Gaikwad v Shaw

zen

1 hour ago, Global.Baba said:

IPL  is a domestic T20 competition  so you need a domestic basher and a flashy player at the top. I will have a problem if this version of Shaw plays in WTC or England but for IPL T20 don’t see too many batsmen more exciting than him.

His issue is fielding and fitness. Technical flaws don’t think it is that much worse than say Iyer, Mayank or Rahul (in tests). Anyways don’t see him putting any efforts on this, May be is we  don’t know what happens behind the scene but looking at him, don’t think he is. 

His issue can be exploited by just very few bowlers in world and the chances reduces in LOI cricket with flat pitches and obv those very bowler will also not get it right on few days. Now these days , most extreme flat conditions and many avg bowling attacks around the world will fall in his favour....on those days he can destroy teams. Many players can play well in such circumstances but shaw can be really damaging .....like in domestic case- attacks were same for every one but he scored at a different level.  

Also a lot of times such attacking batsman can put of bowlers n captain on backfoot immediately. 

He shud soon be in our LOI setup and the more he plays the better he ll get 

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

10 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gaikwad looked absolute crap in last few games when ball moved around. This is a damn flat wkt with no left armer in opposite side which has caused him his downfall

Ball moved around only in one low scoring game he played.

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Ball moved around only in one low scoring game he played.

It moved around in 2 games DC n PBKS and he was all over it. Against unadkat also he looked uncomfortable but that he has a issue against left armers. Ball has been doing a bit in intial overs in wankhade. 

As others have said there is a huge gulf in ability between the two. While current performance there may not be alot separating as per stats, Shaw will be massive player in the future

Gaikwad will be toyed by anybody that can move the ball. He has awful technique.

While Shaw has flaws, he will manage to smack a few and if the bowler errs they will be punished severely.

14 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

His issue can be exploited by just very few bowlers in world and the chances reduces in LOI cricket with flat pitches and obv those very bowler will also not get it right on few days. Now these days , most extreme flat conditions and many avg bowling attacks around the world will fall in his favour....on those days he can destroy teams. Many players can play well in such circumstances but shaw can be really damaging .....like in domestic case- attacks were same for every one but he scored at a different level.  

Also a lot of times such attacking batsman can put of bowlers n captain on backfoot immediately. 

He shud soon be in our LOI setup and the more he plays the better he ll get 

Liability in the field. Our fielding is already not that good, and Shaw is probably one of the worst.

I am a big fan as you can see by my posts but there are lot of genuine issues here.

Also at international level fitness and running between the wickets is where you turn the a 30 into a 100, don’t know if he can steal runs against international quality fielders either. We saw in Nzl, where fielders were throwing to his end and even easy 2 or 1 he was barely making it to the other end.

31 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Liability in the field. Our fielding is already not that good, and Shaw is probably one of the worst.

I am a big fan as you can see by my posts but there are lot of genuine issues here.

Also at international level fitness and running between the wickets is where you turn the a 30 into a 100, don’t know if he can steal runs against international quality fielders either. We saw in Nzl, where fielders were throwing to his end and even easy 2 or 1 he was barely making it to the other end.

Im not saying immediate but in next 6 months and obv they wont let him through now with new fitness test in with low fitness. About dropping catches wo sabko beemari hai , ground fielding well he shud be told to work on it in next few months if TM is looking at. 

Shaw has a much higher ceiling than Gaikwad if he comes good in the future.

Till now, he was going hard at almost every ball and this was landing him in trouble against canny bowlers.

But he is trying to adjust. Have seen some shots with flexible wrists in this IPL.

The day he develops an all round game with a bit more ability to pace his innings, he will be unstoppable.

We often forget that he is just 21 and is still learning his craft.

People called Pant a hack at age 20 / 21 ... but he is looking priceless at age 23. The same may happen with Shaw.

Edited by express bowling

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

Till now, he was going hard at almost every ball and this was landing him in trouble against canny bowlers.

But he is trying to adjust. Have seen some shots with flexible wrists in this IPL.

The day he develops an all round game with a bit more ability to pace his innings, he will be unstoppable.

People called Pant a hack at age 20 / 21 ... but he is looking priceless at age 23. The same may happen with Shaw.

More than tech issues I think his fielding, fitness, running between the wickets are a bigger concern. Pant never had issues with athleticism even when he looked a little bloated. His tech issues aren’t much of a deal breaker for me but his fitness and lethargy is.

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Completely agree. 

Both Shaw and Gill will be our two MVP'S in the future. 

As for Shaw, he has freakish hand eye coordination, with all these mentors around him he will surely identify his faults and its just a matter of time that he corrects them and starts winning matches for India. 

6 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

More than tech issues I think his fielding, fitness, running between the wickets are a bigger concern. Pant never had issues with athleticism even when he looked a little bloated. His tech issues aren’t much of a deal breaker for me but his fitness and lethargy is.

I did not talk about Shaw's technical issues.

I said that he will learn to pace his innings, which is missing at the moment.

Fitness can be worked upon.

Just now, express bowling said:

I did not talk about Shaw's technical issues.

I said that he will learn to pace his innings, which is missing at the moment.

Fitness can be worked upon.

sure. There is a difference between someone looking to get fit to take their game to the next level and someone who look out of place on the field running or fielding. It’s going to be a longer battle and not as simple as everyone is making out to be.

Mostly Everyone is on the same page with Shaw’s talent but the concern is people brushing off his athleticism as not a big deal.  He has to put in a lot of work more than say other aspirants vying for his spot at least. Talent will only get you that far.

Thread topic obviously not even a contest who is more valuable- that is Shaw

22 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Completely agree. 

Both Shaw and Gill will be our two MVP'S in the future. 

As for Shaw, he has freakish hand eye coordination, with all these mentors around him he will surely identify his faults and its just a matter of time that he corrects them and starts winning matches for India. 

I am waiting for the day when Gill and Shaw are both developed batsmen and playing together along with Pant, Kohli and Rohit in tests and ODIs.

2 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Well Shaw's running is well discussed , has enough attention given to KL's running. Just refuses to take 2 s  . Atrocious for a 27-28 yr old .

3 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Well Shaw's running is well discussed , has enough attention given to KL's running. Just refuses to take 2 s  . Atrocious for a 27-28 yr old .

never noticed this. Will watch closely next time. May be cosmetically speaking Rahul looks in much better shape than Shaw so maybe clouding our judgement when it comes to Rahul. Also not sure how much being a part time keeper eats into his fitness.