After watching this: Do you think quality of cricket has gone up or down since 70’s-80’s?

Has cricket quality gone up or down   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is quality of cricket better in this video from now?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

this is the correct response to this rubbish. past is always overrated due to nostalgia. 

Anyway, west indian team of 80s would be a top team in any era though. that is certain. Great teams will do well in any era. put current bowling attack of india with 90s or 2000 era team and they will win everywhere too. 

I agree. Indian current bowling attack is phenomenol. The great W's pale in comparison to what India has.

I doubt if kapil Dev could find a spot in this lineup as a bowler.

1 hour ago, zen said:

Top test teams in the 80s were WI, Pak & NZ (Hadlee + Crowe) iirc

I think India won a series in Eng and I know you said tests but  also WC and WSC so must have been up there. We lacked fast bowling doesn’t mean we didn’t have other players who were top of the line.

8 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

I think India won a series in Eng and I know you said tests but  also WC and WSC so must have been up there. We lacked fast bowling doesn’t mean we didn’t have other players who were top of the line.

I am only mentioning the top 3 test teams in the 80s ... Ind and Eng were not top test teams iirc ... Aus lost steam once Lillee, etc., retired ... I may have done a thread here on top teams by decade or something 

PS

7 minutes ago, zen said:

I am only mentioning the top 3 test teams in the 80s ... Ind and Eng were not top test teams iirc ... Aus lost steam once Lillee, etc., retired ... I may have done a thread here on top teams by decade or something 

PS

what do you think about the bowling and fielding in the video posted though? Do you think it will hold up in 2021?

Edited by Global.Baba
2 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

The pitch and the bowling in the video and add to that the catching would destroy batting line ups most if not all teams today.

Just to add apparently WI scored 400 runs in a day on the same pitch in this game . Incredible.

The WI team of the 1980s was much ahead of its time, which is why it was such a dominant side. 

They had a bunch of pacers who could bowl accurately at pace and move the ball too. Moreover, they had a bunch of batsmen who were stroke players with good enough batting averages.

This brand of cricket is more like what we see post 2015.

Most teams of the 1980s played a much older brand of cricket compared to the WI.  And this should be considered as the general standard then.

Edited by express bowling
8 hours ago, sarchasm said:

I see holding bowl and it makes me think. He was probably as good as Jofra.

Now do a similar montage of Madan lal and binny bowl in the 80s and compare it with Bumrah and Shami and Umesh. That should lay bare the stupidity of this OP. 

Jofra  is not in the same league !!  He would not have been in first 6 of West Indies bowlers 

5 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Serious question, why are people confusing this thread to be some kind of criticism of India’s evolution as a cricketing power?

Even if we exclude the bat,boundary,poretrctive gear etc,  The Aussie batting in this video is definitely inferior quality to the Aussie  batting side of 2020-2021 with Smith,Warner,Labu and even Wade who is probably better than a lot of batsmen playing here?

However teams go through ups and downs in terms of quality. This has nothing to do with changes in cricket rules or new innovations.

Cricket as a whole seems to be holding (no pun intended) up. The pitch and the bowling in the video and add to that the catching would destroy batting line ups most if not all teams today.

Just to add apparently WI scored 400 runs in a day on the same pitch in this game . Incredible.

You are a product of your time. Can't compare eras. Great teams will be great in any era. Virats India will be great in an any era despite him being a mediocre thinker. 

6 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Watch the video, the bowling is just not about bouncing out the batsman, that’s disservice to the skill and quality of the WI attack and their fielding.

Yes the Aussie team is probably not their greatest.

batsman also wasnt just scared of short ball, that ball cud hurt u without proper protection it even does it with proper. Ur feet will not move if ur instict is getting saved. Plus still bowler is running to the crease ur not even sure that what ball is coming so that whole runup wud have been fearful. 

6 hours ago, putrevus said:

It is all about teams. 1970s WI  would be their strongest teams in their history and pssible the greatest team ever  . It does not matter how fit the latest WI players are they would not match the talent level of 1970s-80s WI teams. 

If people think modern batsmen with all the protection can handle those bowlers then they are completely wrong. It is the four pronged pace attack with no respite to the batsmen. If four Cummins quality fast bowlers who had something different to offer then how are batsmen going to survive them.

If Walsh and Ambrose twosome caused such havoc then what would foursome of those bowlers would do batsmen.

Their batting lineup would fit perfectly to suit any style or brand of cricket .

Look at the calibre of players they played against? These days you need a keeper batsman. You need all rounders that can help bat deep. 

There are.tapes to study opponents. Modern batsmen don't have to face unlimited bouncers like the 80s. Protective hearing makes it easier to bat vs pace as they are less afraid of getting hit. 

But I agree great teams will be great in any era. Just like how virats India would be great in any era. Same with west indies of the 80s. This despite Virat being a dunderhead as captain. 

Edited by Jay
12 hours ago, Khota said:

People who talk about the past are trying to dimiish India's achievements. Cricket is much better now. Bowling is faster hitting is harder and T20 has done wonders for this game.

Indian fast bowling has improved by a great deal  since then but overall quality of cricket was better in those days. 

8 hours ago, putrevus said:

people think modern batsmen with all the protection can handle those bowlers then they are completely wrong.

I think they are right, current batsmen won't find those bowlers tough to handle its unfair to compare generations, different facilities, nutrition, assistance from support staff its a different professional setup. But greatness should be considered with the era in consideration. 

I think they are right, current batsmen won't find those bowlers tough to handle its unfair to compare generations, different facilities, nutrition, assistance from support staff its a different professional setup. But greatness should be considered with the era in consideration. 

I don’t think so , 90 mph with bounce is same in any era so modern batsmen might not get hurt but they sure won’t be able to overcome that four prong pace attack .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10 hours ago, putrevus said:

It is all about teams. 1970s WI  would be their strongest teams in their history and pssible the greatest team ever  . It does not matter how fit the latest WI players are they would not match the talent level of 1970s-80s WI teams. 

If people think modern batsmen with all the protection can handle those bowlers then they are completely wrong. It is the four pronged pace attack with no respite to the batsmen. If four Cummins quality fast bowlers who had something different to offer then how are batsmen going to survive them.

If Walsh and Ambrose twosome caused such havoc then what would foursome of those bowlers would do batsmen.

Their batting lineup would fit perfectly to suit any style or brand of cricket .

They were not Cummins quality bowler. Even in this video, you can see how wayward Holding was.also I feel standards of West Indies team are still quite similar but oppositions have just become better.