Will Ind make 2020s its best decade in terms of winning major international LOI tournaments?

zen

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ko stages depends entirely on kohli's selections. kohli actually has a very very good t20 record in Kos. he only sucks in odi ko's. 

hope we fix this soon and pick the right selections. Kohli can turn things around. he is bound to win a short format tournament at some point. too good of a team to not be able to win. we shall see soon. 

Ok but my point was about ICC events being different from bilaterals (therefore not chest thumping based on bilaterals). Not about  Kohli or his selections. Many folks here have followed cricket for a long time and have seen NZ beat Ind in 1999 WC Super 6, 2000 CT final, etc., for e.g. 

Apart from the 80s and a few games here and there (2002 CT SF v SA and 2013 CT final v Eng), in ODIs, Ind has usually done well when it faced Asian teams (or minnows like Kenya in 2003) in SF and F. Against non Asian teams, it needs to improve its performance in general 

Edited by zen
8 hours ago, zen said:

Ok but my point was about ICC events being different from bilaterals (therefore not chest thumping based on bilaterals). Not about  Kohli or his selections. Many folks here have followed cricket for a long time and have seen NZ beat Ind in 1999 WC Super 6, 2000 CT final, etc., for e.g. 

Apart from the 80s and a few games here and there (2002 CT SF v SA and 2013 CT final v Eng), in ODIs, Ind has usually done well when it faced Asian teams (or minnows like Kenya in 2003) in SF and F. Against non Asian teams, it needs to improve its performance in general 

ICC events are one off games. Anyone can win on a given night. Kohli failed in champions trophy final and WC Semi final. 

We lost in T20 too but tbf that T20 side wasn't as good as current Indian t20 side. 

I remember all of them. But none of those Indian teams were as good as current Indian side. 

Like I said, if Virat picked the correct selections and still lost then I will accept the fate. Kohli never did. In 2019 for eg, we all knew Dhoni, jhadav and Karthik weren't supposed to be part of our team? Like Are you serious? 

Rayudu who actually performed well vs n.z was dropped for some strange reason. Not that I rate him in particular but he would have made a difference. Mayank who was in form was never given a chance. Rahul never played in the middle order where he was supposed to. 

We shall see soon. I believe India will win the 2021 T20 WC and possibly 2023 world cup. T20 is a lottery so we could lose there. 2023 Kohli has no excuses. The poms are our main threat and n.z is never a threat in Asian Condtions for odi format. 

Pant, pandya, Gill, Rahul, bumrah, Shami, Jadeja. That's a great core. 

Edited by Jay
47 minutes ago, Jay said:

We shall see soon. I believe India will win the 2021 T20 WC and possibly 2023 world cup. T20 is a lottery so we could lose there. 2023 Kohli has no excuses. The poms are our main threat and n.z is never a threat in Asian Condtions for odi format. 

Pant, pandya, Gill, Rahul, bumrah, Shami, Jadeja. That's a great core. 

Yeah, that is a great mix as highlighted ... the team is lucky to be having so many such cricketers who would potentially play the whole decade so lots of opportunities esp. also considering that now relatively more world level events take place 

Next 2-3 years, Eng will be overwhelming favorites, not just about choking our white ball approach has become too stale. The first good team we face in KOs, we will be knocked out, anyway this TM is more interested in maximizing returns of top 3 and stroking a few egos than winning trophies. 

But by mid-2020s expecting England to be in transition, NZ will lose its golden generation and Aussie depth is lacking. With a core of KLR, Hardik, Pant, Gill, Sundar, Kuldeep, Bumrah (hope Shaw, Padikkal, Varun C, Tyagi etc. step up) we will win a few. Need a change in approach, team above individual, maybe Hardik can be looked at as a leadership option since he is unselfish, street-smart, gets along with everyone, and is somewhat clutch....also don't see any dictatorial streak in him like in case of Dhoni/Kohli.  

Edited by Gollum
10 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Next 2-3 years, Eng will be overwhelming favorites, not just about choking our white ball approach has become too stale. The first good team we face in KOs, we will be knocked out, anyway this TM is more interested in maximizing returns of top 3 and stroking a few egos than winning trophies. 

But by mid-2020s expecting England to be in transition, NZ will lose its golden generation and Aussie depth is lacking. With a core of KLR, Hardik, Pant, Gill, Sundar, Kuldeep, Bumrah (hope Shaw, Padikkal, Varun C, Tyagi etc. step up) we will win a few. Need a change in approach, team above individual, maybe Hardik can be looked at as a leadership option since he is unselfish, street-smart, gets along with everyone, and is somewhat clutch....also don't see any dictatorial streak in him like in case of Dhoni/Kohli.  

I highly doubt England can beat India in India in 2023 or 2021. T20 is a lottery so maybe there is a chance there. 

