IPL ... Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners ....

express bowling

Just now, Jay said:

imo india selects players based on their ranji exploits too. generally a good test bowler should be very good in t20. generally. not always the case though. 

For example Sakariya did well in Indian domestics, got an IPL cap on that, bowled well in his opportunities- more power to him. He is obviously way way behind for a india cap in the pecking order but he has earned it. We can’t complain.

As far as sluggish pitches helping him, on the flip side 

Take Shaw for example. Looked clueless in Australia, now struggled on a sluggish pitch. However made merry against substandard bowling in domestic and most including me hoped he has turned it around because he fits our mould of an exciting bat.

Thats the bias I have an issue with

5 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

For example Sakariya did well in Indian domestics, got an IPL cap on that, bowled well in his opportunities- more power to him. He is obviously way way behind for a india cap in the pecking order but he has earned it. We can’t complain.

As far as sluggish pitches helping him, on the flip side 

Take Shaw for example. Looked clueless in Australia, now struggled on a sluggish pitch. However made merry against substandard bowling in domestic and most including me hoped he has turned it around because he fits our mould of an exciting bat.

Thats the bias I have an issue with

shaw cant play swing, cant play on sluggish pitch. what can he even do then? just kidding. he is talented. need to give him more time. invest in him. groom him. 

he will come back. that ankle injury really ruined him. He will come back strong i believe. not ready yet. 

1 minute ago, Mosher said:

Mainly follow IPL for fast bowlers/players who are team India prospects. Guys like Tyagi, Mavi, Avesh, Nagarkoti etc. Sakariya seems like a good guy. Honest trier but not an India prospect imo. He might do well in IPL just like Rajat Bhatia/Sandeep Sharma. 

exactly. Rajat was a decent utility cricketer, Sandeep is a good IPL performer and none of them played for India even though Sandeep might have played some obscure bilateral T20/Odi iirc. We can appreciate their contributions without being too concerned if they will be selected for India. There are too many quality cricketers ahead of them but still kudos to them for being able to compete and stand on their own against some elite cricketers. That needs to be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

You still need skills to bowl on these pitches. 

Anderson was one of the toughest fast bowlers to play on some dustbowls in Ind/SL recently.

How does Anderson come in this discussion ?

Where has he depended primarily on slower balls to take wickets ?

Anderson is one of the greatest fast-medium swing bowlers to ever play test cricket. Gets steep bounce too. Is a magician with the ball nowadays. 

9 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

There is a reason Unakdut has been around for a decade and a half , he has been considered good enough to play for India back in the day, he has had decent IPL seasons in the past.

Sure he is not an allround bowler who will take wickets on every pitch but then again he is not as hopeless as we think he is. He will be smashed in another game but why can’t we appreciate skillful bowling in a thread dedicated to bowlers?

I am on the same page as you. Don’t have time for trundlers and like to watch exciting fast bowling but we can’t be biased when we are here to appreciate the overall skills of the cricketer. 

A fast bowler who needs fast pitches to show his skill is as bad as a slow medium bowler in sluggish pitches. Yeah sure there is entertainment factor but that is preference and subjective. From a cricket perspective we should give credit where due regardless of someone’s track record when they do well. Unadkut has earned all his wickets today so well done to him.

This is just a cricket forum. None of us are paid to write balanced articles about IPL performers. So, we have no liability to appreciate every performance.

Personally, only those players who seem to have the ability to be great players or atleast very good players for Team India, interest me. I don't even watch when others are bowling or batting.

And looking around me ... I see most people watch when there is stroke-play going on or good fast bowling or good swing bowling or good spin bowling.  Don't see many people watch these half and halves.

Just now, express bowling said:

How does Anderson come in this discussion ?

Where has he depended primarily on slower balls to take wickets ?

Anderson is one of the greatest fast-medium swing bowlers to ever play test cricket. Gets steep bounce too. Is a magician with the ball nowadays. 

This is just a cricket forum. None of us are paid to write balanced articles about IPL performers. So, we have no liability to appreciate every performance.

Personally, only those players who seem to have the ability to be great players or atleast very good players for Team India, interest me. I don't even watch when others are bowling or batting.

And looking around me ... I see most people watch when there is stroke-play going on or good fast bowling or good swing bowling or good spin bowling.  Don't see many people watch these half and halves.

as I said to each his own. No one is obligated for anything. I personally like to appreciate the overall game. As you know I have a preference for the mental aspect of someone’s game as well. If in the overall context someone does well regardless of what his classification is trundler/hack/boring etc etc I like to give them their due. Obviously larger context it doesn’t make difference anyway.

2 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

as I said to each his own. No one is obligated for anything. I personally like to appreciate the overall game. As you know I have a preference for the mental aspect of someone’s game as well. If in the overall context someone does well regardless of what his classification is trundler/hack/boring etc etc I like to give them their due. Obviously larger context it doesn’t make difference anyway.

You are welcome to appreciate anything you like.

I just don't agree with posts which complain why others are not appreciating player X or player Y, although he is doing well.

These are just games for us and we will only watch and like those players who we find interesting. Yes ... I want Pant, Gill, Shaw, Kohli, Rohit, Hardik etc.to do well because it will make watching cricket exciting for me. The journeymen batsmen bore me. 

2 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Really impressed by avesh till now, hitting the pitch hard and showing variations 

He is deceiving batsman by unintentional lack of pace. The kind of effort he puts, batsman expect pacy stuff but ball comes slower than expected.

2 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

I know there is silence due to Sakariya’s pace but he has some zip to his bowling. Good swing bowler and very intelligent in the Chahar/Bhuvi mould.

I didnt see a lot of his bowling , but does he really swing the ball as much as chahar or bhuvi ?? 

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Avesh seems to bowl from one leg, the reason his pace goes up and down so much.

Avesh used to bowl.a very heavy ball till 2019.

Seems to have lost that ability.

Also seems to be a bowler who won't be able to sustain pace for more than 4 overs or even 4 overs.

Edited by express bowling

4 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

not the same quality obviously but similar type of bowler. Yes he swings the ball. That’s his strength. 

Bhuvi has an exceptional seam position. I doubt Sakaria has that. 

Where have you seen Sakaria swing the ball with any consistency ?

Edited by express bowling

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Bhuvi has an exceptional seam position. I doubt Sakaria has that. 

Where have you seen Sakaria swing the ball with any consistency ?

I have only seen him for 2 games lol. Of course Bhuvi is in a different class all by himself and forget Bhuvi even Chahar is a league ahead.

However Sakariya isn’t a cutters/variation type bowler. He is a bowler who keeps in tight and nibbles the ball around enough. I can’t speak for consistency but that is the plan and that’s what he is going for and so far has done well.