Movies that surprised you!

zen

9 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

The movie that shouldn't have surprised me. But it still did. Was Super Deluxe. Too early to say this. But maybe top 10 film out of India. Just sheer brilliance. And definitely best cinematography I have seen from Indian cinema for a long long time. 

absolutely , i call it India's pulp fiction

20 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

Actually Joker didn't resonate with me. Something about the choices doesn't work and it doesn't seem organic. King of comedy meets taxi driver. Something didn't quite click. I didn't care for characters. 

5 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

same here didnt work for me either

Now that you know that the film lacks the "superhero films masala elements", try to give it a shot again as it is a great film  (of course, if the theme does not resonate then skip it)

Edited by zen

Haqeeqat (1964) very impressed with cinematography, war footage sequences on location in Ladakh, lyrics (Kaifi Azmi) and MMusic by Madannohan. Great songs. Director Chetan Anand has done an amazing job with all. Border had some inspiration from this movie. Except for climax, everything about the movie is top notch. Best war movie from India. Kind of Pro-Nehru (natural for those times) , but some subtle references to his statements on Aksai-Chin , wife sends a flower plant to husband and in the message says “suna hai wahan ghas bhi nahin ugta !” India was so poor that aam aadmi donated money to the army. Patriotism ftw!

Prof. Pyarelal (1981) was one of my most watched films as a kid. We had its VHS which used to be on frequently. I recall trying to do a stunt and getting hit on the head. 

Today, I felt like watching a Bollywood film and thought about revisiting this one. Did not expect much from it in 2020s but was surprised to enjoy it very much - still paise vasool!

Naan Kaduvul. 

It’s quite surprising that a Tamil film does such a good job of capturing the essence of varanasi and attitude of Aghori. With gruesome reality check and absolutely shocking climax, the film is truly a great portrait of Shiva. Arya is so so good in this one. 

Edited by ravishingravi

1 hour ago, ravishingravi said:

Naan Kaduvul. 

It’s quite surprising that a Tamil film dies such a good job of capturing the essence of varanasi and attitude of Aghori. With gruesome reality check and absolutely shocking climax, the film is truly a great portrait of Shiva. Arya is so so good in this one. 

Is that the one with the beggar children? I couldn't watch that. Too gory for me.

On 10/19/2022 at 8:08 PM, zen said:

The Vanishing (1988) ... One of the coolest thrillers. There is not much action but it is about the story, acting, and the terrifying situations. 

PS this is the original not the Hollywood remake 

yes, very good. some famous directors like kubrick enjoyed it too, I think

Garuda Gamana Vrishab Vahana

As a former film buff, I feel my cinematic buds are getting piqued by some of the regional cinema coming out of India. Forget Kannada cinema, what’s coming out of just mangalore is fascination. We are on verge of South Korean like movement in Indian cinema where decentralized talent with unique voices combined with greater exposure to world cinema is creating an interesting fusion. 

Fair to say. Bollywood is done. In short term it will continue the way it does. But trend is heading towards decentralization and hot spot will be the south. 

I didn’t speak about the film because I found it really emotional experience and not in traditional melodramatic way. I will write in greater detail later. But we are on to something folks. Something big. 

6 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Garuda Gamana Vrishab Vahana

As a former film buff, I feel my cinematic buds are getting piqued by some of the regional cinema coming out of India. Forget Kannada cinema, what’s coming out of just mangalore is fascination. We are on verge of South Korean like movement in Indian cinema where decentralized talent with unique voices combined with greater exposure to world cinema is creating an interesting fusion. 

Fair to say. Bollywood is done. In short term it will continue the way it does. But trend is heading towards decentralization and hot spot will be the south. 

I didn’t speak about the film because I found it really emotional experience and not in traditional melodramatic way. I will write in greater detail later. But we are on to something folks. Something big. 

Which OTT is streaming this movie?

The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 

Revisited the Nolan Batman trilogy recently and surprisingly liked the 3rd installment the most (in the past, it used to be 3rd behind TDK & BB). Apart from growing with time, potential reasons could be:

• Joker (2019) takes away the novelty factor of the Joker in The Dark Knight (2008), while Batman Begins (2005) is almost a 17 years old film now 
  • The Dark Knight Rises transfer is relatively better 
  • The films combines some good elements of both the previous films 
  • Bain's take over of Gotham is relatively unique 
  • Interesting characters in Miranda and Selina (work better than Rachael for me)