Jump to content
rangeelaraja

Wasim Jaffer denies reported 'communal' allegations after quitting as Uttarakhand coach

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

He can chant anything as an individual. Others shouldn’t be forced to say that. 

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

 

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

 

 

Link to post
18 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

 

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

 

 

Agian, no sports team in India should have a religious chant. I am pretty sure your opinion would be different if J&K team had ‘Bolo Takbir, Allahu Akbar’ as their chant as most of their players are Muslims.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Agian, no sports team in India should have a religious chant. I am pretty sure your opinion would be different if J&K team had ‘Bolo Takbir, Allahu Akbar’ as their chant as most of their players are Muslims.

I am pretty sure no coach would force couple or few of them to forgo the chants lol

Link to post

Sorry affair with He-says He-says. Turning into communal in cricketing matters is even more sorry. It all seems like a selection squabble, my guy is better than your guy. Selectors select and coaches coach  in a professional world. They seemed to have stepped on each others’ toes, we have no clue. If the workings are untenable, it is better to not work together. I don’t want to judge whether maulvis are not invited to training, but when basic level of trust is not there among Mgmt and coach, all such issues crop up. Appearances are perceived in a wrong way. But there is no room for a “Ram bhakt hanuman ki jai’ naara for a team in sports. We are not Pakistan. But, the official accuses that Jaffer didn’t want Uttarakhand ki jai also, as he had issues saying jai! Don’t we all say say Jai Hind after the national anthem? Then, again we have no clue who is at fault, Jaffer comes out more credible than the local officials. 
 

But some blaming BJP, majoritarianism, Hindu rashtra ideology etc., is also trolling. Feeling Sorry for Jaffer to get mixed up, he is a likeable guy. He had liked my tweet when I had wished him well on retirement. SM savvy. 

Edited by coffee_rules
Link to post
19 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Sorry affair with He-says He-says. Turning into communal in cricketing matters is even more sorry. It all seems like a selection squabble, my guy is better than your guy. Selectors select and coaches coach  in a professional world. They seemed to have stepped on each others’ toes, we have no clue. If the workings are untenable, it is better to not work together. I don’t want to judge whether maulvis are not invited to training, but when basic level of trust is not there among Mgmt and coach, all such issues crop up. Appearances are perceived in a wrong way. But there is no room for a “Ram bhakt hanuman ki jai’ naara for a team in sports. We are not Pakistan. But, the official accuses that Jaffer didn’t want Uttarakhand ki jai also, as he had issues saying jai! Don’t we all say say Jai Hind after the national anthem? Then, again we have no clue who is at fault, Jaffer comes out more credible than the local officials. 
 

But some blaming BJP, majoritarianism, Hindu rashtra ideology etc., is also trolling. Feeling Sorry for Jaffer to get mixed up, he is a likeable guy. He had liked my tweet when I had wished him well on retirement. SM savvy. 

 There is massive Hindu revival across the country.Hypocrite and Stupid  People who are comfortable with abarahamic assertiveness but not that of hindutva will always make their brain bare for all of us to laugh at.

Link to post
On 2/12/2021 at 5:17 AM, PunterLog said:

Are Friday prayer arrangements absolutely necessary inside a cricket camp during COVID times?

 

Religion precedes everything I guess.

 

Friday prayers in congregation are compulsory yes. And Jaffer was making sure the team and training weren't impacted too much by inviting aMaulvi once a week for the small group that needed to pray- probably lasted half hour at the most- instead of going to the mosque, less disruption.

 

Millions of Muslims in other walks of life do the same, or more likely, arrange to go to a mosque at say lunch time. 

Link to post
On 2/12/2021 at 2:35 AM, SK_IH said:

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

 

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

 

 

what exactly is "absolutely wrong" here?  He did the absolute right thing. 

Link to post
6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Very few cricketers have stood up for him till now, specially when board president is a cricketer . Spineless 

Jaffer has got sucked into the political battle of Uttarakhand Cricket Association (CAU). That fatso Rajiv Shukla's cronies - Mahim Verma, Jot Singh, Hira Singh Bisht rule UCA (both ex-Cong MLAs). They control all big clubs in Doon. Another faction (United Cricket Asdociation of Uttarakhand) led by a chap called Sanjay Rawat (claims to represent rest of UKD outside Doon) is trying to take control. Jaffer apparently sided with this rival group (most likely without knowing the background political power play). Hence Shukla's cronies have thrown him under the bus with a communal charge.

 

No cricketer is speaking up because Mahim Verma, current CAU Preident is also a powerful ex-BCCI Vice President (thanks to Samosa Shukla). Anyone speaking out could get dragged into another dirty episode by this fatso and his chums.

Link to post
On 2/12/2021 at 2:35 AM, SK_IH said:

Were they forcing onto other players? 2 players were there but the coach had to educate them about various faiths. He should never had brouht this into discussion, stick to Cricket. I found only this aspect absolutely wrong on part of Jaffer in this whole episode.  Excerpt from the report

 

"When we were playing practise matches, these players inside the huddle used to say 'Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay.' I didn't hear them say Jai Hanuman, Jai Shree Ram. It is a chant of the Sikh community and we had two people from there, so they used to say that.

"When we reached Baroda, I said to them, we are not playing as a community, we are playing for Uttarakhand, so our slogan should be for Uttarakhand -- 'Go Uttarakhand' or 'Let's do it Uttarakhand' or 'Come on Uttarakhand' - the way Chandu Sir (Chandrakant Pandit) used to do in Vidarbha, that was the idea since the 11-12 players in the team huddle were from a different faith"

 

 

 

Don't know what Jaffer is talking about especially since it's posted on his official Twitter account  but "Rani Mata Sacche Darbar Ki Jay" is NOT a Sikh chant.  It is a Hindu chant.  That's a big mixup.

 

Regardless, it's a good idea to go for team/state chants rather than religious ones.  A bird's eye view may help you see this issue. one may be more aware in bigger cities of such issues.

Edited by The Great Punjab
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...