Gaikwad v Shaw

zen

On 4/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, zen said:

Both are good players in their way and may struggle if the ball moves around (like most Ind openers).

Pros for Gaikwad v Shaw: 

• better game sense 
  • better fielder (Shaw as a fielder would be in the lowest tier) 
  • can be more consistent when in form 

Pros for Shaw v Gaikwad:

• Better stroke player (but needs to be in his best form to be impactful) 
  • His good innings can be relatively more impactful for the team

If Padikkal, who is closer to Gaikwad in the way he plays his cricket, is added to the discussion:

• Pros: Left hander, good fielder, and can show a good game sense as well
  • Cons: SR can be on the lower side than both Gaikwad and Shaw

Who is likely to be more successful in the short to mid term for his franchise? 

Gill is better than both of them.

shaw is so short that in ODI and T20's , he can be bounced and he is kinda over powered by fast bowlers.

Rituraj also seems to be a bit weak physically and his Skills are not the Best. i would rate Padikkal and Gill better than him.

Shaw is too good but he does not play fast bouncers well. Mayank and GIll are better than him

Edited by vishalvirsingh

Gill has fallen way behind the pack now..  His casual approach to his game needs to change.  He might have technical issues but almost every batter has them. 

I think if Devdutt has a stellar IPl take him to England.  A tall left handed opener can do very well over there. 

28 minutes ago, zen said:

Gaiekwad 75 off 44 v SRH, appears to be getting into the grove 

He played really good today, but he didn't hit a single 6. Probably the first time someone has reached a 75,that too in 44 and not hit a maximum.

Team India is in a good place so much choice in terms of batting in T20s.

4 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Gill has fallen way behind the pack now..  His casual approach to his game needs to change.  He might have technical issues but almost every batter has them. 

I think if Devdutt has a stellar IPl take him to England.  A tall left handed opener can do very well over there. 

For test ?

3 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Very good player of spin. Plus a player who finds gaps without being too flashy with risky shots . A right candidate for future #4 in 50 overs .

Nah... We shud only keep in mind players who can explode or provide balance in someway. Yuvi , abdv kind of player shud be the template we shud be looking at if not may be someone who can add something extra to that lineup . Finding that quality player eont be easy but the idea shud be someone who has all gears. Going from open to middle can be a different ball game. Rahul did it well coz he had both power n range. 

On 4/27/2021 at 10:28 PM, vishalvirsingh said:

Gill is better than both of them.

shaw is so short that in ODI and T20's , he can be bounced and he is kinda over powered by fast bowlers.

Rituraj also seems to be a bit weak physically and his Skills are not the Best. i would rate Padikkal and Gill better than him.

Shaw is too good but he does not play fast bouncers well. Mayank and GIll are better than him

they all have their strength and weakness

1. Devdutt 
    Test- Nope
    LOI- looks most control in his game then others but needs to keep improving his aggresive game....he has gayle-yuvi kind of potential 
  2. Gill
    Test- better then others in test 
    LOI- needs to learn how to pace his innings better, develop aerial shots 
  3. Shaw- 
    test- Subcontinet he ll manage, overseas wud be a problem as of now
    LOI- can destroy avg and above avg attacks but high quality bowler will pose threat as of now
  4. Mayank- Dnt see any future for him
    Test- only home test if horses for courses in batsman is an idea
  5. Gaikwad- Lacks X factor so in long run will keep falling short of others . Test also a no, he struggles as much as other against moving ball 

Have to give credit to CSK for staying with Gaikwad when he was going thru the lean patch. He doesn’t have raw power but he is able to score fast with well timed stroke play. It sounds crazy, but it would be great if CSK got Kane Williamson in the next auction and have him open the innings with Gaikwad.  Gaikwad would learn a lot from a player like that. 

Good to see Shaw working his way back into form.

Gill seems confused. Playing for Morgan doesn’t help. But I hope he can salvage what is left of this tournament. Awesome player to watch when he gets going.

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

For test ?

Yes..  Tall openers have their own benefits.  This tall Pakistani opener Masood troubled English bowlers last time & they had to alter their lengths significantly to get him out.  Although it helped that his off stump game was little more compact than DDP but still..  Almost everyone has weakness there. 

Gill has huge chunk in his armory that he stands leg side of the ball & tries to use his hands & his front pad & bat has a huge gap in it..  Prone to inswing dismissals.  Plus he has had 4 poor home tests as well..  Which is pathetic as he was supposed to score at home &,  on the verge of being dropped from his IPl side.  I'd still play him at WTC final though & take a look at him.  Don't think Shaw will be playing test cricket anytime sooner

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Every batsman with that lazy elegance have been accused of this. Its just he hasnt come found his pacing in LOI. Thats it ... nothing else. Too much importance shudnt be given to ipl. 

I Don't think he will be given as much chances as Rohit was given as Talent pool now is much much vast compared to those times..  Even in England tests he was guilty of severe lapse of concentration on occasion on supposedly non seamer friendly pitches.  IPl performances always matter as it is right idea to judge a player based on how he handles pressure & quality bowling...  Which we don't  see in Indian domestic cricket. 

Yes..  Tall openers have their own benefits.  This tall Pakistani opener Masood troubled English bowlers last time & they had to alter their lengths significantly to get him out.  Although it helped that his off stump game was little more compact than DDP but still..  Almost everyone has weakness there. 

Maqsood is a lil tighter, DDP i dnt think even opens for karnataka....he bats in middle a lot of times

DDP is a prime LBW candidate in test 

Gill has huge chunk in his armory that he stands leg side of the ball & tries to use his hands & his front pad & bat has a huge gap in it..  Prone to inswing dismissals.  Plus he has had 4 poor home tests as well..  Which is pathetic as he was supposed to score at home &,  on the verge of being dropped from his IPl side.  I'd still play him at WTC final though & take a look at him.  Don't think Shaw will be playing test cricket anytime sooner

I have mentioned that before any caught that inswing issue, but also said only very few in world can exploit it very very very few 

everyone will have ups n down