Wasim Jaffer denies reported 'communal' allegations after quitting as Uttarakhand coach

9 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

I see nothing wrong in Rajnath doing Pooja for fighter plane just like Wasim doing Namaz in the cricket ground. Its just paying almighty for the better, why so much rage? 

He can do that as Rajnath but not as a defence minister of the country over an object bought from the money of people belonging to all faiths of India. Imagine the rage had AK Antony during his tenure put a Cross on a fighter plane. 

3 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

No he has denied asking for a Maulvi, but he says he was asked for  permission by the captain. And he didnt say he denied said permission.

"Among the other allegations made against him was a request to bring a maulvi inside a bio-bubble for the players to pray. Jaffer, however, said it wasn't his decision to call the maulvi and even the required permissions were taken by the team manager Navneet Mishra for the same."

Not his decision plus permission given by the board. I don't understand how it became an issue after he resigned. 

16 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Actually what Rajnath did was more problematic, it wasn’t his personal property. He performed Pooja on a machine funded by tax payers. 

I see it differently. We are a Hindu majority country and our culture and beliefs are strongly emboldened in our life. Out secularism is based on non-discrimination based on religion but I dont think there is anything wrong in following our culture in our workplace. If it creates an outage among some people, thats their problem. 

For eg: I have kept god's photo in my cabin , because I follow my culture. Now is it bringing religion to workplace. May be, but so what? Does it hurt others? Why should it? 

I have a muslim colleague who does Namaz every day in the corner of a workplace turning to certain direction. Why should I have a problem with it? 

I see government bus drivers do Pooja to bus and use garland to decorate during certain festivals. Should we outrage because Bus is tax payers? 

Similarly Rajnath may have done some pooja because that is in our culture to do pooja when we buy something new and expensive. Now if some people gets outrage, they can go n take a hike. 

40 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Why not?

First off, 'workplace' in the context of an office with cubicles and a cricket ground are not comparable.

Also, do you not have Diwali Laxmi Pooja in the office? I know its once a year, but the point I am making is that there are TONS of offices in India which have a Pandit come over and conduct a Laxmi pooja during Diwali. 

Invoking blessings of the almighty before a task are common practices. What if a maulvi came over ( after the necessary permits) and quickly conducted a prayer session in some part of the field? Why the antagonism?

There is a difference between celebrating n and puja. I have seen, diwali, Christmas, eid celebration in offices but never seen Maulvi or pandit beinng called. You can call pandit or maulvi running your own business. But how can you call maulvis and perform namaz in a state level team dug out. It's getting ridiculous that people justifying it. There is no harm in practicing your religion as an individual doing namaaz or puja and n your room. But calling it among group of people where many of them are not from your religion is not right. I am talking this in general sense as I don't know if Jaffar actually did it.

There is nothing to be wrong if maulavi / pundit  came into dressing room for  doing blessing or prayers .is not true that  GOV took blessings  with every religious preacher  before procurement of every major artillery even Rafale. What’s   wrong to get blessing for your success whether it’s maulavi or pundi:dontknow:

Edited by VT87
19 minutes ago, raki05 said:

There is a difference between celebrating n and puja. I have seen, diwali, Christmas, eid celebration in offices but never seen Maulvi or pandit beinng called. You can call pandit or maulvi running your own business. But how can you call maulvis and perform namaz in a state level team dug out. It's getting ridiculous that people justifying it. There is no harm in practicing your religion as an individual doing namaaz or puja and n your room. But calling it among group of people where many of them are not from your religion is not right. I am talking this in general sense as I don't know if Jaffar actually did it.

I have seen a Laxmi pooja conducted by a pandit ji in the premises of the Bombay HC and in the office of a Big 4 accounting firm. The client had invited us there. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this. 

Look, I really do not know anything about this issue. My knowledge is limited to the tweet posted by @Ankit_sharma03 where some 'journalist' called this as cricket jihad. And the link in the OP where Jaffer's side of the story is mentioned.

Where does it say that the namaz took place in close proximity of others who were from other religions etc? Or that prayers were conducted in the dug out?

Hypothetically, someone one wants to pray. He can't leave the bio bubble. He calls for a maulana to conduct prayers. Where is the problem here?

Edited by Mariyam
41 minutes ago, bahadur_billa said:

He can do that as Rajnath but not as a defence minister of the country over an object bought from the money of people belonging to all faiths of India. Imagine the rage had AK Antony during his tenure put a Cross on a fighter plane. 

Did not Antony's wife apply a cross to INS Virat? Its her belief. 

