Joe Root will beat Tendulkar's record : Geoff Boycott

Sgattick10

7 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Which is why they burnout fast. And most of them end with above average record at best

I think Root will not play T20s in this tour or heck anywhere.  He's extremely fit & batted for almost two days in searing heat in both games.  Cook was goddamn fit but still he retired due to form issues.  Same is going to be the case with Root.   He's 30 & at this rate with 15 tests a year..  He'll get to 190 tests at 36 years of age..  Only thing matters is his form..  What would that be?  Or captaincy will take a toll on him

Edited by Lone Wolf
2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

He was not making enough runs. He was not an asset and as usual you're making things up.

Cook's last 50 innings as a test batsmen were pretty sub-par, his numbers were inflated to  borderline acceptable, with a couple of double hundreds scored on flat tracks.  But @putrevus lacks the ability to be objective when it comes to Tendy, in his quest to bash Tendy, even overrated limited batsmen like Cook become "worthy" and better than Selfish Sachin.  

48 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think Root will not play T20s in this tour or heck anywhere.  He's extremely fit & batted for almost two days in searing heat in both games.  Cook was goddamn fit but still he retired due to form issues.  Same is going to be the case with Root.   He's 30 & at this rate with 15 tests a year..  He'll get to 190 tests at 36 years of age..  Only thing matters is his form..  What would that be?  Or captaincy will take a toll on him

Naah. 190 tests is too many. At best, I'll bet on him going upto 160 tests which will be another 5 years. 

1 hour ago, Lone Wolf said:

Yeah they are playing at least 15 this year alone..  Playing series outside of WTC like vs kiwis last year & now this year as well.  Constantly playing more tests than every team. 

Man, then it is going to be brutal. For a batsman to play even 10-12 tests within a year and to maintain good form for that period itself is a lot to ask. Let's see if Root can replicate the same numbers (228 &186) from SL to India and do it again in Australia later this year.

Personally, I'd like to see more competition among the fab 4 as more or less everyone is in their 30s now and they have maybe another good 4-5 years left in them.

Edited by Stan AF
2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Naah. 190 tests is too many. At best, I'll bet on him going upto 160 tests which will be another 5 years. 

Nope 160 is too less..  He will play his 100th in Chennai vs us next..  Good 5-6 years left in him & Eng playing 14-15 tests every year..  Do the math..  He'll be around 180 games..  If he stays fit & In decent form. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
8 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nope 160 is too less..  He will play his 100th in Chennai vs us next..  Good 5-6 years left in him & Eng playing 14-15 tests every year..  Do the math..  He'll be around 180 games..  If he stays fit & In decent form. 

Max England have played in a 10 year period is 115 tests in 2010s. How are you assuming 80 tests in the next 5-6 years? Add the fact that most Eng batsmen decline very quickly after the age of 33-34, fit of unfit doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, mishra said:

Btw similar statements were made about Alistair Cook. But he regressed very quickly. Root has just about 4-5 years left in his career of which last one to two as baggage

Even Clarke was supposed to break Tendulkar's records. Only a another genius of same class and similar fitness will be able to do so. Lesser batsmen will not be able to achieve what Tendulkar did.

14 hours ago, Serpico said:

if anything he ruined his record from 56 avg to 53 by hanging on for extra two years

He could've also avg closer to 60 if BCCI had mores tests at his peak, especially 94/95 - 2001/02 at home. Among the top 3, Lara & Waugh, he played the least amount of tests in the 90's & yes that includes very few 5 test series - none at home IIRC.

6 minutes ago, KiraReturns23 said:

Not 15k, it is almost 16k, root has just crossed 50% of Sachin's runs and they are dreaming about breaking his record:giggle:

True, Only 79 runs short or 16k. Many people have attributed that record just to his longevity, Even Sangakara fans & also expert were claiming of this record when he was busy bashing Bangladesh as if this was just a maths equation. This record will remain unbroken. Nobody will even come close to that, One bad series and experts will start asking for replacement of Root, same with Smith. Kohli will at best score 10k-11k. 

22 hours ago, sandeep said:

Cook's last 50 innings as a test batsmen were pretty sub-par, his numbers were inflated to  borderline acceptable, with a couple of double hundreds scored on flat tracks.  But @putrevus lacks the ability to be objective when it comes to Tendy, in his quest to bash Tendy, even overrated limited batsmen like Cook become "worthy" and better than Selfish Sachin.  

Are you kidding me, where did I say Cook was equal or better batsman than Sachin. All I said Cook had a chance to beat Sachin's record  of 200 tests but unlike Sachin who was selfish for those records, Cook did not care about those records and retired at 33 years old.He could easily played 200 plus tests.

Saying Sachin was selfish for his own useless records is not bashing him. Indian superstars always have overstayed their usefulness ,Kapil Dev denied Srinath a chance to play more in quest of another useless record of 433.