Jump to content
sandsaims

The Dhoni Syndrome

Recommended Posts

A lot of very aggressive batsmen suddenly want to play like Dhoni and end up losing games for their team just like Dhoni did the last 3 years of his career. Doesnt augur well for the Indian Team.  Maybe they feel its an easier way to keep their place safe in the team, score slow all the way through then score a couple of boundaries in the end to bring up their Sr but the team loses. Discuss.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe because of the pressure to be judged purely on "stats" v impact ... When you have  "experienced" players who play for stats, get praised for that and keep their spots for that those who play for impact begin to think about #s too ... Need a cultural change!

Edited by zen
Link to post
Share on other sites

When from the media to commentators to fans all praise consistency, average, taking singles after hitting a boundary, playing safe shots and not risky shots, then what else do you expect? When Iyer makes it to the team over players like Sky, when Rahul and Pant were criticized public when they tried to attack but are now praised and awarded for safe play, what do you expect?

 

The entire LOI culture and system is rotten. And like cancer the system gets handed over to the next generation. Stats padding, safe play, selfish batting by top order, thats being taught to the next generation

Edited by New guy
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, New guy said:

When from the media to commentators to fans all praise consistency, average, taking singles after hitting a boundary, playing safe shots and not risky shots, then what else do you expect? When Iyer makes it to the team over players like Sky, when Rahul and Pant were criticized public when they tried to attack but are now praised and awarded for safe play, what do you expect?

 

The entire LOI culture and system is rotten. And like cancer the system gets handed over to the next generation. Stats padding, safe play, selfish batting by top order, thats being taught to the next generation

Ye khyali pulao kahaan pakate ho bhai, Pant still plays fearlessly. Did the same in odis and tests and every one from TM to critics to commentators applauded him for that. That outrageous shot on Anderson was applauded by everyone. Kuch bhi boldo hain, sirf tum hi cricket dekhte ho kya? 

 

The reason why Pant was critcised earlier was that he wasn't getting the results. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Pollack said:

Pre 2015 wala Dhoni bhi 2015 wala hi tha.Dhoni changed his game as soon as he became captain..

No he didn't. From 2011 to 2014 he was the best odi batsman in the world and a better finisher than anyone in the history of odi cricket. 

Even before 2011 I remember how the duo of Yuvraj and Dhoni helped us win so many matches. I 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adamant said:

Ye khyali pulao kahaan pakate ho bhai, Pant still plays fearlessly. Did the same in odis and tests and every one from TM to critics to commentators applauded him for that. That outrageous shot on Anderson was applauded by everyone. Kuch bhi boldo hain, sirf tum hi cricket dekhte ho kya? 

 

The reason why Pant was critcised earlier was that he wasn't getting the results. 

We are specifically talking about LOIs where he changed his approach dn not tests. 

 

That short was applauded becuS we won and because he's already a hero from Australia  otherwise he would be dropped.

He WAS dropped after an amazing series in 2018 amd publicly criticized by captain and coach and it was only becuse of the 36 all out he as given a chance or his career would be over in all formats 

 

The only Khyali pulao is pretending anyone supported pant when he was dropped and criticized and was moments away from ending his career and got very very lucky 

Edited by New guy
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, New guy said:

We are specifically talking about LOIs where he changed his approach dn not tests. 

 

That sgprt was applauded becuS we won otherwise he would be dropped. He WAS dropped after an amazing series in 2018 amd publicly criticized by captain and coach and it was only becuse of the 36 all out he as given a chance or his career would be over in all formats 

 

The only Khali pulao is pretending anyone supported pant when he was dropped and criticized and was moments away from ending his career 

The fact is he never changed his approach in lois. LOL. Do you watch international cricket? He scored consecutive fifties at a great strike rate against eng in odis. 

 

He was dropped after two horrible series against nz and wi, which was not fair and i agree with you regarding that. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Adamant said:

No he didn't. From 2011 to 2014 he was the best odi batsman in the world and a better finisher than anyone in the history of odi cricket. 

Even before 2011 I remember how the duo of Yuvraj and Dhoni helped us win so many matches. I 

He was. He held his carefree game back as soon as he became captain. It was Raina or Yuvraj who played the aggressor role always. Dhoni started playing percentage cricket with yuvraj and Raina around. He was the best finisher no doubt but he wasn't the one taking the game one on. Infact he used to take the game deep many times unnecessarily. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...