Commentary Panel revealed for India Eng Series. No Nasser & Atherton this time.

Lone Wolf

6 hours ago, sage said:

Nick Knight is the British Harsha Bhogle. Rarely adds any insight.

harsha wishes he could analyse technique and batting the way knight did the bygone series. he is only a column writer who somehow landed a commentary gig. it becomes more evident with every penstroke and every sentence he utters on air. a turn of phrase isn't as useful when you need to also incorporate silence with the words.

I'm okay with Nick Knight but Mark Butcher is a god awful choice. His voice makes you sleep and he has no insights on the game whatsoever from whatever I've heard from him in Sri Lanka.

And to those who're asking for Nasser and Athers.... they'll be on the Sky broadcast.

33 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

There's an Indian commentator who has been doing commentary for BBC called Prakash Wakankar. Former Maharashtra U22 player.

He is one of the nicest commentators. Long ago he used to do radio commentary for AIR. I still remember listening to him and Sunil Vaidya during 2003-2006 when we didn't have cable TV. 

I don't think these modern day commentators can match the excitement what veterans used to bring.

Edited by puneet28
1 minute ago, puneet28 said:

He is one of the nicest commentators. Long ago he used to do radio commentary for AIR. I still remember listening to him and Sunil Vaidya during 2003-2006 when we didn't have cable TV. 

I don't think these modern day commentators can match the excitement what veterans used to bring.

Do we still have radio commentary for cricket matches in India? We need more cricket commentators outside of the usual on TV.

16 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

I had the misfortune of listening to worthies like Deep Das, Amol etcetera during the SMAT. Beyond depressing really. All of them aspire to be next Sanju and Murali Karthick. Claustrophobically prejudiced, outdated analysis, a preference for buzzwords over being original, painfully limited vocabulary which means they end up parroting cliches....it's an endless list.

It's why I choose Harsha over any of the other Indian commentators.

I think the English commentators were V.Razdan, Amol Mazumdar, H.Kanitkar, P.Ojha and Ajay Mehra.

Most of them were horrible and the worst was Razdan. He does not seem to have any eye for talent. Kept criticising a rookie like Rahul Kumar because he was not bowling like a champion bowler. From his commentary, it seems like he can't distinguish between a Bumrah and a Natarajan.

Ojha struggles to form a proper sentence.

Mehra is the most optimistic of the lot.

What worries me is that ... it is these 3rd rung cricketers,  with very limited exposure to international cricket, who become selectors.

If their eye for international quality cricketers is so poor, how will the interesting cricketers, from states with weak teams, come through !!

On 1/30/2021 at 12:59 PM, express bowling said:

I think the English commentators were V.Razdan, Amol Mazumdar, H.Kanitkar, P.Ojha and Ajay Mehra.

Most of them were horrible and the worst was Razdan. He does not seem to have any eye for talent. Kept criticising a rookie like Rahul Kumar because he was not bowling like a champion bowler. From his commentary, it seems like he can't distinguish between a Bumrah and a Natarajan.

Ojha struggles to form a proper sentence.

Mehra is the most optimistic of the lot.

What worries me is that ... it is these 3rd rung cricketers,  with very limited exposure to international cricket, who become selectors.

If their eye for international quality cricketers is so poor, how will the interesting cricketers, from states with weak teams, come through !!

wonder if bcci has a framework to understand the skills needed for talent indentification.. people wud say its more of a natural instinct to spot talent but if you drill it down to granular level it will mostly be cricketing science. One should be evaluated to know if he/she is suitable or not considering the impact their choices would make. 

Edited by Vk1