IPL: Covid watch thread

ShoonyaSifar

Thing is IPL can go smoothly in smaller venues like Mohali,  Dharamsala Dehradun & heck even Lucknow..  But idiots in BCCI seems to be hell bent on staging it in metros where Covid is on a rampage.  They are playing with fire ATM..  Let's see if they pull it off or not. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Thing is IPL can go smoothly in smaller venues like Mohali,  Dharamsala Dehradun & heck even Lucknow..  But idiots in BCCI seems to be hell bent on staging it in metros where Covid is on a rampage.  They are playing with fire ATM..  Let's see if they pull it off or not. 

Mohali ..smoothly ? Punjab is under night curfew from 9 Pm to 5 AM. There are so many cases and deaths. Punjab hasn’t handled the second wave well at all. I work in Mohali. There are more than 600 cases daily and it’s not even that big..:wall:It’s mask all the way from car to work place and back BUT people are still roaming around without masks and spreading infection :facepalm:

1 hour ago, nitinbwj said:

Mohali ..smoothly ? Punjab is under night curfew from 9 Pm to 5 AM. There are so many cases and deaths. Punjab hasn’t handled the second wave well at all. I work in Mohali. There are more than 600 cases daily and it’s not even that big..:wall:It’s mask all the way from car to work place and back BUT people are still roaming around without masks and spreading infection :facepalm:

Still much better compared to what's happening in Maharashtra & other venues. 

I know people don't take social distancing seriously.  It is how it is man.   Much lower risk in Mohali than Mumbai. 

Good luck to them. They’ll need it.

What I can say is that football has continued unaffected in Europe all winter  with Covid going crazy across the continent, and their bubbles aren’t anywhere near as strict, so it’s possible

5 hours ago, Franco Vazquez said:

I would be really surprised if the tournament is not halted but with BCCI and IPL, I don’t think they care about human lives as much as money 

Millions of dollars riding on it. It ain’t PSL. BCCI will do everything to get this done. Ideally, this should have never happened in India. 

9 hours ago, YCCC said:

Good luck to them. They’ll need it.

What I can say is that football has continued unaffected in Europe all winter  with Covid going crazy across the continent, and their bubbles aren’t anywhere near as strict, so it’s possible

Football leagues run all year. Every team has at least 20 if not more back up players. They can postpone games. They can easily replace the infected player and then play them again once they recover. You can't expect that in IPL. If even one player gets COVID, the whole team in bubble gets affected and the matches have to be postponed as well which IPL cant afford as its already 2 months long.

BCCI should have reduced the number of venues. Travelling through airports is a risk. 

As per this article previous IPL edition in UAE monitored players closely and the players had to wear GPS enabled trackers which would go beep if the player breached the bubble. No such thing this time around.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ipl-2021-the-vulnerable-ipl-2021-bubble-1258278

2 hours ago, Mosher said:

BCCI should have reduced the number of venues. Travelling through airports is a risk. 

As per this article previous IPL edition in UAE monitored players closely and the players had to wear GPS enabled trackers which would go beep if the player breached the bubble. No such thing this time around.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ipl-2021-the-vulnerable-ipl-2021-bubble-1258278

Some scary points in this article. If these points, especially the groundsmen being allowed to go home and security checks at the airports are indeed true, then I don't see the tournament getting completed as per schedule. It does not remain a bubble if players in it are in touch with those not in the bubble

Teams will still need to undergo security checks at airports before boarding and after landing, which could entail coming in contact with a people outside the bubble.

On Wednesday, Padikkal travelled by road from his home in Bengaluru to Chennai, where his team is based, and even participated in training. Rival franchises have questioned the logic behind allowing Padikkal to join the Royal Challengers' training session without having to undergo the mandatory week-long quarantine and the testing process.

By the same token, franchises have asked why the IPL is not allowing senior franchise management or owners to be allowed, subject to them clearing the required tests.

It is understood that the governing bodies that manage the venues in Chennai and Delhi have vaccinated their groundsmen, who are allowed to commute back to their home after their work day, thus triggering the risk element.

1 hour ago, Bigg Brother said:

They might have tested him before letting him join the bubble with team. He was in quarantine with Rabada. And what about DeCock? He played yesterday. Wasnt he with them during Pakistan matches?

That was way around 10 days back. So should be fine. DeKock travelled separately to Chennai.

More details on Nortje's case. He hadn't joined the team and was still in quarantine 

Cricbuzz understands that South African pacer Anrich Nortje tested negative on arrival but later tested positive and negative thereafter. He's asymptomatic at the moment with results of a further test awaited today. Nortje has been in quarantine during these developments, and was to join the team bubble after the test results today.