"There was garland, coconut and every other requirements which we see normally for Hindu Pujas. The priest performed puja and later asked me to apply kum-kum (vermilion) to the carrier praying to the god I believed. Since I’m traditionally a Catholic Christian, I believe in Jesus, hence when they asked me to apply kumu-kum I drew a cross’ she said.

https://www.boomlive.in/did-former-defence-minister-ak-antonys-wife-baptise-the-ins-vikrant-a-factcheck/

Edited by urbestfriend
13 minutes ago, urbestfriend said:

I see it differently. We are a Hindu majority country and our culture and beliefs are strongly emboldened in our life. Out secularism is based on non-discrimination based on religion but I dont think there is anything wrong in following our culture in our workplace. If it creates an outage among some people, thats their problem. 

For eg: I have kept god's photo in my cabin , because I follow my culture. Now is it bringing religion to workplace. May be, but so what? Does it hurt others? Why should it? 

I have a muslim colleague who does Namaz every day in the corner of a workplace turning to certain direction. Why should I have a problem with it? 

I see government bus drivers do Pooja to bus and use garland to decorate during certain festivals. Should we outrage because Bus is tax payers? 

Similarly Rajnath may have done some pooja because that is in our culture to do pooja when we buy something new and expensive. Now if some people gets outrage, they can go n take a hike. 

There is a clear difference between keeping God's picture or religious scriptures in your office or on your table as a minister and depicting the same on a govt property. As I said had AK Antony done the same and put a Cross on the plane would it be considered alright by the people of this country. The equivalent of this would be Jaffer asking everyone to stop training during Friday prayers while the 4 players pray. 

51 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Actually what Rajnath did was more problematic, it wasn’t his personal property. He performed Pooja on a machine funded by tax payers. 

If i am to guess, you live in a country like US. India has traditions and doing puja / worshipping your trade and offering it to god is one of them. As i said, i do not see any issue in Jaffar facilitating those players with a Maulavi who may help them some religious knowledge and procedure is absolutely fine to me. People making a fuss to a level where he stands down is nothing but office politics. Thats how i see it. Lets agree to disagree

Edited by mishra
2 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I have seen a Laxmi pooja conducted by a pandit ji in the premises of the Bombay HC and in the office of a Big 4 accounting firm. The client had invited us there. I don't think there is anything wrong with this. 

Look, I really do not know anything about this issue. My knowledge is limited to the tweet posted by @Ankit_sharma03 where some 'journalist' called this as cricket jihad. And the link in the OP where Jaffer's side of the story is mentioned.

Where does it say that the namaz took place in close proximity of others who were from other religions etc? Or that prayers were conducted in the dug out?

Hypothetically, someone one wants to pray. He can't leave the bio bubble. He calls for a maulana to conduct prayers. Where is the problem here?

Even I don't know what actually happened and who is right. But calling religious person on work place is not right. If you have to perform namaz or puja you can do by self why do u need maulvi or pandit for that especially while you are at work. You can go to Mosque if you can't do by self. Why to call Maulvi at your work with different religious background people out there. Had it been eid festival I am all ok by considering covid and it's once in an year thing  but calling maulvi for Friday prayers is not once in an year affair. You are calling someone called pandit for Laksmi pooja may be that would be holiday in office. But I have worked mostly in mnc and Indian IT firms and so far of my 12 years of career I have never seen such practices anywhere.

8 minutes ago, bahadur_billa said:

There is a clear difference between keeping God's picture or religious scriptures in your office or on your table as a minister and depicting the same on a govt property. As I said had AK Antony done the same and put a Cross on the plane would it be considered alright by the people of this country. The equivalent of this would be Jaffer asking everyone to stop training during Friday prayers while the 4 players pray. 

Puja was performed by all religious preacher not just by pandit. It's a normal practice looks like in Indian defence where pooja was performed by all religion preacher whenever a deffence equipment are procured.

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I have seen a Laxmi pooja conducted by a pandit ji in the premises of the Bombay HC and in the office of a Big 4 accounting firm. The client had invited us there. I don't think there is anything wrong with any of this. 

Namaz is mandated 5 times a day. If someone has to do does he needs to go to mosque everytime. He can do where he works without making a gathering. Person wants to do it let him do it as long as he isn’t disturbing anyone or taking a spot as for his ritual to a level that others have to leave. People can accommodate 

22 minutes ago, bahadur_billa said:

False equivalence is the order of the day, is it?

As I said, I dont see anything to outrage like you doing if Antony's wife put a cross on INS Virat. Puja is not done every day, it is done at the beginning of anything auspicious or some festival. While 4 prayers can do their prayer, why it it same as asking others to stop? But it may be ok, if it is some yearly thing or some eid prayers where others can also be accommodative. 

5 hours ago, urbestfriend said:

I trust wasim jaffer more than these administrators who wants to play their favorite players and when called out, complain. If wasim is so religious, why no one had a problem when he was playing for vidharba. He was also a mentor there. 

I talked to players in our club who were there with Jaffer. There were certainly some issues.