Curious case of Shaheen Afridi - whither hype, thither reality.

Just now, sandeep said:

you are asking for comparisons - I don't believe in those - a cricketer should be judged on his personal performance and context.  And Shaheen's 43 test bowling average in ENG, NZ, AUS is pretty shambolic.  

It was a recommendation   which you didn't entertain. 

Just now, wc2023 said:

Pleas check number of matches he has played and his year of debut .

Sure, Shaheen has played 15 matches so far, when Rabada played his first 15 matches, he averaged  22.8.

The unambigous bottomline is this - Shaheen is massively overhyped relative to his actual performances, and is a sub-par test cricket bowler.  

4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Would you also want me to compare their astrological charts and what their parents fed them for breakfast? Where does the excuse factory stop?

Maybe Pakistani pace bowlers need to switch to vegetarian saatvic diets to improve their performances? 

First class cricket is place to develop players. Lagta hai neend puri nahin ki firstclass cricket ko kahan say kahan legae

Just now, wc2023 said:

First class cricket is place to develop players. Lagta hai neend puri nahin ki firstclass cricket ko kahan say kahan legae

Last I checked first class cricket didn't require other teams to tour pakistan, so what's the next excuse? why isn't Pakistan "developing" players in FC cricket? Endian Saazish?

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Sure, Shaheen has played 15 matches so far, when Rabada played his first 15 matches, he averaged  22.8.

The unambigous bottomline is this - Shaheen is massively overhyped relative to his actual performances, and is a sub-par test cricket bowler.  

Okay when Abbas played 15 matches his average was below 20 using your logic Abbas>> Rabada :phehe:

Just now, wc2023 said:

Okay when Abbas played 15 matches his average was below 20 using your logic Abbas>> Rabada :phehe:

Abbas is a quality bowler in certain types of conditions - no doubt about that.  The fact that he often bowls slower than Jadeja  makes him even more unique.  Credit to him for making the most of his capacity.  

However, we are talking about Shaheen Afridi here.  

Just now, sandeep said:

Last I checked first class cricket didn't require other teams to tour pakistan, so what's the next excuse? why isn't Pakistan "developing" players in FC cricket? Endian Saazish?

Bhai kehna kia charhe ho .Aap ke haan kia first class cricket ki kagga icf join krna prta hai?

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Abbas is a quality bowler in certain types of conditions - no doubt about that.  The fact that he often bowls slower than Jadeja  makes him even more unique.  Credit to him for making the most of his capacity.  

However, we are talking about Shaheen Afridi here.  

Bhai kyun confuse horhai ho aap hi to lae rabada ko agarkar ko sirraj ko 

1 minute ago, wc2023 said:

Bhai kehna kia charhe ho .Aap ke haan kia first class cricket ki kagga icf join krna prta hai?

I'm saying that if you sweep away the silly excuses, Shaheen Afridi is a mediocre test cricket bowler, who gets overhyped by "patriotic" fans.  

Just now, sandeep said:

I'm saying that if you sweep away the silly excuses, Shaheen Afridi is a mediocre test cricket bowler, who gets overhyped by "patriotic" fans.  

And my  point is you are judging him too early without having seen him bowling, without considering his support and not taking in to account catches droped

50 minutes ago, Dery said:

Compare him to ishaan porel, nagarkoti, Mavis, etc. What happened to them?

LMAO, what it has to do with Mavi, Porel and Nagarkoti? Just because they played same wc? It shows paucity of genuine pace bowlers in Pakistan that they had drafted Shaheen straight away after u-19 despite not proven first class record. He did good, he is just good, that's it. Porel, Nagarkoti and Mavi eventually will make it to Indian team, if not now then 2-3-5 yrs later, if not then it is because India will have better bowlers than them. 

That just shows the extreme poverty stricken state of Pak cricket when it comes to producing and managing int'l class fast bowlers...

India are currently not that unfortunate. Those three will have their time don't worry.

1 hour ago, Dery said:

More competition in a world class national team, if they played for a sub-par team with lack of selection options ,they too would have gotten to play dozens of games, with patriots making excuses for them.  

As such, they will only earn a national cap if they are worthy of it.  Some countries are forced to play suzuki mehran as their lead bowler, others have the luxury to pick from the likes of Boomrah, Shami, Ishant, Bhuvi, Siraj etc etc.  

Edited by sandeep
11 minutes ago, Dery said:

If guys like mavi, porel,etc were good as Afridi they would be playing ahead of thakur & natrajan in odis atleast 

Not necessarily - both of those 2 are highly rated prospects, but have had injury problems.  Indian selection has a very well-defined 'earning' process - unless a player's skillset matches a role that the national team has a gap in, they have to first perform in a domestic season, then the Irani/Duleep trophy, India "A" team etc.  I think both Mavi and Porel have great chance of eventually playing for India.  But its not going to be handed to them on a platter.