IPL team 2021 reviews

There has been a talk about allowing 5 foreigners in set no of matches ie 5 out of 14 including play offs. Then it becomes a game of strategy ie which match/ venue you play your 5th foreigner. Maybe if you ar MI you keep them till qualifiers or if you are RR you play Buttler Stokes Morris Archer Miller for a crunch game against DC. ALso with 10 teams you need 70 top class Indian players which even with the population of cricketers is not easy. But again counter argument is it will impact Indian players chances.. so its a kind of judgement call..

5 hours ago, Suhaan said:

DC have a travesty called Iyer being the captain,i mean who the * thinks he's is better than Pant,Ashwin heck even Shaw

A line up of Rahane,Iyer,Smith will choke life out of DC fans

What I did not like about Iyer's captaincy is that he makes Pant bat at 4 or 5. To me that is a blunder by any IPL captain who has Pant in the IPL team and does not makes him bat in top 3. Anyways Delhi isn't a good IPL team imo. Another problem is Shaw has not lived upto his reputation and has been below par in IPL. The least said about Rahane the better. Rabada and Stoinis tried and performed their best to take Delhi far but couple of players can only do so much.

33 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

What I did not like about Iyer's captaincy is that he makes Pant bat at 4 or 5. To me that is a blunder by any IPL captain who has Pant in the IPL team and does not makes him bat in top 3. Anyways Delhi isn't a good IPL team imo. Another problem is Shaw has not lived upto his reputation and has been below par in IPL. The least said about Rahane the better. Rabada and Stoinis tried and performed their best to take Delhi far but couple of players can only do so much.

He comes up to hog limelight in a modest chase

Last time Pant, Shaw were flops and Hetmyer too underperfromed. If 2 out of these 3 perform close to their best, no one is stopping DC. We have all other bases covered, just too strong for the rest of the field. Even hardcore Bambi fans know that best vs best, their thugs stand no chance against the might of DC with or without BUSY (Bambani Umpires Support Yojana). Iyer is our weak link, so I will look to change the batting order....also keeps L-R-L combo all the way till #10.

Dhawan

Stoinis

Pant

Shaw

Hetmyer

Iyer (hit out or get out)

Axar

Ashwin

Rabada

Umesh/Ishant/Mishra/Siddharth

Nortje

Rotate the Saffer speed demons, keep them fresh for latter part of the season. Woakes, Tom Curran can do the job against lesser sides.

If Hetmyer doesn't click play Billings and even Smith occasionally, I have a good feeling about Smith this time, he will have a point to prove and only fools can question his clutchness when we reach the final 4 stage. 

How do you contest against this monster side if Shaw/Pant start clicking? 6 bowling options, high quality pace duo, Ashwin-Axar combo, bat deep, multiple dynamic LHB options, so many match-winners.....

This ugly ass stadium will sap 50% of the fight in our opponents

Image result for feroz shah kotla stadium

And most importantly the Chanakya of IPL @maniac

Image result for Kiran Kumar Grandhi

@Cricketics @beetle @adi B @GeeGaw lots of pain in store for our so called 'competition'. No mercy this time. 

@Gollumi am happy to see Smith in the team man. We all have followed this side closely and one thing which we have missed all these years is a senior overseas middle order bat. We lack this all the time. Our Indian players have done well recently but in big games like finals, it would have been nice to have a senior who would have supported Pant who player lone hand and we could have had a better total last time. I feel we can start with Smith over Hetmyer. 

I am looking forward to seeing Smith turn up for Delhi. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:37 AM, SK_IH said:

Great thread @Ankit_sharma03

I disagree with your assessment of RCB. I think they have made a good team, surely focussed on some unreliable assets but they are match winners. I thought they only over splurged on Jameison.But problem would again with buffoon captain. Leadership should start now but with Kohli captaincy ends with auction. He thinks players will come in & automatically start performing at once. Instead of keeping a consistent lineup & giving confidence/clarity of roles to players we usually see bhangra clips, his bromance with AB in IPL. If Virat does a decent job at motivating his players, he has got a decent squad this time.

