We must be wary of England!!

Our preparation should be prepare for the worst and wish for the best. Eng is a battle hardened team that can surprise you in more ways than one. they have capable batters that can handle spin and their tail is short. basically everyone can bat. And they have a good spin attack in addition to Broad and Anderson. They even have a pink ball day nighter which could favor them.

5 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Ishant is good enough as a 2nd bowler & our best perhaps for Pink ball test as he has a 5 for vs BD.  Hopefully Bumrah turns up..  As Umesh takes 4 fers & 5fers for fun sometimes,  2-3 wickets won't cut it. Bumrah should attack stumps like Umesh does & he is skiddy as well. 

2 pacers would be fine I think.

3 spinners with Ashwin Kuldeep & Sundar/Axar.  Good depth overall in batting.  

Ishant will do well in the pink ball test. I think Siraj will be better on slow and low surfaces compared to Ishant ... as he is more skiddy.

Bumrah used to bowl really well in Ranji Trophy.  Attacked the stumps at high pace. I expect him to do really well.

Sundar must play as the No.7 batsman cum 3rd spinner. 

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

We must be wary of ourselves as well.  We are the champions now and it is easy to relax, take it easy.

I remember after the 1983 WC euphoria, WI visited and wiped the floor with us.  5-0 in ODIs and 3-0 in 5-test series with 2 innings victories.  Not that Eng is the same kind of team or anything, but it was clear that India was still celebrating and paid a price.  

India was more like a minnow in 83 in front of WI. 83 WC final win is one of the biggest flukes ever.

14 hours ago, Norman said:

Don't think 4-0 will be as easy as people here think it is. Especially with the pink ball Test being there.

This England team can be unbelievably clutch at times. Archer, stokes, Butler...any of these can turn the game on it's head in a session if we drop our guard down.

I'll be more than happy with 3-0 or 3-1or 2-0 even

True. They are our bogey team while strangely Pakistan is theirs.

11 hours ago, rkt.india said:

India was more like a minnow in 83 in front of WI. 83 WC final win is one of the biggest flukes ever.

That WI team was fuming mad after the world cup loss and destroyed everyone in their path for the next couple of years. There is a YouTube video of a game they won in England with Greenidge hitting a double century on the last day. The WI bowling was downright scary in that game and I was in awe of Allan Lamb for standing up against such brutal bowling and scoring a century. 

11 hours ago, Serpico said:

didn't they also defeat windies in group stage?

Yes, they did. But no one thought they would beat the WI in the final, that to after getting all out for 183 in a 60 over game. WI have only themselves to blame, though. They were in a hurry to get the party started by smashing the target real quick and paid the price. 

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

We must be wary of ourselves as well.  We are the champions now and it is easy to relax, take it easy.

I remember after the 1983 WC euphoria, WI visited and wiped the floor with us.  5-0 in ODIs and 3-0 in 5-test series with 2 innings victories.  Not that Eng is the same kind of team or anything, but it was clear that India was still celebrating and paid a price.  

Hopefully not. The indian team of 1980 is different. WI always used to scare opposition. Teams lost of the fear and even in australia in 90 - 2000 it was similar case.  We have young fearless guys. Hopefully they are selected. 

Last time England won test series in india  they had two good spinners Swann and panesar while their batsman played long tuk tuk innings against our spinners we had four bowler and our bowlers used to get tired of bowling so many overs

Only formula to win them is to 

1) Go with Five bowlers

2) Go with one fast bowler who can bowl good bouncers ( siraj or ishant)

3)Go with three spinners

If any team that can challenge India's home dominance .. it is England..

England has all the ingredients to upset India.. playing against spin is the factor on which they have improved vastly... courtesy their recent series against sri lanka (this could be their second series win in lanka)..

Ofcourse their's a humongous gap between quality of indian spinners nd sri lankan spinners... However with recent trend nd form in their hand.. they would be pretty confident to negotiate Indian spinners threat..

England also has clutch players a la stokes, buttler, root, Bairstow nd few of their youngsters are pretty decent against what we witnessed with Australian bats..

IMO this could be a real mouthwatering contest gauging the strength of both sides..