How many like for like international players can replace the current Indian players?

40 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

One thing about Pujara though watching him bat has helped a lot of people. There used to be a Pujara fan on this forum called ChePujara the don. Pujara’s boring batting eventually broke him so much that he decided to pick up the super exciting adrenaline pumping sport of Chess as his main thing

Test cricket is a bit like chess so that fan was probably Pujara's big fan as he saw a grand master in Pujara  ... If "watchability" is the key criteria, Richards, Lara, Gilchrist, Sehwag, etc., would be my top picks but that does not mean Borders, S Waughs, Kallises, Pujaras, etc., are sidelined 

PS When in college, I hated losing in chess more than in any other sport. One evening, I challenged that no one could beat me.  Over confident, I was beaten in the first game. With my ego hurt, I offered to take anyone /everyone who would beat me (irrespective of the number of attempts) to movies. Many tried, the games went on till early morning. Many even stayed late to see if I could be beaten. At dawn, people realized it was an impossible task. Of course, because of my "intensity", people avoided playing chess with me so I had to play with computers. Similar thing with computers, was difficult for it to beat me ... Now I haven't touched chess in a long long time but it is no less exciting or adrenaline pumping if you know the stakes ... In cricket, there can be various variables but in chess, it is just you (no one else is to blame for the loss or bad performance) :om:

Edited by zen
15 minutes ago, zen said:

Test cricket is a bit like chess so that fan was probably Pujara's big fan as he saw a grand master in Pujara  ... If "watchability" is the key criteria, Richards, Lara, Gilchrist, Sehwag, etc., would be my top picks but that does not mean Borders, S Waughs, Kallises, Pujaras, etc., are sidelined 

PS When in college, I hated losing in chess more than in any other sport. One evening, I challenged that no one could beat me.  Over confident, I was beaten in the first game. With my ego hurt, I offered to take anyone /everyone who would beat me (irrespective of the number of attempts) to movies. Many tried, the games went on till early morning. People even stay late to see if I could be beaten. At dawn, people realized it was an impossible task. Similar thing with computers, was difficult for it to beat me. Of course, because of my "intensity", people avoided playing chess with me. And I haven't touched chess in a long long time but it is no less exciting or adrenaline pumping if you know the stakes ... In cricket, there can be various variables but in chess, it is just you (no one else is to blame for the loss or bad performance) :om:

so basically you didn’t win or lose but bored them to death and kill any enthusiasm they had chess for whatsoever for future purposes  :phehe:

Yes sounds like a Chepu knock

3 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

so basically you didn’t win or lose but bored them to death and kill any enthusiasm they had chess for whatsoever for future purposes  :phehe:

Yes sounds like a Chepu knock

After the first game, I won all the games against various players, who could have been fresher ... Playing with friends/associates, you are not allowed too much time. If you take too long, people will ask you to make a move

2 minutes ago, zen said:

After the first game, I won all the games against various players, who could have been fresher ... Playing with friends/associates, you are not allowed too much time. If you take too long, people will ask you to make a move

That’s exactly what we feel about Pujara

Just now, Global.Baba said:

That’s exactly what we feel about Pujara

I see that but the beauty of test cricket is that every type of player can thrive in it playing to their strength ... leaving the balls, tiring the bowlers, etc., is part of cricket too. If we did not have a Pujara, we would not have opened our account in tests in Aus for e.g.  ... we do have relatively more time bound formats and cannot evaluate players based on those guidelines (as I said I would pick a Sehwag to watch but would pick S Waugh if I had the option to pick only one irrespective of the batting positions) 

1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

One thing about Pujara though watching him bat has helped a lot of people. There used to be a Pujara fan on this forum called ChePujara the don. Pujara’s boring batting eventually broke him so much that he decided to pick up the super exciting adrenaline pumping sport of Chess as his main thing @FischerTal @Laaloo

maniac, post from your own account.

1 hour ago, zen said:

I see that but the beauty of test cricket is that every type of player can thrive in it playing to their strength ... leaving the balls, tiring the bowlers, etc., is part of cricket too. If we did not have a Pujara, we would not have opened our account in tests in Aus for e.g.  ... we do have relatively more time bound formats and cannot evaluate players based on those guidelines (as I said I would pick a Sehwag to watch but would pick S Waugh if I had the option to pick only one irrespective of the batting positions) 

S.Waugh by no means was boring. He played plenty of counter attacking knocks. 

