Kohli will open from now onwards

At the moment, it appears as if only guys with a fixed spot are, let’s call it Group 1:

Kohli

Rohit

SDP

Bumrah 

Group 2 (remaining batting slots including WK)

SKY 

Pant

Kishan

KL

Iyer

Samson 

Group 3 (Players who can bat and bowl)

Jadeja

Thakur

Tewatia

Sundar 

Krunal

Axar

Group 4 (spinners)

R Chahar

Chahal

Varun C

Ashwin

Group 5 (pacers/medium pacers):

Bhuvi

Natrajan

Saini

Shami

Krishna 

PS so openers like Agarwal & Shaw may not be considered. Dhawan most likely out as well

Edited by zen
9 minutes ago, Majestic said:

A bit surprised with that because he was backing KL one match ago only. When you say that you will open alongside Rohit, imagine how much the confidence of KL himself would have hurt after hearing this?

As much as i despise Kohli for his blunders but KL is always KLPD ,he seems to get hurt even with a feather strike

Jokes aside, Don't know what makes him to perennially remain under pressure,he has been backed offlate,he should have sealed his spot by now

Even with his IPL stint he looked subjugated most of the times despite leading his side where he had no one to reign over him in the xi

Edited by Suhaan

I'm not on board with it, we need a dasher in that opening slot. At least 1 and that needs to be either Pant/Kishan until we are certain Rahul has rediscovered his mojo. When you have a deep batting line up you need to go hell for leather and not worry about consolidating or keeping wickets until the end, it is an outdated approach. If you have the likes of Sundar/Shardul/Jadeja coming in at 5 down they can always ensure the team gets to a defendable total or close out a chase.

Haha last match before T20 WC, captain decides to drop the best T20 player in the team and then publicly says I will open.

Before the series the same clown had said Rohit and Rahul are the openers, Shikhar is the 3rd opener. Now 5 matches later all that stands for nothing. 

Nothing new or surprising though. Before the 2019 WC,  this is how he went

Sept '18 - Rahane is our no. 4

Jan '19 - Rayudu is the no. 4 for the WC

Come the WC - Vijay Shankar was our no. 4

If Kohli opens the innings, will leave one more spot open for Jadeja to come back whom I think will add a lot of value to the limited overs side. At 3, it should be Suryakumar and No.4 will be a toss up between Ishan Kishan, KL Rahul or Shreyas Iyer. You cant play more than 2 batsmen out of this group as it will be too batting heavy side as Pandya, Washington, Shardul can also bat. 

1 minute ago, rollingstoned said:

I'm not on board with it, we need a dasher in that opening slot. At least 1 and that needs to be either Pant/Kishan until we are certain Rahul has rediscovered his mojo. When you have a deep batting line up you need to go hell for leather and not worry about consolidating or keeping wickets until the end, it is an outdated approach. If you have the likes of Sundar/Shardul/Jadeja coming in at 5 down they can always ensure the team gets to a defendable total or close out a chase.

Today hitman played a blinder but most of the time he too is a consolidator. Kohli can't play aggressive up front and if he tries, he gets out like he did in the last game. Rohit Kishan will be a good pair, giving us the LHB-RHB advantage. 

2 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

I do hope Rahul takes this as an extra motivation to knock RCB out of IPL and inflict more pain on this clown

Rahul is a Jekyll and Hyde type. Looks like a million bucks when he gets going and totally out of sorts when he doesn't. I don't know why he goes into a shell. Look at SKY and Ishan. They are the ones under the most pressure but both refused to take the safer option of playing themselves in for 12-15 balls first. They just went for tbe jugular and seized the stage. Why can't Rahul bat freely like them? He has only himself to blame here. 

41 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

So where will Kishan bat?

Although there is no problem having him as opener,but if he has someone who doesn't take too much time ,that would be perfect,

Having Hitman at the other end who takes time,if both of them get out after consuming 15-20 deliveries ,that will derail Indian batting straightaway,if Kohli is saying such thing it means we will see him open for few matches atleast before he rolls back his decision ,he needs to bat Kishan no lower than number 3

Q: "So where will Kishan bat?"

A: In the nets.

We should not forget before the series started Virat said Rohit & Rahul will be the openers. Dhawan & Rahul opened in first game, then came Kishan as an opener. And he has concluded the series with I am gonna open. As @ShoonyaSifar rightly said unlike the way he played around with no.4 slot before WC 19, he should now be firm & play as an opener only. The team is looking solid but Virat's muddled thinking combined with penchant for flip flops is looking the only obstacle in this team's success 

Edited by SK_IH
4 minutes ago, nevada said:

Rahul is a Jekyll and Hyde type. Looks like a million bucks when he gets going and totally out of sorts when he doesn't. I don't know why he goes into a shell. Look at SKY and Ishan. They are the ones under the most pressure but both refused to take the safer option of playing themselves in for 12-15 balls first. They just went for tbe jugular and seized the stage. Why can't Rahul bat freely like them? He has only himself to blame here. 

New players usually have no baggage. Once they start having a few failures, then doubts start to creep in, teams will also know how to exploit their weakness, they will start getting scared of losing their place etc. Just because Surya or Ishan played a blinder in their debut, doesnt mean they can or will play this way successfully.

We usually tend to have a myopic view of the team, always glorify whoever is doing well at the moment, forgetting what the currently failing player did in the past and only remember their shortcomings.

8 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

We should not forget before the series started Virat said Rohit & Rahul will be the openers. Dhawan & Rahul opened in first game, then came Kishan as an opener. And he has concluded the series with I am gonna open. As @ShoonyaSifar rightly said unlike the way he played around with no.4 slot before WC 19, he should now be firm & play as an opener only. The team is looking solid but Virat's muddled thinking combined with penchant for flip flops is looking the only obstacle in this team's success 

Kohli spoke about some T20I series after the WTC Finals. So IPL and that/those T20I series will see him do complete volte face on what he has said tonight. He would want everyone, esp youngsters, unsettled so that he can show himself as the most powerful man in Indian cricket.

9 minutes ago, kubrickian said:

New players usually have no baggage. Once they start having a few failures, then doubts start to creep in, teams will also know how to exploit their weakness, they will start getting scared of losing their place etc. Just because Surya or Ishan played a blinder in their debut, doesnt mean they can or will play this way successfully.

We usually tend to have a myopic view of the team, always glorify whoever is doing well at the moment, forgetting what the currently failing player did in the past and only remember their shortcomings.

Sure, there's no guarantees SKY and Kishan will succeed consistently. But I find their bold approach refreshing. Ishan played a blinder but already he is out of the X1. SKY got dropped after not even batting in his first outing. Compared to them, the rope for Rahul is much longer.  But in 4 innings he failed to play even one impactful cameo and looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders.

6 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Kohli spoke about some T20I series after the WTC Finals. So IPL and that/those T20I series will see him do complete volte face on what he has said tonight. He would want everyone, esp youngsters, unsettled so that he can show himself as the most powerful man in Indian cricket.

He has already derailed Ishant. He will also drop SKY the first chance he gets.