Can Shreyas Iyer become the next Michael Bevan for India?

7 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

You are nitpicking now. Iyer has good numbers. Has performed well in tricky situations and sure has sucked when everyone else has too.

Even in this series, he has a critical 60+ and 35+ in 2/4 games better than a lot of other players.

As I said he is only just turned 26, has been invested in. The next 2-3 years is when a batsman hits peak. He has done well, so not sure why you want to scrap his chances now when he has done nothing wrong.

You are plainly going by eye test which is not a way to evaluate someone.

Yes he has issues but he has put the numbers and grabbed his chances way more than others so no way he should be dropped.

Thank god selectors don’t think this way all the time, they have destroyed some careers but this is a vain way of killing someone’s career because they don’t impress you aesthetically.

i have already answer ur each query in ur reply . 

U think sky is aesthetically pleasing that i back him in t20 or even pant, kishen or pandya ? 

image.png

also how is this nitpicking???  the guy in such short career makes this list at 3 only below 2 guys who play all format which he doesnt. Go check rayudu fielding thread n count around 50 runs lost in misfield. Everything matters 

Actualy he is at 2 with a keeper who will drop catches 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

if u want proper comparison rayudu was a terrible fielder n iyer name came third in list of droppers and he doesnt even play 1 format 

Iyer is like Rayudu because they both drop catches, even though there's 21 runs difference in their strike rates?

Next you'll say Pant is like Parthiv Patel by comparing their wicketkeeping. :phehe:

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i have already answer ur each query in ur reply . 

U think sky is aesthetically pleasing that i back him in t20 or even pant, kishen or pandya ? 

image.png

also how is this nitpicking???  the guy in such short career makes this list at 3 only below 2 guys who play all format which he doesnt. Go check rayudu fielding thread n count around 50 runs lost in misfield. Everything matters 

Actualy he is at 2 with a keeper who will drop catches 

Honestly, I didn't knew of these stats. But based on whatever I have seen of him on field, I always felt he is a good fielder. In that list, Rahane who is a great fielder is also shown as 4 dropped catches. Oh lord! I need to edit my post, I see Jadeja also with 4 dropped catches. :phehe:

Compared to that, in India team based on what I have seen of all, Chahal and Shardul are clearly visible as average fielders. 

Edited by Majestic
10 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Iyer is like Rayudu because they both drop catches, even though there's 21 runs difference in their strike rates?

Next you'll say Pant is like Parthiv Patel by comparing their wicketkeeping. :phehe:

s/r n avg ....do u really wanna make judgement on such small sample....go ahead 

did u see pant keep in this ind-eng test series...parthiv patel kept like a goal keeper

About batting they both have technique issue in the basic game against fast bowling although lesser then rayudu ...like even rana, tripathi, krunal  also do. Oh wait u rated rana n tripathi to :phehe:

Like i say Manish is a bit like rahane coz their basic game has issues against spin doesnt . Although both manish n iyer are upgrade on those 2 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Honestly, I didn't knew of these stats. But based on whatever I have seen of him on field, I always felt he is a good fielder.

Compared to that, in India team based on what I have seen of all, Chahal and Shardul are clearly visible as average fielders.

chahal was always ****. Deepak chahar also drops a lot ....u gotta observe in large sample 

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

chahal was always ****. Deepak chahar also drops a lot ....u gotta observe in large sample 

In that list, I see Rahane who is a great fielder with 4 drop catches and he only plays test matches. So, I will not conclude anything based on that.

Regarding Rayudu, I tell you one thing his average of 45 @ SR 78 itself is inflated by bashing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. During his early days, he was only reserved for matches when India toured Zimbabwe and other minnows.

Shreyas has average of 45 at S/R 100 after touring Aus, NZ and SA and his peak days are ahead.

Edited by Majestic
2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

In that list, I see Rahane who is a great fielder with 4 drop catches and he only plays test matches. So, I will not conclude anything based on that.

\

Again u have to see games, rahane has dropped a lot of catches in last 1-2 yrs 

2 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Regarding Rayudu, I tell you one thing his average of 45 @ SR 78 itself is inflated by bashing Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. During his early days, he was only reserved for matches when India toured Zimbabwe and other minnows.

Shreyas has average of 45 at S/R 100 after touring Aus, NZ and SA and his peak days are ahead.

and he failed in Aus n SA , Nz is one team that doesnt exploit hard length properly the only guy who does is wagner but he doesnt play LOI . Aus even bullied him at home

actually what works for  iyer is Aus is one team who can exploit this issue consistently other teams despite pace are not consistent enough with it. But its just not his issue there are more be it quick wrist spin or seam swing which on days can be a problem when its semi final conditions. Plus my big issue with him is he competes with gill n pant and he is not a better batsman then them qualitatively. I wud invest in those 2 rather then him or manish. Had he competed with rahane or rayudu i wud have taken him any day. 

In t20 u need guys like SKY , MI is the template everyone needs to copy- Attack, Attack, Attack 

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Again u have to see games, rahane has dropped a lot of catches in last 1-2 yrs 

and he failed in Aus n SA , Nz is one team that doesnt exploit hard length properly the only guy who does is wagner but he doesnt play LOI . Aus even bullied him at home

actually what works for  iyer is Aus is one team who can exploit this issue consistently other teams despite pace are not consistent enough with it. But its just not his issue there are more be it quick wrist spin or seam swing which on days can be a problem when its semi final conditions. Plus my big issue with him is he competes with gill n pant and he is not a better batsman then them qualitatively. I wud invest in those 2 rather then him or manish. Had he competed with rahane or rayudu i wud have taken him any day. 

In t20 u need guys like SKY , MI is the template everyone needs to copy- Attack, Attack, Attack 

Manish Pandey averages 34 at S/R of 91 in ODIs.

