Wasim Jaffer denies reported 'communal' allegations after quitting as Uttarakhand coach

7 hours ago, NameGoesHere said:

Now I know how easily people are manipulated.  You guys in particular.  

A few people on this thread have already blamed Jaffer from a religious perspective.  You don't have a frikkin clue -  because  this is a selection issue.  Religion has been deliberately brought up by Verma the BCCI appointed cricket association secretary to discredit Jaffer.

Both Verma and Jaffer are 'outsiders'(to Uttarakand).  But at least Jaffer has credibilty.  Verma, on the other hand is a nonentity, a piece of work (supported by scumbag Shukla).

Verma and his gang had one selection list, Jaffer had another.

Ultimately I don't know who was right or wrong, but given the people involved I'd rather believe an (ex) cricket player than a bureaucrat who is basically an oily political appointee and someone suspected to be on the take.  

I also personally know that this is impacting young players.

/thread

19 hours ago, mishra said:

So if i want to say jai shri ram i need to say that only in temple. What kind of mentality is that? He isn’t changing cricket ground into mosque. My frnd did namaz in my house when he stayed overnight . I am perfectly fine with that. It his belief and I don’t want to stop it

Is your IQ level sub 80?

The players can read Namaz in the ground, no need to bring in Maulvis.

If you bring the local Priest to say Jai Shri Ram into the cricket ground, I'd oppose too.

Edited by PunterLog
3 hours ago, PunterLog said:

By the same logic, why were Maulvis brought in thereby breaching the bio bubble?

It's been mentioned on this thread before. It was after permission was sought and granted by the management. Would be fair to assume that the necessary Covid tests were conducted.

If one had to mitigate risk, would you have 3-4 players visit a masjid where there would be scores of people who aren't vetted for the virus or would you rather check one person and admit him to the bio bubble?

1 minute ago, Mariyam said:

It's been mentioned on this thread before. It was after permission was sought and granted by the management. Would be fair to assume that the necessary Covid tests were conducted.

If one had to mitigate risk, would you have 3-4 players visit a masjid where there would be scores of people who aren't vetted for the virus or would you rather check one person and admit him to the bio bubble?

Can't players read Namaz or offer their prayers without bringing in a Maulvi?

6 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

They can. It was a Friday prayer arrangement in this case where people generally/traditionally prefer a maulvi to lead the prayers and then spend some time on post prayer exposition.

Are Friday prayer arrangements absolutely necessary inside a cricket camp during COVID times?

Religion precedes everything I guess.

15 minutes ago, PunterLog said:

Are Friday prayer arrangements absolutely necessary inside a cricket camp during COVID times?

Religion precedes everything I guess.

Necessary? Are you asking me if I think it is necessary?

My opinion is one should adjust when one can. In Covid times forego the need to bring in anyone into the bio bubble. Lots of players forego fasting during Ramazan, for example.  But its what the players feel that counts.

Some players asked for a moulvi, the management acquiesced. 

Look, I would think ( or like to) that there is some SoP for situations of the sort. For all we know, the prayers would have been held at some corner of the premise far away from the others. No one missed any training session. No training was stopped. Its not a case of prayers over everything else.

Edited by Mariyam

I am just wondering if it was the other way around, the sympathy the love the support would have been for the other party. Thats how the things roll.

Just imagine if any coach had objected to "Namaz" in the dressing room like how conveniently players where told to forgo the "sikh chant" for "Go xyz" .

5 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

I am just wondering if it was the other way around, the sympathy the love the support would have been for the other party. Thats how the things roll.

Just imagine if any coach had objected to "Namaz" in the dressing room like how conveniently players where told to forgo the "sikh chant" for "Go xyz" .

Moulvi came for a single player whereas the religious chant was supposed to be said by players belonging to all faiths. A sports team shouldn’t have a religious chant especially in a diverse country like India.

2 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Moulvi came for a single player whereas the religious chant was supposed to be said by players belonging to all faiths. A sports team shouldn’t have a religious chant especially in a diverse country like India.

Tbh it shouldn't matter. Things like different faiths shouldn't even be discussed in a sporting environment. 

5 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

He can chant anything as an individual. Others shouldn’t be forced to say that. 

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

18 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

Agian, no sports team in India should have a religious chant. I am pretty sure your opinion would be different if J&K team had ‘Bolo Takbir, Allahu Akbar’ as their chant as most of their players are Muslims.

14 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Agian, no sports team in India should have a religious chant. I am pretty sure your opinion would be different if J&K team had ‘Bolo Takbir, Allahu Akbar’ as their chant as most of their players are Muslims.

I am pretty sure no coach would force couple or few of them to forgo the chants lol