Let me put it this way, would you pick Ross Taylor over Pujara? Capable of playing defensive innings and can also have the 5th-6th gear when required. 

Do you think a player like Ross Taylor would have made our line up stronger?

15 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

S.Waugh by no means was boring. He played plenty of counter attacking knocks. 

Let me put it this way, would you pick Ross Taylor over Pujara? Capable of playing defensive innings and can also have the 5th-6th gear when required. 

Do you think a player like Ross Taylor would have made our line up stronger?

First of all, how is "boring" a criteria in tests? ... Are we picking players for personal enjoyment based on our preferences or what is optimized for Ind? 

Second, there is no 5th or 6th gear requirements in tests 

Third, how is Ross Taylor in to this conversation? Since Pujara is the most impactful test batsman Ind since 1990s, do you think Ross is more impactful than all other Indian batsmen?

Edited by zen

I’m going to stick to ODI cricket: 

Rohit - None

Dhawan -> Bairstow

Kohli - None 

Iyer -> Morgan 

Rahul -> Buttler

Pandya -> Stokes

Jadeja -> Shakib  

Bhuvi -> Cummins

Shami -> Boult 

Bumrah -> None 

Chahal -> Rashid Khan 

I believe everyone on this forum will never trade Kohli, Rohit and Bumrah for any player and will agree with me here. 

9 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Pujara- Root/ Smith/Williamson @zen ur views :phehe:

will take all 3 over pujara 

Iyer- Morgan/ Maxwell. That’s about it. May be Pooran in T20. That’s about it.

:hysterical:, pollard russell gayle bhi bol dena 

Shami- Pat Cummins in Odi maybe but in tests and T20 will pick Shami 

Bhuvi- Hazelwood (debatable) but that’s about it I guess. Southee can hit the ball but Bhuvi is a better bowler.

none are like for like 

Pant- Butler in Odis and T20 but Pant in tests.

Nope 

Rahane- Labuschagne, Stokes the batsman.

Nope 

Natarajan- Starc,Boult,Shaheen Shah,Sam Curran (as a total package) . I know unfair on Nattu though as he is still a rookie but as left arm option he is competing with some of the best.

Starc is massively quick and doesnt bring the ball back in like boult, shaheen does 

Sky/Kishen- jury is out as they just made their debut so giving them some leeway.

Siraj- Just like Nattu it is unfair but he loses out to Hazelwood (in tests), Woakes (total package as an allrounder).

Nope

Pandya- Holder (in tests). He is the best utility cricketer in the world so irreplaceable in LoI format. Stokes is in a different category/ league now.

Nope, russell is like for like but russel has achieved his peak

Jadeja- Shakib in LOI’s. In tests you can’t replace one of the best spinners in the world 

Santner , although santner needs to improve his batting

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
11 minutes ago, SecondSlip said:

I’m going to stick to ODI cricket: 

Rohit - None

Dhawan -> Bairstow

Kohli - None 

Iyer -> Morgan 

Rahul -> Buttler

Pandya -> Stokes

Jadeja -> Shakib  

Bhuvi -> Cummins

Shami -> Boult 

Bumrah -> None 

Chahal -> Rashid Khan 

I believe everyone on this forum will never trade Kohli, Rohit and Bumrah for any player and will agree with me here. 

Current Kohli? Would trade buttler for him or even Williamson anyway. 

1. KL- Butler/ Babar azam (if he plays his natural game butler or else he babar)
  2. Rohit - bairstrow / warner (although warner is leftie but many aspects are similar)
  3. Kohli - Williamson (only in t20s)
  4. pant & kishen- Pooran 
  5. sky- maxwell
  6. Pandya- russell 
  7. Jaddu- santner 
  8. Nattu- Fizz 
  9. Bhuvi- none 
  10. Bumrah- none
  11. Chahal - cant think of any 
  12. krunal- imad wasim (now this is a perfect like for like)
  13. Rahane- Asad shafique 
  14. Ravi ashwin - none 
  15. shami- none
  16. umesh- wahab riaz (both leak machines)

Most of player are near abouts but here many ppl have gone for some massive upgrade or player with no similar ability 

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

@Global.Baba- what do u mean like for like ? Players with similar skill set or player who do similar role ?

What I meant was how many players we have are irreplaceable and the ones who are with an international player who plays in the same role and is better. For eg, Rashid Khan over Chahal in T20 but Virat is irreplaceable or Rohit as an all format opener 

Edited by Global.Baba