CSK surprisingly look a very dangerous side. Dhoni will make great use of Moeen and Gowtham. I thought they could have gone for someone like Roy/Hales as replacement for Watson but they have backed Faf for that role. Their batting & bowling look deep. Even if Dhoni is not at his best, I will not be surprised if CSK make the play offs.

DIsagree with your assessment on Punjab as well, they have not plugged the holes of last year. They have relied on rookies & the lower order issue remains a issue. I thought they should have gone hammer & tongs for both Morris and Sakib, would have completed the squad. Jhye Richardson is good but thats a gamble. I don't see them winning this year as well.

MI as usual will be in the playoffs. The only question is who will partner Boult & Bumrah. I hope they play Milne, he was in terrific form in BBL.

SRH same old same old. Bairstow has to play in Indian conditions. Legit match winner, cannot drop him in the name of balance. So let's see how they play around with the balance of the XI. They alway surprise us but don't see them making the play offs.

Rajasthan plugged their gaps with precision with the acquisition of Morris and Dube unlike Punjab. Only weakness if one can point is both spinners lack pedigree but they are not bad. I hope they encourage Lomror to develop his left arm spin, will give them extra dimension. Sure shot play off contender.

DC made a redundant start to the auction with Steve Smith, a complete waste of a buy. But they got a steal with Umesh, now third seamer is issue is resolved. Not many weaknesses in the squad however I thought they would go for an attacking overseas opener as a back up to out of sorts Shaw but they have backed him. Unless, something drastic transpires, DC should make the playoffs.

KKR I thought had an ordinary auction. Some really ordinary picks like Harbhajan, Sheldon, Negi. They got Sakib at a reasonable price but where does he fit in. Only Narine can make way for Sakib which I don't ser happening in first few games. Sakib would have fit in wonderfully in many other franchises but I don't KKR needed him. If marquee players of the first XI struggle, KKR will mostly miss the play offs.

Why do you think Smith is a complete waste of buy, dc got them at 2.2 cr not 5-6 cr ,he is good player of spin if pitch aide swing he can play well on that,gun fielder,plus has been captain so can help iyer,most importantly too good a player to fail time and time again

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

Last time Pant, Shaw were flops and Hetmyer too underperfromed. If 2 out of these 3 perform close to their best, no one is stopping DC. We have all other bases covered, just too strong for the rest of the field. Even hardcore Bambi fans know that best vs best, their thugs stand no chance against the might of DC with or without BUSY (Bambani Umpires Support Yojana). Iyer is our weak link, so I will look to change the batting order....also keeps L-R-L combo all the way till #10.

Dhawan

Stoinis

Pant

Shaw

Hetmyer

Iyer (hit out or get out)

Axar

Ashwin

Rabada

Umesh/Ishant/Mishra/Siddharth

Nortje

Rotate the Saffer speed demons, keep them fresh for latter part of the season. Woakes, Tom Curran can do the job against lesser sides.

If Hetmyer doesn't click play Billings and even Smith occasionally, I have a good feeling about Smith this time, he will have a point to prove and only fools can question his clutchness when we reach the final 4 stage. 

How do you contest against this monster side if Shaw/Pant start clicking? 6 bowling options, high quality pace duo, Ashwin-Axar combo, bat deep, multiple dynamic LHB options, so many match-winners.....

This ugly ass stadium will sap 50% of the fight in our opponents

Image result for feroz shah kotla stadium

And most importantly the Chanakya of IPL @maniac

Image result for Kiran Kumar Grandhi

@Cricketics @beetle @adi B @GeeGaw lots of pain in store for our so called 'competition'. No mercy this time. 

I started the team thread last year and got us to the finals.  Hopefully you can get us to the promised land.

On 2/18/2021 at 11:12 PM, BlueBlood said:

RCB team looks deadly unless kohli messes up captaincy and picks weird combinations...

Philippe, ABDV, Dan Christian and one of Daniel Sams/Maxwell/Zampa/Jamieson is a really good international team.

People underestimate players like Dan Christian, Daniel Sams etc. I have seen them play.

They are match winners and give their 100% in the fielding, bowling and batting department. If dew is present expect these guys to make hay and batter the opposition if they are chasing under lights with dew. 

