anyone with any cricketing insight sees the captain on the field and within one hour it is possible to make out which one is natural leader and which one is not. We try to deconstruct it and give it names but truth is some are just born with it. 

to me captains are more important in winnings LOI trophies 

In case of Kumble vs Shastri- 11 players complained about kumble so his man management clearly had issues 

We choke simply becoz of Kohli body language and demeanor