Movies that surprised you!

zen

On 5/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, zen said:

Fu Manchu series released in the 60s & starring Christopher Lee. There are 5 films of which I have watched first 2. The first 3 are supposed to be good for time pass when you are in the mood for a B film (may not be for everyone). Listing the first 3 below: 

The Face of Fu Manchu 

The Brides of Fu Manchu

The Vengance of Fu Manchu 

On a somewhat related note, Hammer films with Christopher Lee were great fun

Edited by Vijy

20 minutes ago, zen said:

Many are getting or got restored so great news for fans! 

yep, great news! some of them are genuinely great, while others are campy but still a lot of fun.

Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow (1963) & Marriage Italian Style (1964) ... The two films starring Sophia Loren & Marcello Mastroianni, and directed by Vittorio De Sica (Bicycle Thieves). 

These two films are cut from the same cloth, coming off like 4 stories told over two films. Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow (Kal, Aaj, aur Kal) is an anthology of 3 stories - Adelina of Naples, Anna of Milan, & Mara of Rome. Marriage Italian Style can be viewed as the story of Filumena of Naples. Of the 4 stories, my favorite is probably Adeline of Naples, followed by Filumena of Naples, Mara of Rome, & Anna of Milan.

Edited by zen

On 5/3/2022 at 6:45 PM, Vijy said:

On a somewhat related note, Hammer films with Christopher Lee were great fun

I watched the Hound of Baskervilles (1959) with Cushing (as Holmes) & Lee (as Henry Baskerville) ... The story has been told on screen multiple times but this one still turned out to be a good timepass. Like the atmosphere that Hammer creates!

10 hours ago, zen said:

I watched the Hound of Baskervilles (1959) with Cushing (as Holmes) & Lee (as Henry Baskerville) ... The story has been told on screen multiple times but this one still turned out to be a good timepass. Like the atmosphere that Hammer creates!

in the movies, my fav is the one with the great basil rathbone. poor adaptions at times, but his acting was spot on

4 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:
On 6/7/2022 at 9:08 PM, coffee_rules said:
You should watch - MacKenna’s Gold, was very popular in India. He’s a fine actor, our Dev sahab’a  idol.

To be honest, Dev Anand embarrassed himself trying to act like peck..it was hilarious to watch

I never cared for dev's aping of peck at times. worked well in some movies, but not in others.

4 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:
On 6/7/2022 at 11:38 AM, coffee_rules said:
You should watch - MacKenna’s Gold, was very popular in India. He’s a fine actor, our Dev sahab’a  idol.

To be honest, Dev Anand embarrassed himself trying to act like peck..it was hilarious to watch

:nono: Apart from the popular ones, he was a good actor till the 70s , uske baad sathiyagya 

I Confess (1953) ... Directed by Hitchcock, and starring Montgomery Clift & Anne Baxter. 

Usually with Hitch you are taken on a suspenseful adventure. However, this is a different type of Hitch film as you already know what the outcome would be, therefore, the film is more about the journey. And what a journey it is - beautifully shot in B&W in Quebec, touches upon the dilemma of handling a confession from a priest PoV esp. in the filmy sense (in the real world, it would pan out differently), and of course the romantic angle. The film presents a new type of tension for a Hitchcock film. 

I watched Strangers on a Train (1951) and this after a long time. While Strangers on a Train came off as a regular Hitchcock film, I Confess stood out more because of its position as a different type of Hitchcock film. In the past, I may have preferred Strangers on a Train more. WIth time, the tastes change. 

Similarly, Marnie (1964), which is unique too as it tries to explore the mind of the eponymous character played by Tippi Hedren through Sean Connery's character. This is a psychological drama enhanced by the brilliant Bernard Herrmann score, their last collaboration iirc. To enjoy this more, folks have to understand that they are venturing into the "different type of Hitchcock film" territory. 

It is good that Hitchcock experimented once in a while to not stick to his regular style all the time or we could have had more or less similar types of Hitchcock films. 

Edited by zen

5 hours ago, zen said:

I Confess (1953) ... Directed by Hitchcock, and starring Montgomery Clift & Anne Baxter. 

Usually with Hitch you are taken on a suspenseful adventure. However, this is a different type of Hitch film as you already know what the outcome would be, therefore, the film is more about the journey. And what a journey it is - beautifully shot in B&W in Quebec, touches upon the dilemma of handling a confession from a priest PoV esp. in the filmy sense (in the real world, it would pan out differently), and of course the romantic angle. The film presents a new type of tension for a Hitchcock film. 

I watched Strangers on a Train (1951) and this after a long time. While Strangers on a Train came off as a regular Hitchcock film, I Confess stood out more because of its position as a different type of Hitchcock film. In the past, I may have preferred Strangers on a Train more. WIth time, the tastes change. 

Similarly, Marnie (1964), which is unique too as it tries to explore the mind of the eponymous character played by Tippi Hedren through Sean Connery's character. This is a psychological drama enhanced by the brilliant Bernard Herrmann score, their last collaboration iirc. To enjoy this more, folks have to understand that they are venturing into the "different type of Hitchcock film" territory. 

It is good that Hitchcock experimented once in a while to not stick to his regular style all the time or we could have had more or less similar types of Hitchcock films. 

my fav Hitchcock film is very unlike him too - The Wrong Man (1959)

The Blue Max (1966) ... Blue Max is the highest royal Prussian order of bravery ... The film is about a German pilot during WW1 based on the novel by Jack Hunter. 

Among the good things about this film are its brilliant the aerial combat sequences. The WWI atmosphere, along with the locations in Ireland, is nicely captured. In fact, the cinematography is pretty good with rich colors, highlighting the magic of films shot on film (versus today's digital). ... However, it is also an inconsistent film where you have to deal with some bad acting by Ursula Andress. If you liked her in Dr. No, you might change your mind after seeing her acting here :phehe:  ... But the good parts of the film are quite good to tolerate the inconsistencies.

The film will interest those who like the WW1 era aircrafts and the military atmosphere:

the-blue-max-german-movie-poster.jpg?v=1

MV5BODY5MjUyMDEwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjcy

bluema10.jpg

Edited by zen

On 6/18/2022 at 10:48 AM, zen said:

The Blue Max (1966) ... Blue Max is the highest royal Prussian order of bravery ... The film is about a German pilot during WW1 based on the novel by Jack Hunter. 

Among the good things about this film are its brilliant the aerial combat sequences. The WWI atmosphere, along with the locations in Ireland, is nicely captured. In fact, the cinematography is pretty good with rich colors, highlighting the magic of films shot on film (versus today's digital). ... However, it is also an inconsistent film where you have to deal with some bad acting by Ursula Andress. If you liked her in Dr. No, you might change your mind after seeing her acting here :phehe:  ... But the good parts of the film are quite good to tolerate the inconsistencies.

The film will interest those who like the WW1 era aircrafts and the military atmosphere:

the-blue-max-german-movie-poster.jpg?v=1

MV5BODY5MjUyMDEwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjcy

bluema10.jpg

Is this about the Red Baron?