The only wildcard for RCB is ABDV as he is hogging a space for Maxwell/Sams here but otherwise solid side. I expect them to go to the finals unless their Indian spin department falters. 

Sams is flaming garbage.

23 hours ago, Suhaan said:

DC have a travesty called Iyer being the captain,i mean who the * thinks he's is better than Pant,Ashwin heck even Shaw

A line up of Rahane,Iyer,Smith will choke life out of DC fans

Rahane won't be in the playing XI unless there's an injury or Prithvi continues to suck sh!t.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:48 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Euh5hM1XIAUVXi8?format=jpg&name=large

1. Dhawan
  2. Shaw 
  3. Pant 
  4. Stonis 
  5. Hetymer/ Billings
  6. Iyer
  7. Axar Patell
  8. Ashwin 
  9. Nortje
  10. Rabada
  11. Mishra/ Ishant

Can Billings bat at 3?  If he can I go:

Dhawan

Stoinis

Billings

Pant

Shaw

Iyer

Patel

Ashwin

Rabada

One of Umesh Yadav / Ishant / #1 Superstar Mishra

Nortje

This could be the kind of year where every batsman better be padded up from first ball of the innings.  Depending on when wickets fall could completely change the order except for the bowlers.

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

@Gollumi am happy to see Smith in the team man. We all have followed this side closely and one thing which we have missed all these years is a senior overseas middle order bat. We lack this all the time. Our Indian players have done well recently but in big games like finals, it would have been nice to have a senior who would have supported Pant who player lone hand and we could have had a better total last time. I feel we can start with Smith over Hetmyer. 

I am looking forward to seeing Smith turn up for Delhi. 

We're going to skull fcuk the rest of the IPL while we drag our nuts all across they faces.

1 hour ago, vayuu1 said:

Why do you think Smith is a complete waste of buy, dc got them at 2.2 cr not 5-6 cr ,he is good player of spin if pitch aide swing he can play well on that,gun fielder,plus has been captain so can help iyer,most importantly too good a player to fail time and time again

Smith is a top order player, the likes of which are abundant in DC. Even Stoinis would relish the prospect of opening instead of languishing down the order. Infact, DC should start with Billings in stead of Smith, if they really want a overseas batsman in the top order. He is a multi dimensional bat. T20 cricket is a different beast which requires players with specific skill sets, successful teams like MI know that & build team accordingly. DC have unnecessarily made things difficult for themselves by picking a big player with ordinary T20 credentials. Let's see how Ponting manages him (that is if Smith turns up, rumours going around he won't even turn up for the IPL)

19 hours ago, Suhaan said:

He comes up to hog limelight in a modest chase

Ponting is an experienced professional who has used power hitters like Gilchrist in power plays. Iyer is no where near Ponting's experience as captain at highest level though so i am more  surprised even Ponting has not enforced the decission to bat Pant in top 3. 

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

Smith is a top order player, the likes of which are abundant in DC. Even Stoinis would relish the prospect of opening instead of languishing down the order. Infact, DC should start with Billings in stead of Smith, if they really want a overseas batsman in the top order. He is a multi dimensional bat. T20 cricket is a different beast which requires players with specific skill sets, successful teams like MI know that & build team accordingly. DC have unnecessarily made things difficult for themselves by picking a big player with ordinary T20 credentials. Let's see how Ponting manages him (that is if Smith turns up, rumours going around he won't even turn up for the IPL)

Smith is in team ,not just as a top order bat,but experience and ability to turn it in big matches,one thing being a top order player another being clutch, also smith is too good a player to consistently fail,its not that DC doesn't have middle order lower order players,thats why they didn't spend much, besides we have mega auction coming up next year

2 hours ago, GeeGaw said:

Can Billings bat at 3?  If he can I go:

Dhawan

Stoinis

Billings

Pant

Shaw

Iyer

Patel

Ashwin

Rabada

One of Umesh Yadav / Ishant / #1 Superstar Mishra

Nortje

This could be the kind of year where every batsman better be padded up from first ball of the innings.  Depending on when wickets fall could completely change the order except for the bowlers.

billings can bat anyhwere but not shaw