IPL 2021 suspended

Franco Vazquez

2 hours ago, cricketfan28 said:

Looks like its over .

Doubt it.  BCCI will cover up further outbreaks and as long as there are enough players to field a side the show goes on.  I don’t agree with it, but it will be the most Indian thing ever.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ipl-2021-amid-covid-19-concerns-ipl-may-shift-entirely-to-mumbai-1262252

Relocating the IPL to Mumbai has emerged as a serious option for the BCCI as it looks to minimise the risks after several Covid-19 related cases were reported from both the venues currently hosting the tournament. If things go to plan, Mumbai could be hosting matches as early as the coming weekend.

This will necessitate a rejigged tournament schedule, with multiple doubleheaders. There is also a likelihood of the IPL final being moved from May 30 to early June.

15 hours ago, GeeGaw said:

Doubt it.  BCCI will cover up further outbreaks and as long as there are enough players to field a side the show goes on.  I don’t agree with it, but it will be the most Indian thing ever.

I wouldn’t put it past them but will the foreign team staff & players go along?

5 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Yeah they are earning in millions. Lallu punjus like benchwarmers might leave but dont see the big names leaving unless there is some serious incident.

when the cases started mounting they should have tried moving it to areas where the cases are low/not much while simultaneously not allowing it to go on for over a month like usual. whether those areas have the infrastructure to support so many teams and the other staff needed is another matter though. I'm talking places like Dharamshala, Guwahati, Vizag etc. Large metros are obviously going to be badly beset.

10 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

when the cases started mounting they should have tried moving it to areas where the cases are low/not much while simultaneously not allowing it to go on for over a month like usual. whether those areas have the infrastructure to support so many teams and the other staff needed is another matter though. I'm talking places like Dharamshala, Guwahati, Vizag etc. Large metros are obviously going to be badly beset.

The could have had more double headers. 

26 minutes ago, IndianRenegade said:

Problem is that many countries like Australia have closed all flights from India and they are not making exceptions for players. So the players have no where to go even of they wanted to 

Edited by New guy

25 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Isn't Mumbai seeiong higher count as well. Isn't Maharsahtra the most affected state due to COVID.

Mumbai has the lowest number of daily cases now among all Metros  and the number of cases are declining very sharply. 2600 daily cases compared to 18 k in Delhi and 22 k in Bangalore. Vaccination is in full swing and situation continues to improve  , plus Mumbai has 3 venues to organize matches . Wankhede was already in use , now Braboune and DY Patil stadium have to be made match ready for hosting 2 matches per day. 

Edited by rageaddict