I have no doubt in my mind that India will win the 2023 world cup. It would be embarassing to now win in 2023 with the calibre of team at our disposal. Kohli is a bit dumb when it comes to sleections and he prirotizes seniority however I don't think even Kohli can stop India from winning in 2023. 

England is vastly overrated by fans. They are only good on docile flat tracks. Not on spin tracks, not on bouncy tracks. Even in swinging seaming conditions they sruggle. 

Edited by Jay
12 hours ago, Jay said:

I highly doubt England can beat India in India in 2023 or 2021. T20 is a lottery so maybe there is a chance there. 

I have no doubt in my mind that India will win the 2023 world cup. It would be embarassing to now win in 2023 with the calibre of team at our disposal. Kohli is a bit dumb when it comes to sleections and he prirotizes seniority however I don't think even Kohli can stop India from winning in 2023. 

England is vastly overrated by fans. They are only good on docile flat tracks. Not on spin tracks, not on bouncy tracks. Even in swinging seaming conditions they sruggle. 

Nah I've seen India getting smoked in ODIs at home by Australia & WI  so I guess our ODI side is very very beatable especially at home with fast outfields & smaller ground & lack of penetration in bowling..  Powerplay bowling is letting us down since the WC.  There is a stat where we are at bottom two sides in Powerplay bowling in last couple of years.  Powerplay batting is also not up to the mark with Rohit having a S/R of 70 odd in Powerplay which is lowest among openers & Dhawan is also not a dasher.  Approach is totally wrong in ODI format. 

Our T20 side is far far better with better bowlers & the defensive field settings suit our team unlike ODIs.  Nattu Bumrah Shardul Sundar are 4 gun T20 bowlers..  Chahal needs to be kicked out for Rahul Chahar or heck even Ashwin who has great T20I numbers. 

We have better shot at T20 world cup than ODI in my view.  I have a feeling Kishan & SKY will make it to T20 WC & Manish Iyer may not be there as they both are limited. 

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Nah I've seen India getting smoked in ODIs at home by Australia & WI  so I guess our ODI side is very very beatable especially at home with fast outfields & smaller ground & lack of penetration in bowling..  Powerplay bowling is letting us down since the WC.  There is a stat where we are at bottom two sides in Powerplay bowling in last couple of years.  Powerplay batting is also not up to the mark with Rohit having a S/R of 70 odd in Powerplay which is lowest among openers & Dhawan is also not a dasher.  Approach is totally wrong in ODI format. 

Our T20 side is far far better with better bowlers & the defensive field settings suit our team unlike ODIs.  Nattu Bumrah Shardul Sundar are 4 gun T20 bowlers..  Chahal needs to be kicked out for Rahul Chahar or heck even Ashwin who has great T20I numbers. 

We have better shot at T20 world cup than ODI in my view.  I have a feeling Kishan & SKY will make it to T20 WC & Manish Iyer may not be there as they both are limited. 

It's all about right combination and selections. If India pick the correct team India are favourites to win t20. Odi I reckon we are number 2. Our weakest format yes but still a top team. 

Australia never won a bilateral series in India though. Get Warner out and it's over for Aussies. 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

It's all about right combination and selections. If India pick the correct team India are favourites to win t20. Odi I reckon we are number 2. Our weakest format yes but still a top team. 

Australia never won a bilateral series in India though. Get Warner out and it's over for Aussies. 

Yes Aus won the series 3-2 in 2019 in India & also smoked us 2-0 in T20 series.  All I am saying is these overseas team know how to bat in Indian conditions due to IPl..  Everyone wants ultra fast outfields & flat decks which Indian grounds provide. 

We are going in right direction in T20, format..  This current squad selection is giving me hope.  Hopefully the youngsters grab their chances (if they get any) 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Whaaaat? They crushed us 3-2 in ODIs, 2-0 in T20Is in 2019 with a depleted squad....no Warner, Smith. Khawaja was scoring 100s for fun against peak Kulcha and Bumrah, Bhuvi, Jaddu. 

And before the 2010 series they used to come and whack us every time in ODIs, 2001 (3-2), 2007 (4-2), 2009 (4-2), 2004 TVS tri-nations cup.....and more wins in 90s. If I am not wrong they have a winning record in ODIs vs India in India, even in WCs, CT held here. 

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Whaaaat? They crushed us 3-2 in ODIs, 2-0 in T20Is in 2019 with a depleted squad....no Warner, Smith. Khawaja was scoring 100s for fun against peak Kulcha and Bumrah, Bhuvi, Jaddu. 

And before the 2010 series they used to come and whack us every time in ODIs, 2001 (3-2), 2007 (4-2), 2009 (4-2), 2004 TVS tri-nations cup.....and more wins in 90s. If I am not wrong they have a winning record in ODIs vs India in India, even in WCs, CT held here. 

I meant recently with their full strength team they lost to us in India. I agree in odi we have struggled in the past. But we finally figured out a combination I feel.