ECB could offer IPL franchises stakes in Hundred teams

vayuu1

@sandeep

Tangential question:  How do you feel about not letting our fringe players (ya know Sarfaraz Khan, Mahipal Lomror types who are not close to India selection but still decent players) ply their trade in other T20 leagues?  What are the pros and cons of allowing them to play in Australia or England when they are not playing for their IPL/state/zonal teams?  

I see the point about the ipl having a competitive advantage by holding on to Indian players. But then, is there a way for India to gain something by having a stake in this league. Maybe, have ECB change its rules so that more Indians can play county cricket. Something like that..

3 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

I see the point about the ipl having a competitive advantage by holding on to Indian players. But then, is there a way for India to gain something by having a stake in this league. Maybe, have ECB change its rules so that more Indians can play county cricket. Something like that..

Why should we ? I mean our players make enough money in domestics. Enough of this pleasing the colonists who screwed us over for centuries. Ranji trophy has long histroy and is iconic. India now has variety of pitches. Still dont get the obsession with England. 

10 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Why should we ? I mean our players make enough money in domestics. Enough of this pleasing the colonists who screwed us over for centuries. Ranji trophy has long histroy and is iconic. India now has variety of pitches. Still dont get the obsession with England. 

No need to please anyone, if there is money to be made and more gains than losses than BCCI should do it.

The hardcore  cricket  fans will watch it anyways, it will get broadcast rights anyways , there is no rule that VK,Rohit,Dhoni,Bumrah need to play in this. A DK,Hooda,Vijay Shankar, Manish Pandey,Iyer,Sky,Sundar,Chawla  or even Jaiswal, Shaw etc will only gain in playing in these conditions (the ones who are in the scheme of things) or will not have a lot of impact (the over the hill types) . You can throw in some exciting youngsters like Samad etc too. It’s a new format anyways and no ones property so India can rip off anytime or hold ECB hostage if it gets too big.

Remember we have the leverage. Why are people assuming that we will just let ECB walk all over us if we consider a deal. 

Some of Baba's posts are inane but we should be ok with allowing Indian players not in contention for an India or India A cap (so not amongst the core 30-40 players) in playing leagues during the Indian summer if they wish to. 

Obviously that's not what the ECB is aiming for but screw them. 

We should also use this as leverage to get rid of the 2-ball nonsense in ODI cricket. 

5 hours ago, gattaca said:

Ranji trophy is fine. But those that do go say that they have learned something from the county experience. Whether it is the conditions, the coaching or just the experience of managing by oneself in a different place- they gain from it. As of now, the opportunities are limited because there are only a certain number of slots for “foreign” players. I am suggesting we negotiate for more slots for Indian players. All I am saying is that in addition to potential profits, we should also look to see if there are opportunities for our players to develop, which would keep our team strong in the long run.

13 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

@sandeep

Tangential question:  How do you feel about not letting our fringe players (ya know Sarfaraz Khan, Mahipal Lomror types who are not close to India selection but still decent players) ply their trade in other T20 leagues?  What are the pros and cons of allowing them to play in Australia or England when they are not playing for their IPL/state/zonal teams?  

That's a good question - I do not expect BCCI to open this avenue anytime soon, because once you start allowing some 'active' players to play in away leagues, then legally you can't stop others.  So its kindof a all or nothing situation.  If we don't want Bumrah/Kohli playing in other leagues, which we definitely don't, then its difficult to allow the Uthappas or Lomrors to do so.

15 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's a good question - I do not expect BCCI to open this avenue anytime soon, because once you start allowing some 'active' players to play in away leagues, then legally you can't stop others.  So its kindof a all or nothing situation.  If we don't want Bumrah/Kohli playing in other leagues, which we definitely don't, then its difficult to allow the Uthappas or Lomrors to do so.

Can't we say "anyone without a central contract"?