IPL 2021 must be stopped and scrapped ....do the IPL organizers have no conscience ????

4 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Don't worry am not going anywhere.

Oh I know.

Youre trapped in a country where the coronavirus is wiping 1000s of people daily and running rampant.

As I said there is an incubation period with corona, so while you may be asymptomatic now, in most cases takes time for symptoms to appear.

Please keep safe and feel to let me know your yourself, your family and friends are all safe a month from now.

37 minutes ago, rangeelaraja said:

We called it out much before. 

Every international player feels extremely guilty of being spoilt silly in a country that is struggling to keep up with hospitalizing demand, yet some posters here continue to disgrace themselves, justifying this tamasha, calling it a "business".

Im just so sad that Ive had to take time to educate on here, an issue that most people in a developed country fully comprehend and understand.

I still cannot grasp the concept of there being a need for cricket.

In the country I live in, Australia, all sports were suspended. It was strict and it was swift. Im just staggered that the IPL CIRCUS rolls on for those clowns that are highly invested in it.

The irony is that only the western players are seeming to be doing better than the Indian players.

58 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

Oh I know.

Youre trapped in a country where the coronavirus is wiping 1000s of people daily and running rampant.

As I said there is an incubation period with corona, so while you may be asymptomatic now, in most cases takes time for symptoms to appear.

Please keep safe and feel to let me know your yourself, your family and friends are all safe a month from now.

Not sure about me catching corona buy you definitely caught some virus that has totally deranged you. 

3 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Not sure about me catching corona buy you definitely caught some virus that has totally deranged you. 

Look with the way the virus spreads and the high density of the Indian population amongst the middle and lower classes, its going to be a challenging time, nevertheless try and limit your movements in the general population, practice social distancing and make sure to always wash your hands and try and purchase a N95 mask if you can afford one.

Good luck, look forward to the seeing you in 2022. :thumbsup:

Edited by SRT100
16 hours ago, poi said:

Is the solution to shut down IPL? No. The solution is to shut down all transmission vectors(IPL ironically isn’t ), including complete lockdown and military enforced travel restriction, so pretty draconian measures that probably will not fly in a democratic country.

it will fly if daily infections reach 1 million and deaths reach 10k 

52 minutes ago, Vilander said:

it will fly if daily infections reach 1 million and deaths reach 10k 

In the US, at its peak, the daily infection was 300,000, but the US is 3 times as large with 3 times less population than India. So, India could easily reach 1 million new infection. Given that would completely overwhelm the healthcare and deathcare, if it has not already, the death rate could shoot up beyond just 1-3% to 5% and higher.  5% of 1 million is 50,000 dead.

8 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

When the nation state is paralyzed because of a pandemic, it is just not the govt's responsibility. Big business and citizenry has to pull up their socks.

All non-essential businesses have to be repurposed to the extent possible to fight the pandemic. These are the basics of disaster/crisis management. 

Ofcourse, people will be likely  safe in 5-star/ 7-star bubble - when 1 million times more per capita is expended to maintain that bubble than what a common man get. 

it also seems fair that so much is expended for a "massive" 300-400 odd people that are part of the IPL ecosystem/bubble when the nation is struggling for resources to save lives.

I am not surprised why we are left so behind as a nation state  and why a common  Indian citizen's life is considered so cheap. This happens  when the

" educated " have such a stinking entitled attitude. India can do without such an 'educated' class.

Let me attempt to answer your points here objectively, without the need to harp on education levels/ insensitivity/ sense of entitlement etc.

1) The BCCI coffers are mainly filled by the IPL. The BCCI is a global behemoth today because of the IPL money. Some 60+% of their yearly earnings are from the tournament. The BCCI has also contributed 51cr to the PM cares fund. Many players, including those foreigners plying their trade in the IPL have donated amounts from their earnings too. 

Do you think that the quantum of donation would be so large, had the BCCI been a fledgling cash strapped body like it was till the 90s? 

Yes the IPL may be an eyesore for you. It maybe morally repugnant, but surely you can see that a successful IPL does result in the ability to donate more. Would you rather the PM cares fund be 51 cr poorer?

2) I had listed in an earlier post the kind of 'resources' the teams take up.  How exactly is the IPL taking away from the fight against Covid?

3) Your statement in bold is actually a knee jerk emotional response to the situation. The sentiment I respect, the logic not so much.

