Movies that surprised you!

zen

Seven samurai. You know the story even before you sit down to watch it. First 30mins my thought, who calls this garbage classic infact i was more or less done by 40th minute and was going to shut it down but continued and then it grows on you. Its BW, not that well shot, you need to read subtitles, its long and not everyone's cup of tea but worth it.  

10 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Seven samurai. You know the story even before you sit down to watch it. First 30mins my thought, who calls this garbage classic infact i was more or less done by 40th minute and was going to shut it down but continued and then it grows on you. Its BW, not that well shot, you need to read subtitles, its long and not everyone's cup of tea but worth it.  

Arre yaar, Seven Samurai is known for its cinematography. In no way it can be described as “not that well shot” :lol: 

Also B&W, subtitles, etc. -  those are hardly challenges to watching a movie! 

Edited by zen

^^Those action scenes are so well shot, you can feel the tension in every scene. He uses natural light most of the time. Kurusawa’s movies are known for cinematography, just like Guru Dutt’s. Amazing movie. Magnificent 7 pales in comparison in every scene. I liked the Kikuchiyo character the best, so many layers 

Edited by coffee_rules

On 7/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, zen said:

Arre yaar, Seven Samurai is known for its cinematography. In no way it can be described as “not that well shot:lol: 

Also B&W, subtitles, etc. -  those are hardly challenges to watching a movie! 

unlike you i watched it around 2012 and not in 1954 when it originally released. 

5 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

unlike you i watched it around 2012 and not in 1954 when it originally released. 

I watch it every now and then. Last watched it a few months ago. 

Watching something in 2012 and posting here in 2022 is not on. This is a thread where you discuss films you watched recently! :hmm:

On 7/13/2022 at 12:11 AM, coffee_rules said:

^^Those action scenes are so well shot, you can feel the tension in every scene. He uses natural light most of the time. Kurusawa’s movies are known for cinematography, just like Guru Dutt’s. Amazing movie. Magnificent 7 pales in comparison in every scene. I liked the Kikuchiyo character the best, so many layers 

What’s amazing is lack of sound effects for sword fights. 

28 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Thread is about movies that surprised you.

From the OP: “A topic on movies that surprised you either in a good or a bad way (watched recently in the last 6 months or so)” 

Edited by zen

On 7/13/2022 at 3:41 AM, coffee_rules said:

yes, among other things, no true analog to kikuchiyo in magnificent 7. latter is still an enjoyable and well-made film, but is mostly devoted to entertainment/action

Miami Vice (2006) 

Last I watched it was around the time it was released. Watched its Director's Cut (Unrated as it is called) to feel that the film was ahead of its time when it was released. Its cinematography keeps the viewers right in the middle of action. Many shots are stunning where they can be excellent photographs. Lots of sequences utilize deep focus. The score is punchy and usually kicks in when required. The editing is also sleek. In a way, its cinematography is similar to today's films such as The Batman (2022). 

It may not be a film for everyone but for those seeking a gritty film, at times in docu style, that also creates a stylized atmosphere, this one fits the bill. 

This one could be one of the misunderstood films or a hidden gem. Below a clip from the film: 

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

I only watched it once when it was released in the theatre. Revisited it again when I came across it browsing on one of the streaming channels. This film appears to be getting better with time. Amazing visuals and action to make it one of the best films of 21st century. 

There is a "black & chrome" edition as well, which I plan to revisit too (will purchase it on iTunes or blu-ray): 

Edited by zen

On 6/8/2022 at 8:36 AM, bharathh said:

I loved Top Gun Maverick... Didn't go in thinking id like it as much as I did. Awesome action and a fun movie

I was bored. Dozed off in parts.

Apart from the BGM, I liked nothing about the movie. And I haven't seen the 1st version from the 1800s when Tom Cruise was 20 years old.

As a stand alone this movie was a drag. Also they didn't name the enemy nation...

Nothing but a collection of cliched dialogues, classical Hollywood projection of American awesomeness and alternating scenes with airplane stunts and visage zoom-ins for what passes as emotional drama in Hollywood.

I'd put it in the same category/calibre as Tarzan the wonder car.

Edited by Mariyam

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

I was bored. Dozed off in parts.

Apart from the BGM, I liked nothing about the movie. And I haven't seen the 1st version from the 1800s when Tom Cruise was 20 years old.

As a stand alone this movie was a drag. Also they didn't name the enemy nation...

Nothing but a collection of cliched dialogues, classical Hollywood projection of American awesomeness and alternating scenes with airplane stunts and visage zoom-ins for what passes as emotional drama in Hollywood.

Really? They didn’t name the enemy even  in the original from 1800s either. Thought that the makers will be less enlightened because of turn of events since the original! This is akin to our Bollywood movies calling Pakistan as Dushman Mulk since the 60s , till maybe Sarfarosh. 

12 hours ago, Mariyam said:

In the ICF scheme of things, mariyam ki pahunch goregaon/chembur* tak! 

*Or whatever bolly studio she prefers on a given day.

Edited by Clarke

Talking about Max Max: Fury Road, I compared parts of the film in:

a) 4K HDR 

b) HD SDR 

c) Black & Chrome (HD SDR)

In terms of transfer, Black & Chrome is Miller’s preferred color space for this film. It has its look/style that makes the film appear darker/grittier.

At this point, I think Mad Max: Fury Road in Black & Chrome is my preferred version too!

Edited by zen

Singin in the Rain (1952) ... Everytime I watch this film, it never fails to impress (arguably can also be seen as the best film of all time). Beautiful 4K transfer as well esp. considering that the original negatives are lost/damaged. 

Joker (2019) ... I watched this film in the cinema probably in the 1st week of its release. I was expecting a more action oriented film (afterall we are talking about the origin story of a great comic book villain) so was surprised to see a Taxi Driveresque take on Joker. No doubt that the film was high quality but I was in two minds about the theme. I did not revisit the film till now when I got more comfortable with its theme. 

Rewatched it in 4K HDR to feel that it is a masterpiece. Most of its frames are brilliantly shot (a tough task to make ordinary dark environment stand out). The score works brilliantly for the film. The acting is phenomenal. If I remain impressed, I expect it to get in my future top films list! ... Joker: Folie à Deux is coming out in 2024. Can't wait!