Afridi: Cheerleaders not good for cricket

ludhianvi

Indian cheerleaders suck big time....first off our female cheerleaders are built like 12 yrs old teenagers..not so shaped up like their western counterparts....secondly we all knw wat else is wrong with our cheerleading squads

Guest HariSampath
How will the cheerleaders dress up in Pakistan? Hopefully not like this. fotoae8.jpg :D
In Pakistan...the cheerleader would probably be the one dressed in white :D

Storm in the cheering corner You can’t accuse the Indian media of not taking the IPL seriously. Today, CNN IBN has posed the million-dollar teaser: “Do cheerleaders degrade the game of cricket?” So outraged is the channel on behalf of its viewers that the question was illustrated by a close-up of a cheerleader’s cleavage. Clearly, a lot of people are working themselves into a lather. CNN IBN was persuaded to ask its viewers to vote on the issue by the indignation of the Maharashtra Bharatiya Janata Party, a right wing party who are arguing that cheerleaders are no better than “bar dancers”. To the best of my knowledge, bar dancers are paid by the boogy. Whatever you make of the cheerleaders who have become one of the more incongruous features of this competition, I have yet to see them venture into the crowd touting for 100-rupee notes to be shoved into their bosom. For the players, these wholesome apple-pie Americans are not a problem (and, hey, does that surprise you?). The day before the tournament started in Bangalore, Rahul Dravid could not stop smiling as he gave us his considered view of the ladies of the Washington Redskins, who had been hired by the Royal Challengers to lend something or other to the opening ceremony. “I’ve heard a lot about them as well,” he grinned. “I’m looking forward to seeing them. Someone earlier was saying it will be a veteran team with young cheerleaders. You’ve got to keep your eye on the ball. I’m going to tell the boys to stay focussed on the cricket ball.” Chuckles all round. By yesterday, the chuckles had been replaced by scowls. One journalist asked Shane Warne whether the cheerleaders were a distraction. “I don’t think the cheerleaders distract us,” he said with an admirably straight face. “We’re out here to play cricket. It’s part of the entertainment and that’s good. Young Jadeja [Ravindra Jadeja, sitting to Warne’s right] has been fielding in front of the cheerleaders on the fence and he enjoys it.” More chuckles. Frankly, if the journalists are looking for condemnation, they are asking the wrong people. It might also be that the media are simply trying to create outrage where none exists. My experience so far has been that some sections of the crowd, mainly families and older generations, appear completely indifferent to the dancers (although this could be interpreted as quiet condemnation) while others, mainly young men, love them. It is a split that might just say something more profound about India’s own development. In the States, cheerleaders are venerated as part of the sporting experience. In the UK, they are tolerated with faint embarrassment. When they’re performing in the north of England on a chilly night before a rugby league game, they even deserve our sympathy. But in India, they are unknown quantities and the unknown is always a threat. It will be instructive to see which way television viewers vote tonight.

Its probably not just me but I noticed Afridi couldnt even hide his erection in front of the Bangladeshi batsmen in the odi series (surrounded by beards, burqas and security officials). How exactly is he supposed to control this?

Considering the steamy and corny scenes that dominates bollywood, a bunch fo cheerleaders showing off their scantily clad bodies in quite high performance moves is hardly embarassing. I've never been one to be embarassed about sexuality around my parents- they were fully aware when i was dating girls in high school and what i was doing in my room with my girlfriend....IMO it should be that way because there is nothing especially hoo-haa about sex and repressing sexuality is far bigger psychological damage than giving it a free reign. Afterall, look at our country- it is the leading country in rape per capita in the world and leading country in women's rights abuse and sexual harassment....this is because of our backwardness in culture, where we for no reason ask our youths to restrain themselves from sexuality. On the other hand, the much more liberal west has far less case of female abuse and rape, because most people are getting laid and having fun. And the whole 'sexual laxity leads to AIDS and diseases' is absolutely false as well, for it is PRECISELY THE OPPOSITE...when you have relaxed sexuality, most people will sleep with 10-12 partners in their lifetime, often mostly in their friends/social circles, thus making small scale 'cells'. In our country, where its essentially 'you are evil if you have sex before marriage and sex outside marriage', we have thousands upon thousands of guys going to the local whores...because if they arn't satisfied, they can't just leave their girlfriend/boyfriend, as that would be immoral or impractical coz you only found out about sex and how good/bad your partner is AFTER marriage. Hence they go to hookers, with thousands upon thousands sleeping with one hooker and spreading infection...this is the prime reason why despite having FAR MORE uptight and sexually curtailed society, india is still FAR MORE PRONE to AIDS and prevalence of AIDS per capita and total is more than MOST liberated western nations..... So IMO, there is simply ZERO reason to have sexually uptight societies, where it just causes psychological damage and exposes a bulk of the population to STDs through the hookers phenomenon.

