Gill and Pant's attractive batting is making me look forward to watching our batting again

5 hours ago, Soumo said:

I wouldn't say his shot range is limited that would be a stretch ,his shot range is best among the fab 5 bats of this genaration (smith, Williamson,root and others) he has a very wristy kind of cover drive which is a shot of his own. He did worked on his cut in that 2015 australia series and executed them perfectly and also he kept swepping lion on 5th day of adilade test a Turner of sorts ,don't really know why he cut down in those shots. I hope we don't make judgement on his batting because of his captaincy ,he was is and will be a atg for sure nothing can halt his legacy as a batsman.

Kohli has programmed himself to play in a particular manner. It does not mean that he can't play certain shots, if you look at his ODI games he is ready to break the mould when needed. But in his mind he is clear what he wants to play against a team and how he wants to play a particular ball and what are his productive shots in a given condition thereby minimising the risk. That's what gets reflected on the ground.

Edited by RajBan
6 hours ago, Soumo said:

I wouldn't say his shot range is limited that would be a stretch ,his shot range is best among the fab 5 bats of this genaration (smith, Williamson,root and others) he has a very wristy kind of cover drive which is a shot of his own. He did worked on his cut in that 2015 australia series and executed them perfectly and also he kept swepping lion on 5th day of adilade test a Turner of sorts ,don't really know why he cut down in those shots. I hope we don't make judgement on his batting because of his captaincy ,he was is and will be a atg for sure nothing can halt his legacy as a batsman.

Kohli doesn't have any backfoot game

2 hours ago, RajBan said:

Gill, Pant, Pujara, Agarwal, Vihari, Siraj needs to go and play county in the summer. That will help them to adjust better by the time we play England in August.

In 2018, before the Eng tour, India A did tour England and played FC matches vs England Lions and WI A. Pant, Ahrwal, Vihari, Siraj all played in that series!

Also, with Brexit, getting overseas spots in County Cricket will not be as easy. Better for the team to arrive in England at least 3 weeks before the tests start and play proper practice matches, not some simulated practice BS Kohli believes in

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

In 2018, before the Eng tour, India A did tour England and played FC matches vs England Lions and WI A. Pant, Ahrwal, Vihari, Siraj all played in that series!

Also, with Brexit, getting overseas spots in County Cricket will not be as easy. Better for the team to arrive in England at least 3 weeks before the tests start and play proper practice matches, not some simulated practice BS Kohli believes in

This makes total sense. And Kohli can't be a standard for others. There is only one Kohli as far as batsmanship is concerned. He should let others be themselves with performance as the key criteria as opposed to style.

People go on and on about Lolli but I identify him as a very limited player who really mastered his strengths but is slowly fading away these days. I never saw him counter attack with a single square cut or a pull or a hook against good fast bowlers when on song. He is always about flick and cover drive. Heck even Babar Azam plays shots all around. 

Gill is easily the most exciting batsman to debut for us after the likes of Yuvraj, Rohit who has all the shots in his armoury. Hopefully he has more temperament than the above two and can score heaps of runs for us.

However, I'm actually most excited about Pant and Sundar. I've always felt we needed Stokes/Woakes type players who can take on the games on their own and control them. These two, if guided and mentored well, can win 2023 world cup in India. Easily the most exciting batsmen in Indian line up. Long may they play and continue!

4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Are the BCCI babus listening?  

They will get time because Lolli will fill the LOI squads with his friends like Dhawan, Rahul, Iyer, Pandya anyway. Great chance for the youngsters to go and acclimatize early to the temperamental English weather.