Best batting position for Gill?   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Best position?

• Opener
    • No. 3
    • No. 4
    • No.5

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

There is no such thing called optimization as far core batsmen are concerned.If Pujara wanted to open , he would have voluntereed for it long time back but he feels comfortable at number 3 and he has earned that right.

You don't do horses for courses with your best core players. You sink or swim with them.

I don't see why "wanting to open" has all that much to do with it? You bat where your team wants you to bat. Justin Langer was an excellent no.3 for Australia, and then was told to open to make room for a brilliant no.3 option named Ricky Ponting

If you think you're going to sink, why not try a floating device to help swim lol? I don't understand the idea of being inflexible when something seems like it won't work (i.e. current opening combo in England/NZ/SA). Now if they think it will work as is, that is a different story

9 minutes ago, Riju23 said:

I don't see why "wanting to open" has all that much to do with it? You bat where your team wants you to bat. Justin Langer was an excellent no.3 for Australia, and then was told to open to make room for a brilliant no.3 option named Ricky Ponting

If you think you're going to sink, why not try a floating device to help swim lol? I don't understand the idea of being inflexible when something seems like it won't work (i.e. current opening combo in England/NZ/SA). Now if they think it will work as is, that is a different story

Let the same theory apply to Gill. He is opening let him continue to open. These are players careers, not some boardroom theories . Justin Langer was okay not great number 3 for Australia. Ponting was batting at number 6 and was doing well there they saw potential of him being better number 3.

Let Gill play some tests as an opener first then he can be moved to other spots. Ponting flopped miserably in India for many years, Aussies still played him why?? He was their best player and they knew they had to sink or swim with him. You don't change team's best core players. Gill is not that yet , let him become one of the core players.

When you are playing in england, there is not much difference in opening and no.3. Until we can clone pujara to bat from two sides, there will always be a weaklink in the opening combination.. rohit/mayank/shaw. I think its better to stick with whats working for now. We don't even know if Gill is going to struggle or not, yet

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

So what should they do with Dhawan? What has he done to be dropped from Odis.

Dhawan is a hand eye coordination dependant batsman. Such players rarely do well past 35.

Dhawan is already 35+.

He will 37.5 during World Cup 2023.

We need to show foresight and develop a new opener from now.

We should not face the same plight that we faced regarding No.4 in WC 2019.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Dhawan is a hand eye coordination dependant batsman. Such players rarely do well past 35.

Dhawan is already 35+.

He will 37.5 during World Cup 2023.

We need to show foresight and develop a new opener from now.

We should not face the same plight that we faced regarding No.4 in WC 2019.

We did not face plight during 2019 for number 4 because someone retired or became old. They did not have batsmen good enough to fill that role. I am not saying Gill should not play in odis .

Why are we kicking out Dhawan who if he was not injured might have won the world cup.He was doing well very till he was injured. 

There is no need to plan for 2023 from now onwards, Gill will get lot of chances in odis  next four years.If he does well whatever spot  he plays, team will find a spot for him. Just like they did for Kohli in 2011.

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Dhawan is already 35+.

true and in this age when form declines its a very bad decline and comeback to form becomes super hard . Dhoni another example and that guy was superfit and legend of the format 

21 minutes ago, putrevus said:

We did not face plight during 2019 for number 4 because someone retired or became old. They did not have batsmen good enough to fill that role. I am not saying Gill should not play in odis .

Why are we kicking out Dhawan who if he was not injured might have won the world cup.He was doing well very till he was injured. 

There is no need to plan for 2023 from now onwards, Gill will get lot of chances in odis  next four years.If he does well whatever spot  he plays, team will find a spot for him. Just like they did for Kohli in 2011.

Due to the reason stated above, I am not in favour of continuing with Dhawan even if Gill is not picked.

Edited by express bowling
28 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Due to the reason stated above, I am not in favour of continuing with Dhawan even if Gill is not picked.

If Dhawan is good enough to play, he should play.Gill has done nothing to shown that he needs to be preferred over Dhawan. Gill should aspire to become all format player.He is young he will get all the chances he needs to prove his talent.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

If Dhawan is good enough to play, he should play.Gill has done nothing to shown that he needs to be preferred over Dhawan. Gill should aspire to become all format player.He is young he will get all the chances he needs to prove his talent.

Never knew cheerleading can sink to such lows. 

As we get closer to Eng series, expect to read similar things from this bunch about other youngsters like Pant and Siraj. 

8 minutes ago, Riju23 said:

In test matches, I agree with the point above, seems ideal for no.3 in the mould of a Ponting. The Aussie commentators (all of whom greatly appreciated Gill's talent) seem to think the same. 

Regarding the Pujara point made above: It's unclear to me what the reasoning is NOT to play Pujara as opener? His primary talent is to 1) blunt the new ball and 2) soak up a lot of deliveries and hence allow the free flowing stroke makers around him to flourish. In SENA he is coming in early anyway haha he may as well open!

Exactly. Pujara’s blunting as an opener would be more appreciated by the middle order than in its current impact.  

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Let the same theory apply to Gill. He is opening let him continue to open. These are players careers, not some boardroom theories . Justin Langer was okay not great number 3 for Australia. Ponting was batting at number 6 and was doing well there they saw potential of him being better number 3.

Let Gill play some tests as an opener first then he can be moved to other spots. Ponting flopped miserably in India for many years, Aussies still played him why?? He was their best player and they knew they had to sink or swim with him. You don't change team's best core players. Gill is not that yet , let him become one of the core players.

Gill is India’s most promising batsmen since Sachin Tendulkar. 

35 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Gill has shown that he can play. hit and dominate high quality fast bowlers on a quick, bouncy seamer friendly track.

That is one of the highest achievements possible for a batsman.

While Dhawan struggles against quality pace bowling the moment conditions are even slightly tilted in favour of seamers. And our ODI top order has struggled in such conditions in important knockout matches. We need to plug this loophole.