Vijay Shankar averages 31 at S/R of 90.

Both are much more older than Iyer and have poor stats.

Iyer is not a bad fielder at all, this nonsense that he is liability on the field is ridiculous. He is just fine in both shorter formats. Guy like Shaw played test cricket with so many weaknesses and we are nitpicking this guy's technique.Very underrated guy who should have been picked ahead of that useless Rayudu before 2019 world cup.

25 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Iyer is not a bad fielder at all, this nonsense that he is liability on the field is ridiculous. He is just fine in both shorter formats. Guy like Shaw played test cricket with so many weaknesses and we are nitpicking this guy's technique.Very underrated guy who should have been picked ahead of that useless Rayudu before 2019 world cup.

+1000 but we all know who was enamored with Rayudu

2 hours ago, Majestic said:

Manish Pandey averages 34 at S/R of 91 in ODIs.

Vijay Shankar averages 31 at S/R of 90.

Both are much more older than Iyer and have poor stats.

With such small careers numbers arent exact thing to follow. To select a player 1st u need to decide what sought of structure u wanna have in team and find best players acc. Age is overrated unless ur around 35-36. Despite both are better fielder n shankar bowls to. At this point those 2 Arent even in picture so their names shudnt even pop up. 

Structure of side if they want to play a safe game then dhawan manish also aint bad. But if u wanna play aggresive brand in t20 guys like kishen sky pant pandya is the answer n thats what MI does. 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
59 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

With such small careers numbers arent exact thing to follow. To select a player 1st u need to decide what sought of structure u wanna have in team and find best players acc. Age is overrated unless ur around 35-36. Despite both are better fielder n shankar bowls to. At this point those 2 Arent even in picture so their names shudnt even pop up. 

Structure of side if they want to play a safe game then dhawan manish also aint bad. But if u wanna play aggresive brand in t20 guys like kishen sky pant pandya is the answer n thats what MI does. 

The only reason Manish and Vijay Shankar have low averages and small career is because they failed to grab their chances. They are not youngsters but in the setup from long time. They failed to grab their chances even after competing with likes of Rayudu and Jadhav. That is why they didn't got long rope. You can't expect 30+ age player to be given long rope of 15-20 chances.

Iyer is younger than both and he grabbed the initial chances he got and still doing the same. Also, he will have serious competition from other guys now compared to Manish and Vijay who had easier competition and still failed to grab the chances. 

Edited by Majestic
5 hours ago, Majestic said:

The only reason Manish and Vijay Shankar have low averages and small career is because they failed to grab their chances. They are not youngsters but in the setup from long time. They failed to grab their chances even after competing with likes of Rayudu and Jadhav. That is why they didn't got long rope. You can't expect 30+ age player to be given long rope of 15-20 chances.

they both had diff case

1. Manish - he struggles against spin and on slow tracks so his number use to take a beating when he came to subcontinent. Like even iyer went to SA n Aus he failed

2. Shankar- was given a proper run. Technically he was way more sound then iyer , manish and many. They wanted an like for like replacement for pandya which shankar wasnt , he was in mathhews mould. Shankar was mostly batted all over the order and failed in 2 wcs games then injury. His 2 good knocks ended with unlucky ruin out or else he wud have converted those 2 n improved his avg . Thats why small sample dnt tell much. If Rohit sharma n yuvi initial stats wuid have been taken no one cud tell how big player they ll become

5 hours ago, Majestic said:

Iyer is younger than both and he grabbed the initial chances he got and still doing the same. Also, he will have serious competition from other guys now compared to Manish and Vijay who had easier competition and still failed to grab the chances. 

Now he competition is vs gill n pant for middle in odi and sky , kishen, pant in t20 and in my opinion in terms of quality he falls short of all so ill rather invest in others. Neways he isnt write kind of player u want in middle for t20 unless he starts batting like pooran or morgan

2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

they both had diff case

1. Manish - he struggles against spin and on slow tracks so his number use to take a beating when he came to subcontinent. Like even iyer went to SA n Aus he failed

2. Shankar- was given a proper run. Technically he was way more sound then iyer , manish and many. They wanted an like for like replacement for pandya which shankar wasnt , he was in mathhews mould. Shankar was mostly batted all over the order and failed in 2 wcs games then injury. His 2 good knocks ended with unlucky ruin out or else he wud have converted those 2 n improved his avg . Thats why small sample dnt tell much. If Rohit sharma n yuvi initial stats wuid have been taken no one cud tell how big player they ll become

Now he competition is vs gill n pant for middle in odi and sky , kishen, pant in t20 and in my opinion in terms of quality he falls short of all so ill rather invest in others. Neways he isnt write kind of player u want in middle for t20 unless he starts batting like pooran or morgan

In T20s, he shouldn't be in XI.

But in ODIs, he is better option than Kishan, Manish and Samson.

44 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

In odi he competes with gill n pant now. 

Pant is competing with Rahul not with Iyer.

Gill I don’t think is a 100 sr middle order bat. More like a top 3.

Iyer has done nothing to be dropped from odi’s based on 1 average series where most sucked and we lost 2-1.

You would be throwing tantrums if your fav player was dropped based on 2-3 matches.

Be practical. His s/r has only improved and sure everyone gets to pad stats and even that is an art. In 2 years on and off his stature has only grown and he deserves more chances. 

Rahul has gotten more opportunities than Iyer but you don’t see that because you think he is “tailunted”. I like Rahul too btw but you can’t pick and chose based on that. You have to give a reasonable opportunity.

At 26 years he will peak in the next 2-3 years if things go according to how they do for batsmen and we don’t want to chop and change. If he fails in the next 2-3 series he will be out anyways.

You will want the next batch from u-19 to replace the players replacing Iyer. Need to have  patience.