Best batting position for Gill?   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Best position?

• Opener
    • No. 3
    • No. 4
    • No.5

13 hours ago, putrevus said:

No way he should be played over those three.He is not even a patch on those three players yet in odis. The only place he has is at number 4 if Iyer fails. Till then Gill should worry scoring runs in tests. If he does exceedingly well against England , they will find a spot for him.

There is no rule that a guy like Gill needs to be given opening role in odis when India has two great openers.He has to earn it.

how can he earn it if he is not given chances though? when kohli and rohit debuted in ODIs, dravid and ganguly both made 10,000 ODI runs and multiple centuries in icc tournaments.. but still they were dropped and benched to give youngsters a chance because its important to build team for next world cup. Having three 35+ players in the top order because of their past records is a recipe for disaster

Edited by Serpico

Gill should bat at 3 if we want to kick-start a long term transition plan. Even 4 is fine but with Kohli for another 4 years it's not happening soon. I know it sounds atrocious with Pujara resurrecting himself and Gill also playing very well as a debutant opener in an away series in Australia, but if we don't plan now starting with home series in England, the real challenge will be during the away series later this year. Gill is not yet ready to open in England with his side play and away from the body shots. My take here is to get Pujara and Vihari to open in English conditions and allow Gill to come one down. We can still lose a wicket early with Gill literally playing as an opener, but with those two opening we have slightly  better chance of letting Gill avoid the new ball to an extent. Not that Pujara or Vihari is sure to survive but they have inherently better discipline compared to Rohit and Gill at this point. If Vihari and Pujara can manage the first hour of play with 25-30 for no loss, then allows Gill, Kohli, Rahane, Pant , Pandya/Sundar(AR) to play positively . Heart says Rohit  should sit out for the right balance of the team in England but mind says he will open and won't get dropped atleast for couple of tests to start with even if he does not score much. He will score in India , so dropping him will face lot of opposition. It's a difficult choice but based on English conditions and current abilities that's what looks to be best option.

Edited by RajBan
36 minutes ago, RajBan said:

Gill should bat at 3 if we want to kick-start a long term transition plan.

Kohli isn't giving up on three, even though he's practically done * all at that position in all KO games of consequence. As for long term transition I doubt this happens under the current TM, they just have an insatiable itch to go against the grain & I'd argue common sense by doing shite stuff just for fun - 4 WK in a SF, dropping your most potent bowler for a trundler & of course his love affair with Chahal :hmm:

See the source image

4 hours ago, Serpico said:

how can he earn it if he is not given chances though? when kohli and rohit debuted in ODIs, dravid and ganguly both made 10,000 ODI runs and multiple centuries in icc tournaments.. but still they were dropped and benched to give youngsters a chance because its important to build team for next world cup. Having three 35+ players in the top order because of their past records is a recipe for disaster

I got mad stressing this fact so may times ...  but  ..:((