Ashwin interviews Vikram Rathour- Pant promotion was Kohli's idea

captain who actually won the series by staying with team no one is talking about .  No one talked about Kohli during those struggle time and suddenly series won and whole PR is hell bent on attributing the victory to bhagora Kohli. How shameful one can be atleast for few days give credit to Rahane who took us out from humiliation and provided best series victory of our lifetime.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

These coaches have all decided to undermine Rahane's achievements. Started with the motormouth Shastri right after the match. Then Sridhar and Arun carried this forward and now it's Rathour's turn.

However, check Rahane's interview on Cricinfo. Not once he mentions Kohli or any of his ideas. Instead he praises the collective leadership of himself, Rohit, Ashwin and Pujara.

I know who I would believe - these Kohli yesmen or Rahane.

Poor Rahane. Except for that Afg match, he always leads the team when the going gets tough - toughest, in fact. He gets the wins with backs to the wall, but barely any credit. 

These support fellows simply BS ..ing on some points . We are told Shastri was of the opinion that Aussies do not bowl well vs lefties . Here you had a guy who scored 100 in a practice match and what you did ?   You did not pick him.

Nowhere this matches strategy with action taken. 

What was the nugget of genius Virat  suddenly got, to say that Pant should play in 2nd Test . Your team got out for 36 , you knew your tail was almost half the team with Saha and you had kept out a WK  and too a leftie who scored a ton in practice game .Anyone who is sane will do that . . 

No one admits even now that it was a mistake not picking Pant in first match.  

Just total boot licking by all these support staff. 

My sense re:   Rathore coaching - looks like just does mundane routine stuff . We need to see what he achieved as coach with any state team ? 

1. Says Gill at 21 has all sorted out himself and coach has no further input for him  . I would have asked him what is his assessment re: Gill's game vs swing, how he feels he can tackle the swing .  I think he will leave that out to Gill himself . Has he really found why Gill got out always to similar kind of deliveries ? Is it because the ball moved a bit , was he not fully forward , or he finds it difficult when ball rises from length , is he pushing his hands out in front to such balls ? What his view on that and how this can be avoided . Hope he has given a solution else Gill gain will have to figure out himself.  

2. The established guys perhaps hardly get convinced  by Rathore's suggestions - case in point Puji's  discussion. The only area where Pujara need to work out is to pick some singles during his 50 odd deliveries . Why we do not see anything happening in that regard . There has to a method of sneaking few singles without taking risks at least vs couple of bowlers apart from Cummins. That is what coaching is .Keep strong point intact but add a few refinements to overcome weaknesses which is getting exploited by opposition teams .

3. Improving batting of tail -  Tail is still a tail . Nothing has changed . Only hint of improvement is Bhumra . Bhumra being such a thinker would have done that himself  just like Gill did . 

4. If so much preparation was done during lock down and afterwards and inputs were given where to improve why we could not see any of those . I could not believe the way Mayank  was playing vs Starc. So much for inputs !! . Fellow cannot survive even 5 balls in a row . 

To top it all , the batting is still very poor in SENA and  in this series . Its only due to individual brilliance and gritty knocks by lower middle order we got out of jail apart from Pujara and 1 inning of Rahane..

Its the bowlers who had bigger contribution. 

I genuinely feel only  Arun is worthy to continue and Shastri to some extent with some tactical inputs in this series as series unfolded . Rest just  not good enough  for a rich board like BCCI  who can actually scout for the best coaches in the business. 

I dont know what is the Batting coaches role when he is saying that "Kohli's idea was to promote Panth in order to have left right combination" when most of us were also saying the same, and he couldn't do that call from the beginning. Rathoure seems good guy but his job is limited to giving some presentation based on Analyst's graphs and analysis, and throwing some balls to the batsmen for practice. 

4 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Virat made a blunder when he picked Pant ahead of Saha. Apart from that i dont see anything wrong in the selection. 

Also even if he selected Pant we would have lost the match. That one session was just freaky. 

What annoys is that coaching team had finalized that Aussies do not bowl that well vs Lefties . Leave aside the result , at least the action should have matched the strategy and we had no leftie in the team

It  looks like things are made up now to look good. 

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

The way Rathour started & said we didn't worked on our batting plans in NZ was noteworthy.  Clearly shows how under Kohli everybody is non serious & execution is way way off.  If we had shown the same spirit like this series in NZ..  We'd have leveled the series 1-1 there. 

He also said they didn't have time before Nztour

Ashwin explained why he sledges Pujara in the team, he said, "Because what happens is, every time an opponent like Nathan Lyon is bowling, Pujji makes it so heart throbbing for me. Every time the ball goes up in the air, I am like 'You know what? Nobody plays like this man. You are making him look like unplayable.' And eventually, everybody will think that I'm not able to make the other batsmen bat like this."

I bet ashwin is watching this forum

2 hours ago, Adamant said:

Haha, great. 

Love this, team management knows that Kohli is the only one who deserves captaincy. 

Lets see if Rahane can hold onto his position after this eng series. 

Posters are now saying Rathour is a sellout :hahaha:

Each of these coaches owe their position and the fat moolah they are making to Kohli and therefore prefer to act as his yesmen. Everything they say about Kohli has to be seen from that lens. They clearly know that the day a new captain takes charge, their days will be numbered

Edited by ShoonyaSifar

If coaches are really giving valuable inputs which players are convinced and work on them results will be visible .

Lets take what we saw in Aus - 

1. Catching - I think all of us saw with Horror. We should have won Sydney too with better catching. Better not to talk about catching standards improvements.

2. Batting - One would have liked to see better results from openers , even MO  (leaving out seniors) .  The only opener who succeeded had done all the home work himself as admitted by Batting coach himself.  The other -Pant was saying he worked extensively in last 1 year and he seems to trust Tarak as per his interview with Boria. Should we give all credit for Sundar & Shardul to Coach . Think not in case of Sundar . The way he faces pace short stuff is due to his stints at MRF as confirmed by Ash. 

3. Bowling - This is where we have seen maximum improvements . Before Aus tour , Siraj would bowl some great overs and bowl all over in some other spells and leak runs . What we saw was a very disciplined Siraj in this series . Big surprise - the consistency he achieved .

Same goes to Shardul . Used to  bowl zaffa and then loose deliveries . Even he has cut down those quite a bit . 

That is how we should evaluate a coach . Hats off to Arun.