Wasim Jaffer denies reported 'communal' allegations after quitting as Uttarakhand coach

1 minute ago, IndianRenegade said:

Well Jaffa has denied it happened so the point may be mute.

the difference between your friend doing namaz at your house & coach bringing a religious preacher into the dressing room should be obvious. One is your home, you can do what you want. The other is your place of work, try taking a religious preacher to preach in you place of work & see if your bosses are fine with it.

Valid point. All it says that Maulavi visted. Which even true doesn’t means jaffar was doing anything wrong. Those players may have asked to help them with prayers so to skip mosque and get more training time. I can understand the reason. Cricket ground and its players are not exactly corporate office and corporate employees.

29 minutes ago, PunterLog said:

Are you seriously saying that it's ok to bring Maulvis into grounds to read Namaz? :facepalm:

Bringing Maulvi into the ground is an issue only when Maulvi is proselytising or disturbing the players. Otherwise why is it an issue? Coaches and players  may also bring their friends and family also sometimes. Also it happened one or two times, why make a big deal of it?  

10 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

the difference between your friend doing namaz at your house & coach bringing a religious preacher into the dressing room should be obvious. One is your home, you can do what you want. The other is your place of work, try taking a religious preacher to preach in you place of work & see if your bosses are fine with it.

Thats a loaded statement, unless we know that these maulvi approached other players, it is a moot point. He may be there as a friend of Jaffer. 

3 minutes ago, mishra said:

Valid point. All it says that Maulavi visted. Which even true doesn’t means jaffar was doing anything wrong. Those players may have asked to help them with prayers so to skip mosque and get more training time. I can understand the reason. Cricket ground and its players are not exactly corporate office and corporate employees.

Not exactly a corporate office, but I don’t know what the boards policies were regarding religious activities. But it looks like it was looked down upon irrespective of whether it happened. 

My personal opinion is all religious activities should be minimum.

31 minutes ago, mishra said:

So if i want to say jai shri ram i need to say that only in temple. What kind of mentality is that? He isn’t changing cricket ground into mosque. My frnd did namaz in my house when he stayed overnight . I am perfectly fine with that. It his belief and I don’t want to stop it

Saying jay shri ram or allahu akbar is fine i think most muslim cricketers chants masaalllah/subhan allah/ Alhamdulillah in match as well so on the same token saying jai shri ram is not wrong. However calling Pandit in stadium and doing hawan/satyanaryan ki puja during break will not go well with many hence calling Maulvi for reading namaz is wrong in work place. For pooja/ namaz there is respective places you can go there and perform your practice.

25 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think Maulavi thing is not too much of an issue...  There is no restriction on that.  But selection bias is the main issue.  I do hope Jaffer didn't had any hand in that. 

Even Irfan Pathan was alleged of biasing & corruption in JKCA but that's what happens in every nook & corner of J&K. 

Why not how can you call maulvi/pandit at work place... it's absolutely ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

I don't know anything about this specific issue. Just saw the thread here.

The part in bold is incorrect. A maulvi is simply a scholar of Islam. Whose KRA is to lead prayers/ explain prayers. A maulvi doesn't necessarily preach/proselytise. 

3 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

It shows our mentality that most are going after Jaffer without agreeing  to his side of the story. He is the doemstic great having played for India, yet we dont trust him because he is a muslim. What credential this Mahim varma having? Just because he is some BCCI babu, he can accuse Jaffer after his resignation?  

Mahim Varma is saying they are not happy with the UK performance in Syed mushtaq Ali trophy and they decided to change the captain. Thats insane if you decide to act based on t-20 results.

Now as far he preferred Muslim players, how many Muslim players were there in the team? 

https://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/squad/1245610.html

3 players and 2 are guest players. 

If you are having a coach, at least give me an year and see what he can do instead of interfering with the team like they are big bosses. And when he resigns, accuse him of bias and bring Muslim angle so that brainless right wingers go after him. Shame. 

Most people are not going after Jaffer or not trusting him mate. And absolutely not because he is Muslim. I dont know where you are getting that from.

The questions are about him allowing a Maulavi to come into a team's dressing room, which he has not denied btw. Its not the right place for a religious person to be at. Do it at your personal space if its absolutely necessary.

5 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Most people are not going after Jaffer or not trusting him mate. And absolutely not because he is Muslim. I dont know where you are getting that from.

The questions are about him allowing a Maulavi to come into a team's dressing room, which he has not denied btw. Its not the right place for a religious person to be at. Do it at your personal space if its absolutely necessary.

Actually he has denied bringing a maulavi.

2 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

Maulvi was brought into the dressing room because the players could not go out for Friday prayers because of the bio bubble. I agree that even bringing in an outsider into the bubble is a breach but Jaffer has clearly stated that they had asked for permission from Uttarakhand Board. So the board was fine while granting permission for this but as soon as Jaffer resigned they raised this point to show communal bias from him. 

1 hour ago, PunterLog said:

Yeah, bringing in Maulvis into cricket grounds is entirely normal.

And you couldn't resist yourself from making the "cow" jibes. I bet you think all the commentors are bigots but you are a beacon of secular values.

After seeing all the jibes that are taken against the Muslim community in this forum I thought taking religious jibes was fine in this forum. Or is that reserved only for one community? 

16 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Ok, the point is I can’t bring my pandit to do Pooja at my workplace.

Why not?

First off, 'workplace' in the context of an office with cubicles and a cricket ground are not comparable.

Also, do you not have Diwali Laxmi Pooja in the office? I know its once a year, but the point I am making is that there are TONS of offices in India which have a Pandit come over and conduct a Laxmi pooja during Diwali. 

Invoking blessings of the almighty before a task are common practices. What if a maulvi came over ( after the necessary permits) and quickly conducted a prayer session in some part of the field? Why the antagonism?

Edited by Mariyam
1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Why not?

First off, 'workplace' in the context of an office with cubicles and a cricket ground are not comparable.

Also, do you not have Diwali Laxmi Pooja in the office? I know its once a year, but the point I am making is that there are TONS of offices in India which have a Pandit come over and conduct a Laxmi pooja during Diwali. 

Invoking blessings from the almighty before a task are common practices. What if a maulvi came over ( after necessary permits) and quickly conducted a prayer session in some part of the field? Why the antagonism?

Leave offices. Here we have the defence minister of the Govt of India which is supposed to be a secular country doing Pooja of a new fighter plane being inducted into the Air force. But 4 people praying for 10 mins a week in the cricket dressing room without involving others is a problem. 

2 minutes ago, bahadur_billa said:

Leave offices. Here we have the defence minister of the Govt of India which is supposed to be a secular country doing Pooja of a new fighter plane being inducted into the Air force. But 4 people praying for 10 mins a week in the cricket dressing room without involving others is a problem. 

I see nothing wrong in Rajnath doing Pooja for fighter plane just like Wasim doing Namaz in the cricket ground. Its just paying almighty for the better, why so much rage? 

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

Why not?

Invoking blessings from the almighty before a task are common practices. What if a maulvi came over ( after necessary permits) and quickly conducted a prayer session in some part of the field? Why the antagonism?

I no longer live in India, but even when I did, I don’t remember any incident a pandit was brought to perform Pooja at my place of work.

if all the necessary permissions were sought & given I see no problem. 

But as matter of personal preference religious activities should be kept to a minimum & at a personal level at a place of work.