Joe Root will beat Tendulkar's record : Geoff Boycott

Sgattick10

1 minute ago, Stan AF said:

He could not have played 200 tests. Sorry. He was not making enough runs. He was not an asset and as usual you're making things up.

As for sachin i have always said he should have retired after 2011/12 BG Trophy. Nothing more to add there. He was still averaging 55 then.

As for shameless hanging on no one can beat kohli who is shamelessly hanging on to both India and rcb captaincy and uses his pr overdrive to stay relevant.

England plays 10 to 12 test a year, Cook by this time would have played almost 180 or 190. He scored 100 in his last test before his retirement , I am not making anything up.Opening batsmen always go thru lulls in their careers .

Kohli is not hanging to Indian captaincy. He is the best captain for India in all formats. RCB I don't care whether they keep him or dump him.

If Kohli hangs to to score some useless and meaningless records in Indian team, I would be first to criticize him.

And as for the topic , Joe root cannot cross tendulkar's record even with age on his side. You're looking at making another 8000 odd test runs at roughly 50+ average which considering root's track record so far it is impossible. Nothing against the man but it is what it is.

And if there's someone who can beat tendulkar's record of making test 100s it would be steve smith. It will be increasing difficult for him to make those 100s at the same consistency when he reaches his mid 30s but it will be an interesting battle. He still has to score another 25 100s.

Smith will score more 100s at a higher than test average than all batsman barring bradman.

I don't think that most runs is a meaningless stat. 

It is probably the first question a newbie will ask when someone introduces him to batting. 

But 200 tests is surely a meaningless stat. 

100 centuries is another great achievement but it doesn't mean you play like a scared kitten against bangladesh and lose your team the match just to achieve that number. 

Edited by Adamant

If Ponting and Kallis could not, no one else will. It's the same as Murali's 800 wickets. Unlikely any player will have the longevity and consistency to get closer.

Plus English Test cricketers after the age of 34-35 seem to fade away quickly, Gooch and Anderson being the notable exceptions. Root however does have the chance of finishing with most runs among this generations fab 4. 

Steve smith is probably the only player who has and will continue to have a single player/batsman impact on his team since Sir Donald Bradman. This one statistic alone should tell you how much he's worth to that team. Since 2015, All the ashes tests won by australia in england has his name as the MOTM. That is 4/9 tests he played in england and all are wins.

11 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

And as for the topic , Joe root cannot cross tendulkar's record even with age on his side. You're looking at making another 8000 odd test runs at roughly 50+ average which considering root's track record so far it is impossible. Nothing against the man but it is what it is.

And if there's someone who can beat tendulkar's record of making test 100s it would be steve smith. It will be increasing difficult for him to make those 100s at the same consistency when he reaches his mid 30s but it will be an interesting battle. He still has to score another 25 100s.

Smith will score more 100s at a higher than test average than all batsman barring bradman.

What I meant here is if smith ends up with say 45-50 100s at near 60 average with more wins contributing directly to his team it is by far a more impressive statistic than say making 51 100s.

This year will actually decide whether root will get close or not..  Away Ashes tour & coming India tour..  If he comes out with flying colors as a player..  I'd say he has a shot to come near to Tendu.  Eng are playing 17-18 tests per year.  He has age on his side as well.  Let's see though we saw that with Cook as well (to me he retired a bit early)  still better than likes of Burns & Sibley

2 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

This year will actually decide whether root will get close or not..  Away Ashes tour & coming India tour..  If he comes out with flying colors as a player..  I'd say he has a shot to come near to Tendu.  Eng are playing 17-18 tests per year.  He has age on his side as well.  Let's see though we saw that with Cook as well (to me he retired a bit early)  still better than likes of Burns & Sibley

I think its more like 12-15. It is impossible to play 18 in a year.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Cook did the right thing, hanging up rather playing for meaningless records like Sachin. I don't think Root will stay that long either.

Cook is an unselfish guy and that made him earn the trust of the team. He once was on 90 in an ODI and could have had a century with plenty of balls to spare but he told his teammate to go for the shots and finish the game early. You could see the same behavior in Buttler who doesn't even celebrate a 50. Buttler could have had a 50 in the last innings at Galle yesterday but he chose not to interfere with Sibley's game. I would say Root is in the same mould. He would retire when his time is up and not drag on till he is 40 like srt to play the magical landmark of the only guy to have played 200 tests. I'm not sure about Anderson though. He wants to prolong his career till he overtakes Murali although the ECB won't take it kindly if his form drops. They won't continue to play him and may ask him to retire.

Here's a video where Cook and Anderson are in the SKy studio where Cook makes an interesting point and Anderson seems to be disagreeing with him and possibly annoyed a little bit at 6:30. So yeah statchin's record is there to stay but useless in the end

Edited by Real McCoy

For me the most scary part is not the optimism  that Root is 30 and can overtake Tendulkar. It's the statement that follows. He feels even Kohli can play for similar tenure and double his tally. While that sounds great on its face value, what if that Kohli will continue to be King , I mean the captain for that long ??