Is having Two IPl's in 6 months bit of an overkill?

Lone Wolf

36 minutes ago, Texan said:

I am actually enjoying the increased contest between bat and ball instead of mindless hitting. The pitches have kept the bowlers in the game and games interesting till the last over. 

I like that too, but so far, barring AB, not one batsman has shown the skill or tactics to succeed in later overs while chasing in these conditions. A NID chase makes fir boring viewing. 

5 hours ago, Vickydev said:

The pitches have ruined it for me. Was really looking forward to this year expecting the Indian players to play aggressive cricket with the recent series gone by and WC spot in mind. Instead its just slow and boring cricket.

What a shame.

In that case, why have bowlers. Just have the batsmen line up in front of ball machines and go pow pow..

3 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

In that case, why have bowlers. Just have the batsmen line up in front of ball machines and go pow pow..

Yeah if the bowling machines could replicate what the likes of Bumrah, Rashid, Boult do then why not...but they dont now do they?

And T20 is meant for good attacking cricket, there are other formats for testing a batsman's temperament. 

Wankhede is fine but Chennai matches have been horrible. If i wanted to see mediocre bowlers dominate batsman of the calibre of Kishan, Warner, Pandya, Russell etc i could watch the re-runs of PSL in UAE. 

1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

Yeah if the bowling machines could replicate what the likes of Bumrah, Rashid, Boult do then why not...but they dont now do they?

And T20 is meant for good attacking cricket, there are other formats for testing a batsman's temperament. 

Wankhede is fine but Chennai matches have been horrible. If i wanted to see mediocre bowlers dominate batsman of the calibre of Kishan, Warner, Pandya, Russell etc i could watch the re-runs of PSL in UAE. 

I agree that t20 is for good attacking cricket. But it should be a contest. Batsmen don’t need to be protected. The caliber of batting in the IPL , in part because of the names you mentioned, is a step above the PSL. 

6 hours ago, kirkutfan said:

That's harsh.

What is the IPL if not for its entertainment value? Its revenue model is based on how much moolah it can rake in from advertisers.

Consider a hypothetical scenario where two parallel IPLs are running, one with high scoring games and the other with 130 score type games. What do you think will draw larger viewership? 

The CSK chase the other day was the boring most episode I've seen in the IPL. Playing 2 overs and scoring 5 runs. People (at least me) want fast paced action.

We want an Abbas Mastan thriller, not a Satyajit Ray masterpiece where you can appreciate the finer nuances of cinema.

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

That's harsh.

What is the IPL if not for its entertainment value? Its revenue model is based on how much moolah it can rake in from advertisers.

Consider a hypothetical scenario where two parallel IPLs are running, one with high scoring games and the other with 130 score type games. What do you think will draw larger viewership? 

The CSK chase the other day was the boring most episode I've seen in the IPL. Playing 2 overs and scoring 5 runs. People (at least me) want fast paced action.

We want an Abbas Mastan thriller, not a Satyajit Ray masterpiece where you can appreciate the finer nuances of cinema.

I agree- no Satyajit Ray! And I don’t want to see a Pujara style vigil either.  But just a bit of a contest between bat and ball.  Yes, the CSK chase part was boring. But I was fine when Deepak Chahar swung that ball and knocked Mayank Agarwal’s stumps off in Punjab’s inning. And let’s be honest, who in CSK was going to bat in a way that really excites you? They would have put us to sleep on a dead wicket too. By contrast a Hardik Pandya or a Rishabh Pant  could smack the ball on a sporting wicket.