The government *cannot* repurpose private/semi private enterprise. Either the parliament passes a bill that gives a green light to such drastic temporary legislation. Or the government has to declare an emergency on the grounds of health/internal emergency and then can proceed to dictate terms to private enterprise. In India neither of the two have happened. Neither seem to be on the horizon. Even if the IPL weren't conducted in India, there is nothing to indicate that the IPL franchises or the BCCI would redirect resources to fight Covid.

Honda has stopped converted their assembly lines to make oxygen tanks and cylinders. Of their own volition. Some pharmaceuticals have started manufacturing APIs that are used in the vaccines instead of their usual fare. These are as much business decisions as they are driven by the want to help. No one is going to buy a Honda car in the lockdown.

What is it that you want the BCCI to do here? Aside of donating money what can they realistically do? Do you want Kohli to conduct  RT PCRs door to door?

The arguement about hotel beds been taken up etc is not valid. Many hotels have decided to give their rooms away for quarantine purposes. Hotels have to stay afloat too. There is no dearth of those beds. The real dearth is of beds with doctors/medical staff around.

The covid situation is not hard only on the people who catch the virus and their families. It is hard economically on millions of others too. Many off whom are living off their savings. This is something you have simply failed to consider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've known @beetle on ICF for a better part of the last decade and she isn't the one to abuse. I may not agree with her choice of words, but her sentiment I echo. It is you, who has been calling us (resident Indians ie) insensitive/ stupid/ uneducated/entitled and what not. Whatever she said, which btw wasn't abusive in the least, was only in response.

Basically we, or at least me, am tired of the *constant* holier than thou attitude that many NRIs assume on every facet of life in India. My siblings also behave in the same manner.  And you've not even been subtle about it. 

That you know better is an assumption you are making. If you really do know better, educate us and tell us where we've gone wrong. A put down isn't necessary.

Edited by Mariyam
6 hours ago, SRT100 said:

This taken in Delhi.

spacer.png

Meanwhile nearby the IPL circus is being rolled out.

I feel sad when I hear crowd laughter and cheer with each wicket, 4, or  6.

Its heartbreaking.

The crowd is fake if that is any solace

3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I've known @beetle on ICF for a better part of the last decade and she isn't the one to abuse. I may not agree with her choice of words, but her sentiment I echo. It is you, who has been calling us (resident Indians ie) insensitive/ stupid/ uneducated/entitled and what not. Whatever she said, which btw wasn't abusive in the least, was only in response.

Basically we, or at least me, am tired of the *constant* holier than thou attitude that many NRIs assume on every facet of life in India. My siblings also behave in the same manner.  And you've not even been subtle about it. 

That you know better is an assumption you are making. If you really do know better, educate us and tell us where we've gone wrong. A put down isn't necessary.

Well said Mariyam, fully agree with you.

These NRI folk that revel in the nation's misery with their "holier than thou" attitude, the worst of it is on display here. 

Besharam people. Have some pride in your matrabhoomi.

Edited by EnterTheVoid
6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Let me attempt to answer your points here objectively, without the need to harp on education levels/ insensitivity/ sense of entitlement etc.

1) The BCCI coffers are mainly filled by the IPL. The BCCI is a global behemoth today because of the IPL money. Some 60+% of their yearly earnings are from the tournament. The BCCI has also contributed 51cr to the PM cares fund. Many players, including those foreigners plying their trade in the IPL have donated amounts from their earnings too. 

Do you think that the quantum of donation would be so large, had the BCCI been a fledgling cash strapped body like it was till the 90s? 

Yes the IPL may be an eyesore for you. It maybe morally repugnant, but surely you can see that a successful IPL does result in the ability to donate more. Would you rather the PM cares fund be 51 cr poorer?

2) I had listed in an earlier post the kind of 'resources' the teams take up.  How exactly is the IPL taking away from the fight against Covid?

3) Your statement in bold is actually a knee jerk emotional response to the situation. The sentiment I respect, the logic not so much.

The government *cannot* repurpose private/semi private enterprise. Either the parliament passes a bill that gives a green light to such drastic temporary legislation. Or the government has to declare an emergency on the grounds of health/internal emergency and then can proceed to dictate terms to private enterprise. In India neither of the two have happened. Neither seem to be on the horizon. Even if the IPL weren't conducted in India, there is nothing to indicate that the IPL franchises or the BCCI would redirect resources to fight Covid.

