India: Covid - II

kepler37b

16 minutes ago, nikred said:

My parents, my sister and my brother-in-law got Covid last month and recovered.

I was more worried about my mother as she is a diabetic. But even she showed only mild symptoms and recovered without any issues. I think it's more because of her disciplined life style. Yoga, walking and good diet.

I got negative around the same time but couple of days back I got fever and cold but recovered. My wife is fine. I expected it to be due to seasonal change. But I lost sense of taste and I suspect I could have Covid too.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

Take care :icflove:

58 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Sorry to hear that. Covid is just a notch higher than normal viral fever. It will pass. Do not be so concerned about that.

Edit: seems to have repeated. Mods delete this.

Edited by I6MTW

56 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Sorry to hear that. Covid is just a notch higher than normal viral fever. It will pass. Do not be so concerned about that.

Yes. Everyone in my home got COVID and they seem to be recovering. So it's good so far. Only affects people who are very old and are ailing.

I am more concerned about the post(long) COVID symptoms which seem to develop after COVID is gone. 

59 minutes ago, kepler37b said:

Edit: seems to have repeated. Mods please delete this.

Edited by I6MTW

46 minutes ago, beetle said:

Take care ....just take precaution. 

Take steam and drink hot fluids....it really helps with the sore throat and headache.

It could be covid or just seasonal viral thingyy. 

Yes could be seasonal, but everyone in my home has COVID, so I expect it to be that.

In hyderabad, the traders (I believe in Abids) did this type of demonstration for some time. But as soon as two of their group were dead due to Corona, they voluntarily closed down all their shops out of sheer fear.  It is human tendency to take action when there is a hit to the "own" group. 

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

All depends on ramping up of vaccination doses and hospital beds. Or else, be prepared for another lockdown. Modi must be waiting for time till the fear sets in to aam Janata.

7 minutes ago, Singh bling said:

No plan to end Kumbh Mela despite rise in COVID-19 cases

So Covid is no threat to devotees

So, no Covid threats to farmer protests in and around Delhi, Maha-Panchayats in Punjab, UP, Haryana, election rallies held in WB, Assam, TN, Pondy and Kerala. IMO, all should have one rule. 

Edited by coffee_rules

As someone said, the only thing more complicated than Tenet is to understand logic of night time lockdown. 

i think the panic reaction during the first lockdown was understandable to some extent. But in today’s circumstances and India’s context, it doesn’t make sense. We are trying to ape western models on health management. We have to see it in light of Indian context. 

Last one week’s experience for me and my family afflicted by COVID has raised many doubt and questions. About vaccines, COVID 19, human penchant for fear, lack of quality data etc. I want to reserve my judgement at this point but I fear that in years to come we will not discuss the virus as much as sheer incompetence and recklessness of governments. 

I have theory. The spread of Covid is directly linked to Indian school reopening in jan 2021 as Kids follow zero rules, kids don’t display covid infection symptoms and kids give a damn about what is covid. Why?
In UK, we. Were in lockdown and as long as schools were closed Covid was contained. Unlike India, in UK they opened schools in September 2020 with boundries such that student from various class are separated by zones. Covid kept rising. Chk the UK covid graph on internet. Government was baffled aand in December closed the schools. Same happened in India but schools didn’t had different zones for each class which multiplied Covid in school and sent it back to kids homes.

So lets not blindly blame people of India

Edited by mishra

On 3/30/2021 at 5:27 PM, Mariyam said:

40k of these are from Maharashtra.

The number of active cases in Maharashtra are 215k, while those in UP and Bengal are under 4k. Those places are also densely populated. The discrepancy is shocking.

What does one make of this?

Looks like very few state governments are actually taking Covid seriously: Maharashtra, Gujarat, Karnataka, TN and Rajasthan. Maybe Delhi. The rest of them are using it as an opportunity to usurp aid from the centre. Are the others even carrying out tests on the required scale?

UP is worse in testing. I have had first hand experience. Yogis men are pretty inconsiderate and ruthless when it comes to testing and tracing. I don’t think Maharashtra govmt or Delhi govmt is anywhere close to showing urgency Yogi shows, because i was undectated when i was in Delhi but they came to our home thrice to get sample. Tbh, i was pretty pissed with UP Administrations harassment in name of Covid testing 

Edited by mishra

Another hypothesis:  A new variant. 

Note:  More replication of existing strain = increased chance of variants.  Each time the virus replicates, it changes.  Changes accumulate.  Most changes don't do any additional harm.  But, one particular combination of changes can be perfect storm resulting in a bang-bang variant.  

Slower replication means slower accumulation of changes and decreased chance of bang-bang variants.  By slowing replication using existing strategies like distancing, masks, and vaccines, rise of variants can be slowed.  

https://theconversation.com/whats-the-new-coronavirus-variant-in-india-and-how-should-it-change-their-covid-response-157957

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 15-20% of samples from the Indian state of Maharashtra (the state accounting for 62% of cases in the country) a new, double mutation in key areas of the virus has been detected. These are now known as the E484Q and L452R mutations.

What makes the variant different?

Both these mutations are concerning because they are located in a key portion of the virus – the spike protein – that it uses to penetrate human cells. Spike proteins attach via a “receptor binding domain”, meaning the virus can attach to receptors in our cells.

These new mutations include changes to the spike protein that make it a “better fit” for human cells. This means the virus can gain entry more easily and multiply faster. 

What has to happen now?

To combat the consequences of mutations in India, its pandemic response will have to incorporate several measures. Genomic surveillance will have to be proactive and coincide with the epidemiological investigation of the cluster of cases for early identification and swift action.

As some variants can escape naturally induced immunity, vaccine manufacturers in India will need to develop better vaccines to cover these new variants. Ongoing surveillance and containment measures need to be strengthened to prevent the emergence of new variants by minimising viral replication.

And finally, swift and rapid vaccine coverage is not only necessary but essential for ensuring any modest levels of success in tackling this pandemic.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

It makes no sense to have religious gathering or political rallies now. ALL religious gathering should be stopped( including Islam and Christianity , mentioning it just in case someone pounces on me with Whataboutery). All political rallies should stop/ should have been stopped.

Political leaders in Kerala and TN are already suffering because of their carelessness, one is already dead ( srivilliputhur candidate). 2 others are serious apparently.  They will get the best healthcare, but it is the poor cadres who are suffering now. 

PM's tweet boasting about crowds in Bengal are irresponsible to say the least, but we just can't ask one party to stop and the other to carry on . Politicians just want to win , they don't care about the voters , including Modi, Stalin, Vijayan or anyone. Left or right doent matter. Time for EC to step in.