Can Shreyas Iyer become the next Michael Bevan for India?

2 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

If Iyer was like Rayudu, he would've knocked it around and stayed not out rather than scoring at 200+ strike rate and getting out.

If u want proper comparioson 

Like rayudu he was bullied by aus at home n away both. U shud just let him do it a lil more often to even brag about it

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

If u want proper comparioson 

Like rayudu he was bullied by aus at home n away both

So you are telling  me SKY and whoever you think as a the replacement from domestics  will smack 145+ short pitch bowling on bouncy pitches?

He has a problem but he also has class and temparament to get around it. Ganguly did it,Steve Waugh did it. He has a gift and that is he scores runs even when he looks like a hack and that is the best gift a batsman can have. In fact Pandey can do that too but Iyer has a better awareness and intent.

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

So you are telling  me SKY and whoever you think as a the replacement from domestics  will smack 145+ short pitch bowling on bouncy pitches?

Let him get tested ...when he does then we ll see . Lets talk about someone who has been tested.

He has a problem but he also has class and temparament to get around it. Ganguly did it,Steve Waugh did it. He has a gift and that is he scores runs even when he looks like a hack and that is the best gift a batsman can have. In fact Pandey can do that too but Iyer has a better awareness and intent.

Hold on ur horses before u compare to those guys. To become waugh u need yrs. And those guys played test cricket so they had to keep it tight which why recent xamples arent many. 

Pandey and iyer are two diff sides of coin like rayudu n rahane. One plays pace better one spin. But both are not the best talents in india and soon will loose place to better ones. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

I don't think he will be able to hang on his place in our T20 team too long but he is certainly levels ahead of Rayudu as batsman.

Rayudu never had the mindset to even survive one year of IPL captaincy or play a knock like Shreyas played in final last year vs Mumbai Indians attack coming at 21/3.

Edited by Majestic
21 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Let him get tested ...when he does then we ll see . Lets talk about someone who has been tested.

Hold on ur horses before u compare to those guys. To become waugh u need yrs. And those guys played test cricket so they had to keep it tight which why recent xamples arent many. 

Pandey and iyer are two diff sides of coin like rayudu n rahane. One plays pace better one spin. But both are not the best talents in india and soon will loose place to better ones. 

Iyer has a sr of 100 and average of 45 in odis.

T20’s has a strike rate of 135 and an average of 30.

Captained his side to IPL final

is 26 years old and has at least 8-9 years of career left.

he has been a domestic legend in all formats

he has been around for what 1-2 years with a consistent run?

You want to drop him just because he struggled against short pitch bowling on bouncy pitches in his first tour?

You have some lofty standards for the backup domestic batsmen then.

2 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

he has been a domestic legend in all formats

he has been around for what 1-2 years with a consistent run?You want to drop him just because he struggled against short pitch bowling on bouncy pitches in his first tour?

I remember Iyer scored lots of runs last year in New Zealand and also played well in ODIs in Australia. Not sure what else he can do. People just can't be happy. He needs to be persisted with and he is India's potential future LOI captain. 

36 minutes ago, cricketpitch said:

I remember Iyer scored lots of runs last year in New Zealand and also played well in ODIs in Australia. Not sure what else he can do. People just can't be happy. He needs to be persisted with and he is India's potential future LOI captain. 

In t20 if he is not their it make SKYs inclusion that much easier. 

3 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Good odi career but a small one to pass judgement

S.r is 133 actually which is not great. The lower u go down higher s.r shud get . Rohit n kohli are around 140. 

How does it help his case as batsman ??

he has been a domestic legend in all format

Domestic stats dont matter when u come to international . 

he has been around for what 1-2 years with a consistent run?

Ur point ?

You want to drop him just because he struggled against short pitch bowling on bouncy pitches in his first tour?

Then u need to read my post carefully. Its just not short ball but quick wrist spin and seam n swing to also catching aint great. So dnt cut the whole thing.  My issue with rana, manish , iyer are they have to many problems to last long in international. Even manish was immediately caught them minute he came to subcontinet. Now its not that i have something against them but i srsly beilive there are better batsman avl like gill n pant. Those 2 are qualitatively better batsman. Surely both hasnt hit their peak but u need to invest in them to reap rewards. Now if u think iyer is better qualitative batsman then gill n pant then its different. Had iyer n manish competed with rayudu n rahane i wud have choosen iyer n manish any day. Its about choosing better. 

About t20 ,  we gonna compete with england n wi so u need to play an aggressive game which is what MI does and thats why their ppl are easily fitting it. Sky for me is a better t20 pick but if odi ill choose iyer over sky. For LOI my theory is simple u need impact player utility and he is none. Now if he keeps playing like today ill be the 1st one to change my opinion and u knw i was the 1st to change in rohit case . When we consider someones problem we consider after watching it for long  so to consider it solved u also need to see for long. Im  not obsessed with numbers n individuals....its all about team combinations thats what ppl dnt get. Good teams are made when everyone fits the role, rather fitting many good guys on wrong roles. 

A team need structure and iyer, manish spoils our structure

U know why MI is a top side and its not only coz of rohit. Its becoz of their structure ....they select players for roles rather picking names. DC despite having names lacks structure and a lot is due to iyer. Reason kohli also struggles as captain coz he doesnt know how to structure a side. Like a fan he falls for name. Whatever ur name is if u dnt play at right spot it wnt work . 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
23 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

if u want proper comparison rayudu was a terrible fielder n iyer name came third in list of droppers and he doesnt even play 1 format 

You are nitpicking now. Iyer has good numbers. Has performed well in tricky situations and sure has sucked when everyone else has too.

Even in this series, he has a critical 60+ and 35+ in 2/4 games better than a lot of other players.

As I said he is only just turned 26, has been invested in. The next 2-3 years is when a batsman hits peak. He has done well, so not sure why you want to scrap his chances now when he has done nothing wrong.

You are plainly going by eye test which is not a way to evaluate someone.

Yes he has issues but he has put the numbers and grabbed his chances way more than others so no way he should be dropped.

Thank god selectors don’t think this way all the time, they have destroyed some careers but this is a vain way of killing someone’s career because they don’t impress you aesthetically.