2023 Our Best Chance to win World Cup ?

33 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I think 2023 is not going to be as good a chance as 2019 was.  

We had peak Bumrah - a guy who essentially shuts down 10 overs, we had peak KulCha, guys who ruled the middle overs.  Oh and add Bhuvi, Shami to the mix.  

This was the best bowling unit India has had in this century, maybe even longer.  And the batting resources had prime Rohit and prime Kohli, both India ODI ATGs already.  And we had a bunch of quality batsmen around them.

The problem was the utter mismanagement of resources by our team, that led to the sad underachievement in 2019.  2023 is a long way away, and to expect that level of dominance in Asian conditions is no given.  

Too early to say at this point. But my gut says 2023 is going to break the sequence of host teams winning the WC.  

2019 was a missed opportunity indeed.

4 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

With three geriatrics over 35 (36, 38 and 35) in top 4, forget winning the WC, even reaching semi finals will be a miracle. No team has ever won a WC with such an old top order

But we are playing at home  Rohit and Kohli are in their prime form of the life today I think the trend will continue for two more years

1 minute ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

With three geriatrics over 35 (36, 38 and 35) in top 4, forget winning the WC, even reaching semi finals will be a miracle. No team has ever won a WC with such an old top order

World cup is sometimes away...

Even kohli of all people is not sure his place.. but still we can draw conclusions.

Dhawan- he has the high chance of being replaced with maybe jaiswal or paddikal.. hinges on dhawan performance moving from here to world cup.

Rohit- still our 2nd best bat in LOI was gun last world cup.. at 36 in 2023 world cup let's see how he goes ahead with his batting but im quite confident he will be there & around at top.

Kohli- our batting fulcrum in loi.. 34-35 going into world cup.. he wil be there in all scenarios.. only if he has major slump or career threating injury I don't think him missing out.

Just now, helperononline said:

But we are playing at home  Rohit and Kohli are in their prime form of the life today I think the trend will continue for two more years

Age factor is not problem. Problem is they are playing to many matches together in same order. Need to Dhawan replacement and kohli at no 4. We should find solid no 3 batsman. May be gill good option for opener or no3 position.

21 minutes ago, King6 said:

Age factor is not problem. Problem is they are playing to many matches together in same order. Need to Dhawan replacement and kohli at no 4. We should find solid no 3 batsman. May be gill good option for opener or no3 position.

Well decision on playing Dhawan can be taken based on his form going forward

Gill had all shots in his book and we have to Play him in top 3 otherwise his talent his wasted like we did with Rohit for so many years

Edited by helperononline
9 minutes ago, helperononline said:

Rahul ,pant, pandya all these players are big hitters they don't play according to suitation

What will you do if India lose 4 wickets under 10 over pandya and pant cannot come and hit sixes for the remaining 40 overs right ? We really need someone down the order to play with responsibility incase of collapse currently we don't have that one player 

Where is this coming from? Did u watched recently concluded india-aus series where pandya nd jadeja anchored the ship in last odi when we were reeling at 150/5 in i guess 30 overs around.. & these two not only anchored but provided the late impetus to help us reach 296...

& How often our top order has failed.. i mean all three in a single match... Whenever it happened we lost the match even with ur anchors a la dhoni nd jadhav..

Look at gun batting line-ups like England & australia... How many anchors do u find in it? Heck even new Zealand's has clutch players in its middle nd late middle order..

With odi now days played in roads all over the world.. the need for middle & late middle anchors are gone.. we are done with thala & jadhav kinda players for fs

28 minutes ago, helperononline said:

Rahul ,pant, pandya all these players are big hitters they don't play according to suitation

What will you do if India lose 4 wickets under 10 over pandya and pant cannot come and hit sixes for the remaining 40 overs right ? We really need someone down the order to play with responsibility incase of collapse currently we don't have that one player 

& One more thing to clarify.. Rahul is not a big hitter..he is a timer of the ball.. he can change gears according to situation.. watch his recent ipl batting nd u will comprehend.. where he scored bucket loads of runs.. but was still criticized for his slow scoring rate (120sr & around)..& 120 sr is still decent in t20

He has himself said .. power hitting doesn't come to him naturally..

Only true power hitter we have in our team is pandya.. & pandya himself has shown he can bat according to situation.. not blind slogging a la afridi irrespective of match situation..

Pant also i don't consider him a power hitter.. he matches timing of his shot to his power to hit sixes.. & whenever he tries to slog it he loses shape & gets out... There's a reason why he is out of our loi team

Edited by Amit228
7 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

Where is this coming from? Did u watched recently concluded india-aus series where pandya nd jadeja anchored the ship in last odi when we were reeling at 150/5 in i guess 30 overs around.. & these two not only anchored but provided the late impetus to help us reach 296...

& How often our top order has failed.. i mean all three in a single match... Whenever it happened we lost the match even with ur anchors a la dhoni nd jadhav..

Look at gun batting line-ups like England & australia... How many anchors do u find in it? Heck even new Zealand's has clutch players in its middle nd late middle order..

With odi now days played in roads all over the world.. the need for middle & late middle anchors are gone.. we are done with thala & jadhav kinda players for fs

Do u remember Mike Hussey I am searching for that type of player

Yes we won one game with jaddu and pandya doing well but we lost first two games because we could not finish them towards the end

5 minutes ago, Norman said:

This is the Aussie team that played in the 2007 world cup final against Sri Lanka.