Honda has stopped converted their assembly lines to make oxygen tanks and cylinders. Of their own volition. Some pharmaceuticals have started manufacturing APIs that are used in the vaccines instead of their usual fare. These are as much business decisions as they are driven by the want to help. No one is going to buy a Honda car in the lockdown.

What is it that you want the BCCI to do here? Aside of donating money what can they realistically do? Do you want Kohli to conduct  RT PCRs door to door?

The arguement about hotel beds been taken up etc is not valid. Many hotels have decided to give their rooms away for quarantine purposes. Hotels have to stay afloat too. There is no dearth of those beds. The real dearth is of beds with doctors/medical staff around.

The covid situation is not hard only on the people who catch the virus and their families. It is hard economically on millions of others too. Many off whom are living off their savings. This is something you have simply failed to consider.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everybody appreciates what IPL has done for Indian cricket but at a time when 1000s in the country are dying undignified deaths in the country, IPL as an annual summer cricketing festival  is much more than morally repugnant. It is grotesque and in-your face. It takes only a little bit of sensitivity and respect for those dying miserably everyday to feel that way, may not be everybody's cup of tea. BCCI is not doing any favor by doing it's national duty of contributing. It gets state and national subsidies. Almost all major corporates have come out and made generous donations. 

Some posters here start questioning the nationality of those opposing IPL when the nation has been paralyzed like never before. Such idiocy is not appreciated. IPL is not some god's paradise, while IPL has helped Indian cricket, there is a lot to dislike about IPL as well.

IPL maybe the biggest league in cricket, but still very puny in absolute terms compared to dozens of  global leagues like NBA, NFL, EPL ..etc.

In none of these major global leagues is there a "bidding" on the players as part of team formulation. The nakedly shameless bidding & pricing on players as if they are not humans but seasonal commodities is disgraceful. You don't see this pathetic degradation of athletes in developed countries.

People like you very unfortunately sorely lack the ability to understand that one cannot put a price to human life, human dignity and  showing respect & compassion for those dying around you. It is the mindset of those who are privileged in a largely poor country or those who have not been hit with this in their immediate family. 

I would any-day be a patriotic NRI that contributes to nation building  than a resident "leech" that doesn't pay taxes honestly.

NRI contribution to nation building in India is immeasurable.

Just to educate you a little bit, it was the massively influential US based NRI caucus pressure largely that forced Biden administration to overturn it's decision to ban export of vaccine raw materials without which far more calamity would have befallen India.  

NRI's at 35-40 million population ( less than 3 % of India's population )  send 75-85 billion dollars worth remittances annually. This amount is almost 20 % of India's annual budget.  This amount offsets almost 40 % of India's annual trade deficit of $ 180B.

It is better to be a patriot outside, than a resident leech.

I regret this scrap. Lets end it.

Edited by rangeelaraja

Besides being the admin of millions of WA groups (get it on your CV champ, if you have one), the idiot has now become the spokesperson of tens of millions of NRIs.

"Pressure put by NRIs resulted in Biden administration revoking the ban!" That's the level of derangement and delusion.

Thankfully barring a handful, most NRIs are not as obnoxious even remotely as this joker.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Besides being the admin of millions of WA groups (get it on your CV champ, if you have one), the idiot has now become the spokesperson of tens of millions of NRIs.

"Pressure put by NRIs resulted in Biden administration revoking the ban!" That's the level of derangement and delusion.

Thankfully barring a handful, most NRIs are not as obnoxious even remotely as this joker.

A collective initiative of the US-India Business Council of the US Chambers of Commerce, and the US-India Strategic and Partnership Forum and Business Roundtable, the task force during its meeting here on Monday committed to getting 20,000 oxygen concentrators to India in the next few weeks, Deloitte CEO Puneet Renjen told PTI.

You know yourself well self shooniya sifar, zero, unda...a self proclaimed piece of s*t.  Lol.

Read this big fat duffer. You probably know nothing about the India caucus and their political donations to the democrats.  

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/world/ceos-of-40-us-companies-create-global-task-force-to-help-india-fight-covid-244891

And yeah..I am super proud of how many people I've helped.  

Edited by rangeelaraja