Marriage madness

coffee_rules

1 hour ago, Clarke said:

We attended a wedding at a Goa resort where they had Russian/East European models in shiny bikinis welcoming guests with garlands and the dhol would play in the background. It was absurd in my opinion, just like those imported dancers in bollywood songs & cheerleaders in the league.

Eew

I also notice a trend in india

Wedding guests in competition to show who can drink the most...

The last wedding i attended in india i was not in a mood to drink. People looked at me is i was a prude. Whats with this forces drinking convention?

We attended a wedding at a Goa resort where they had Russian/East European models in shiny bikinis welcoming guests with garlands and the dhol would play in the background. It was absurd in my opinion, just like those imported dancers in bollywood songs & cheerleaders in the league.

In my second cousin's wedding, during dinner, they had a white lady dressed like that anarkali character handing out paan. She was sitting on a podium in the middle of a garden. As if she was some kind of display. It was weird and sad at the same time.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

My observations, based on a very small sample size of 4-5 arranged marriages among families that *can* splurge on weddings.

The couples who had elaborate ceremonies and numerous functions are still together. Those that had a low key/ regular wedding aren't.

Maybe the couples who/whose families have splurged end up staying together because of some version of a sunken cost fallacy?

Make of it what you will.

Its not the cost which is the issue. Its what you spend it on.

I have been to weddings which have been classy at rs 10,000 a plate in Mumbai with the finest wine and scotch. The gift bag of the wedding was pretty good as well.

Its the general lack of class or vulgarity which is the issue.

On 3/4/2021 at 6:24 AM, Khota said:

Problem is it puts pressure on others who cant afford it.

Don't come under pressure.

All kinds of shaadis are in vogue.

Go for the minimalist,environment friendly route ....mandir mein shaadi / court marriage and a party for family and friends.

You just have to put your foot down and tell the family.

Edited by beetle

Rich people spending their money on yhe drama is good for economy .

Problem starts when middle class gets in the act ,most times because of family ' respect' or sometimes the bollywood dreams of the idiot children . Then they spend the rest of their lives getting out of debt ,or becoming totally dependent on children for the rest of their lives.

On 3/4/2021 at 2:46 AM, Vilander said:

lots of self involved people in the west and in India. The ones in India think what ever the west does is cool and ape it to look 'good' like apeshitwood.

When it comes to madness,we have enough and more of it in our  Indian weddings already ....now they have started the bachelor/ hen  parties and best man and bridesmaid etc to the madness .

The pre wedding shoots was something just waiting to happen with instagram . If it is not on insta...did it even happen? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, FischerTal said:

i dont mind the wedding splurging because it helps boost local economy. what people want to do with their own money is their business, even if it looks weird. 

Domestic economy* boost karo, aatmanirbhar bano :p:

*Locations, services, staff, products etc

Edited by Clarke

An ostentatious display of wealth in wedding/pre-wedding functions is basically a way to earn social capital of sorts. Who you've invited. Who showed up etc *can*  help in the future. An intangible asset.

I don't look at it very differently from breaking your piggy-bank to buy gold for a wedding. That is an investment too. 

Edited by Mariyam

Resident lawyer defending ostentatious marriages.. I will bet on her wedding being one :D

ps: I dont have any issues with Parents celebrating the marriage with large spends & expensive food.. what is cringeworthy is the dramabaazi with all the new age marriages aping some bollywood movie with too much of dance /tamasha for the sake of doing it. 

6 hours ago, beetle said:

Don't come under pressure.

All kinds of shaadis are in vogue.

Go for the minimalist,environment friendly route ....mandir mein shaadi / court marriage and a party for family and friends.

You just have to put your foot down and tell the family.

You are correct but middle class is always under pressure.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

An ostentatious display of wealth in wedding/pre-wedding functions is basically a way to earn social capital of sorts. Who you've invited. Who showed up etc *can*  help in the future. An intangible asset.

I don't look at it very differently from breaking your piggy-bank to buy gold for a wedding. That is an investment too. 

Like this one?