Today BJP & Shiv Sena MLA's raised slogans in the Maharashtra assembly saying they want the cheerleaders to be banned, since they are against Indian culture. This comes a day after they banned sex education in schools on the same grounds. I was never in favour of cheerleaders, but now I am all for them.

Today BJP & Shiv Sena MLA's raised slogans in the Maharashtra assembly saying they want the cheerleaders to be banned' date=' since they are against Indian culture. [b']This comes a day after they banned sex education in schools on the same grounds. I was never in favour of cheerleaders, but now I am all for them.
WTF ....

CC I agree with most of what you've said. But I just tried to get the 'rape per capita' stats on the net and found India are ranked 56th, even below USA, Germany and many other western countries. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita
I suspect that in India most of the cases will go un reported especially child abuse and cases in smaller towns and villages

Guest HariSampath
Considering the steamy and corny scenes that dominates bollywood, a bunch fo cheerleaders showing off their scantily clad bodies in quite high performance moves is hardly embarassing. I've never been one to be embarassed about sexuality around my parents- they were fully aware when i was dating girls in high school and what i was doing in my room with my girlfriend....IMO it should be that way because there is nothing especially hoo-haa about sex and repressing sexuality is far bigger psychological damage than giving it a free reign. Afterall, look at our country- it is the leading country in rape per capita in the world and leading country in women's rights abuse and sexual harassment....this is because of our backwardness in culture, where we for no reason ask our youths to restrain themselves from sexuality. On the other hand, the much more liberal west has far less case of female abuse and rape, because most people are getting laid and having fun. And the whole 'sexual laxity leads to AIDS and diseases' is absolutely false as well, for it is PRECISELY THE OPPOSITE...when you have relaxed sexuality, most people will sleep with 10-12 partners in their lifetime, often mostly in their friends/social circles, thus making small scale 'cells'. In our country, where its essentially 'you are evil if you have sex before marriage and sex outside marriage', we have thousands upon thousands of guys going to the local whores...because if they arn't satisfied, they can't just leave their girlfriend/boyfriend, as that would be immoral or impractical coz you only found out about sex and how good/bad your partner is AFTER marriage. Hence they go to hookers, with thousands upon thousands sleeping with one hooker and spreading infection...this is the prime reason why despite having FAR MORE uptight and sexually curtailed society, india is still FAR MORE PRONE to AIDS and prevalence of AIDS per capita and total is more than MOST liberated western nations..... So IMO, there is simply ZERO reason to have sexually uptight societies, where it just causes psychological damage and exposes a bulk of the population to STDs through the hookers phenomenon.
1. Why go into closed rooms for sex if you and your parents are equally comfortable about sex ?? Isnt it far more advanced and liberalised practice to keep the room open ? Or better still, what about the living room couch ? I am sure your parents wont disturb you and would walk around you to get to the fridge :hysterical: 2. So you want to put an end to the profession of prostitution ? It is the world's oldest profession...how liberal are these views ???!!!! Incidentally, the cheerleaders show can hardly be compared to the AIDS/prostitution connection...here it is a question of many ppl feeling that cheerleading is out of place in a cricket match. First define what "morality" and "repression" means to you, and also define concrete parameters with evidence that "sexually liberated" societies are the beacons of a "moral society" in whichever way you define it. ( The only part of your post that makes some sense is that there are far worse scenes in bollywood movies and to object to cheerleading while ignoring these is stupid)

As expected :D Top political agenda: ban IPL cheerleaders New Delhi: To cheer or not to cheer — that's the big debate Maharashtra's politicians are grappling with. The state government has put restrictions, and may even consider a ban on cheerleaders performing in stadiums where Indian Premiere League matches are being held. All this after Opposition MLAs had created a hue and cry over the cheerleaders saying they degraded Indian culture.