Adam Gilchrist (36)
Matthew Hayden (36)
Ricky Ponting (33)
Andrew Symonds (32)
Michael Clarke (26)
Shane Watson (26)
Michael Hussey (32)
Brad Hogg (36)
Glenn McGrath (37)
Nathan Bracken (30)
Shaun Tait (24)

To those who're saying "old geriatrics" can't win a world cup.

Top post

For Legends age is just a Number

5 minutes ago, helperononline said:

Yes we won one game with jaddu and pandya doing well but we lost first two games because we could not finish them towards the end

Pandya played super innings in 1st odi. Do you think dhoni will finish from that type of situation. 

5 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

& One more thing to clarify.. Rahul is not a big hitter..he is a timer of the ball.. he can change gears according to situation.. watch his recent ipl batting nd u will comprehend.. where he scored bucket loads of runs.. but was still criticized for his slow scoring rate (120sr & around)..& 120 sr is still decent in t20

He has himself said .. power hitting doesn't come to him naturally..

Only true power hitter we have in our team is pandya.. & pandya himself has shown he can bat according to situation.. not blind slogging a la afridi irrespective of match situation..

Pant also i don't consider him a power hitter.. he matches timing of his shot to his power to hit sixes.. & whenever he tries to slog it he loses shape & gets out... There's a reason why he is out of our loi team

In gabba pant batted with maturity if he can continue doing that he will make a great finisher even dhoni used to bat like pant but later he started playing according to match suitation 

Pandya and rahul we cannot comment  now will have to see them for some more time in the middle order personally I see rahul as a better opener than a finisher 

3 minutes ago, helperononline said:

Nd where do u find hussey equivalent in india??

Let's Analyse our current middle order. ( I have included pant tho he is not in our current loi team but going into World cup)

4. Iyer- not a power hitter.. can only hit to spinners.. plays according to situation, decent bat.

5. Rahul- not a power hitter.. depends on his timing to hit sixes can play according to situation.. has been phenomenal of late.

6. Pant- power hitter but matches his timing to hit.. can play according to situation.. however he has brain farts more often for my liking. Work in progress but a gun batsman can win on his own in his days.

7. Pandya- power hitter but is not a blind slogger a la afridi.. can play according to situation & hit when required.

8. Jadeja- has improved his power hitting immensely of late.. can provide much needed cushion to our lower order..

Now find me a better middle & lower middle order.. include gill at no 4 ..& we have a gun middle order which  can play according to all situations & will be on par with England middle order

14 minutes ago, helperononline said:

No batsman remains in prime form after the age of 35 as reflexes slow down. Kohli will be no exception. If we do not start playing younger players in top 3 from now on, we are doomed

2 minutes ago, King6 said:

Pandya played super innings in 1st odi. Do you think dhoni will finish from that type of situation. 

Dhoni even if he cannot finish the match he will take it till the last over now talking about first odi pandya lost his wicket in 38 over and jaddu lost his wicket in 45th over if pandya  had taken it till last over we might have won that match even saini has scored 29 off 35 balls so it is about staying till the end and getting runs off weak bowlers

5 minutes ago, helperononline said:

In gabba pant batted with maturity if he can continue doing that he will make a great finisher even dhoni used to bat like pant but later he started playing according to match suitation 

Pandya and rahul we cannot comment  now will have to see them for some more time in the middle order personally I see rahul as a better opener than a finisher 

We need to get over this dhoni mentality.. dhoni was gun till 2016.. then after 2016 he just regressed to an appalling level..

He was there in team to just eat dot balls nd sucking out all momentum out of the innings.. only to be fooling indian fans (more appropriate to say dhoni fans) in cloak of providing stability to our middle order.. & than we had jadhav of all people as our no 6 bat.. lol

22 minutes ago, Norman said:

This is the Aussie team that played in the 2007 world cup final against Sri Lanka.

Adam Gilchrist (36)
Matthew Hayden (36)
Ricky Ponting (33)
Andrew Symonds (32)
Michael Clarke (26)
Shane Watson (26)
Michael Hussey (32)
Brad Hogg (36)
Glenn McGrath (37)
Nathan Bracken (30)
Shaun Tait (24)

To those who're saying "old geriatrics" can't win a world cup.

Comparing an all conquering team which had won two WCs and a CT in 2006 prior to 2007 with the current Indian team which cannot even win bilaterals away from home. Good to dream but reality will bite soon

BTW even that Aus side did not have three geriatrics in their top 3.

10 minutes ago, Amit228 said:

Nd where do u find hussey equivalent in india??

Let's Analyse our current middle order. ( I have included pant tho he is not in our current loi team but going into World cup)

4. Iyer- not a power hitter.. can only hit to spinners.. plays according to situation, decent bat.

5. Rahul- not a power hitter.. depends on his timing to hit sixes can play according to situation.. has been phenomenal of late.

6. Pant- power hitter but matches his timing to hit.. can play according to situation.. however he has brain farts more often for my liking. Work in progress but a gun batsman can win on his own in his days.

7. Pandya- power hitter but is not a blind slogger a la afridi.. can play according to situation & hit when required.

8. Jadeja- has improved his power hitting immensely of late.. can provide much needed cushion to our lower order..

Now find me a better middle & lower middle order.. include gill at no 4 ..& we have a gun middle order which  can play according to all situations & will be on par with England middle order

Agree with you 100 percent 

But pant Iyer Rahul have not played many matches for us in middle order we have to play them for some match starting from this year 

and see if they show finishing ability 

As far as Jadeja is concerned he has batted lot down the order I trust his batting he is a good lower order bat but still  we need one reliable proven middle order batsman