ANNOUNCED: Indian squad for the WTC final and five match Test series against England

5 hours ago, Adamant said:

In English conditions Shami is way inferior to someone like Ishant 

The thing is English conditions don't remain similar throughout the season. We are going to play three test matches end of Aug and beyond. The ball has fair chance of reversing as  pitch  gets drier and Shami is a very lethal bowler when that happens. Yes if it is all swinging then Shami might find it difficult to control the ball but typically late August and September in England is a good time for reverse swing and spinners.

Shaws issue was not batting. Its his attitude in field. Lack a daisical. Thats what hampered his selection.. he looked uninterested in the field.. was not throwing himself around.. many cricketers were always in scheme of things because of their fielding. I remember in 2018 jadeja was not even being considered for loi.. then he came back and was chosen for wc2019. You know the reason he was picked..because BCCI wanted a substitute fielder who ll field for 5-7 overs in matches when a bowler or batsman is resting during fielding or is injured and no better choice than Jadeja.. and look what happened.. Rahane is sticking around only because he is an excellent slip fielder against spin and pretty good against pace.. the optics are very important..so Shaw needs to hire a conditioning and fielding coach and go all out to be one of the best fielders.. if Sidhu can become Jonty Singh ( he hired a whole team to improve his fielding in his farmhouse) Shaw at 21 can become a very good fielder..

2 hours ago, ind_hyd1 said:

Not able to fathom Navdeep Saini's exclusion 

Good for both Saini and Kuldeep not to be in a dressing room where the TM had lost faith in them. They can go back to their coaches now and work on their technical issues. Both have plenty of international cricket left in them

42 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Good for both Saini and Kuldeep not to be in a dressing room where the TM had lost faith in them. They can go back to their coaches now and work on their technical issues. Both have plenty of international cricket left in them

I fear for Saini as he is one dimensional. Back of length or full. No seam or swing. You need at least one to survive. He also fails to ball in channel and is haywire at times..

5 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Gill should try not to get LBW at any cost..  Get Caught behind driving I don't mind.  He stays leg side & has big gap between bat n pad.  Anderson might own him in England but he should try to go for his shots & score a few.  He ain't lasting long otherwise. 

Gill will find it tough to get going in England. He plays away from the body and is dependent on his leg slide flick. Both these options are recipee for failure as with Anderson broad master in both outswing and in swing he is going to either nick off or be lbw. He has to counter it by playing outside the crease and trying to judge the line of the ball. Length is very crucial in Australia whereas line is crucial in england as ball will invariably swing at the last moment. You cannot decide whether the ball will swing just by seeing the length or where it pitches. You NEED TO COVER THE LINE which Kohli did well in 2018. 

9 minutes ago, neel roy said:

I fear for Saini as he is one dimensional. Back of length or full. No seam or swing. You need at least one to survive. He also fails to ball in channel and is haywire at times..

Seam at speed was his strength in FC cricket. Hopefully he goes back to that mode 

12 minutes ago, sandeep said:

You are the one writing off a player as "not clutch", which the facts do not support.

Can you provide the fact where Hardik has played more clutch knocks in test format than Sundar has. Hardik isn't a quality test match player. In fact he isn't even in the squad.

Sundar one clutch knock where he helped draw test and one knock which helped us win the test. Moreover, Sundar is just 21. He has played better knocks in 4  tests than Pandya in 11 tests.

Edited by Straight Drive
4 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Can you provide the fact where Hardik has played more clutch knocks in test format than Sundar has. Hardik isn't a quality test match player. In fact he isn't even in the squad.

Hardik to be fair has few good knocks. His bowling against england in the win plus battinh, his batting in south africa first test which we should have won..

3 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Hardik to be fair has few good knocks. His bowling against england in the win plus battinh, his batting in south africa first test which we should have won..

Which knocks he played that he has helped us draw or win the test ? And in how many tests as in comparison with Sundar.

We lost the SA test. Didn't we. Would have, should have doesn't counts.

Edited by Straight Drive
46 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Gill will find it tough to get going in England. He plays away from the body and is dependent on his leg slide flick. Both these options are recipee for failure as with Anderson broad master in both outswing and in swing he is going to either nick off or be lbw. He has to counter it by playing outside the crease and trying to judge the line of the ball. Length is very crucial in Australia whereas line is crucial in england as ball will invariably swing at the last moment. You cannot decide whether the ball will swing just by seeing the length or where it pitches. You NEED TO COVER THE LINE which Kohli did well in 2018. 

I agree Anderson worked him out nicely in India Where there was not much help.  In Australia It helped that extra bounce made his life a bit easy & he was able work with his high backlift. It will help him in South Africa as well.  He does has a loose technique when you pitch it up.  I don't have much hope from him but I do hope he does better than Vijay Rahul & Shikhar in 2018. Cute 20's 30's can also work. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
7 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Which knocks he played that he has helped us draw or win the test ? And in how many tests as in comparison with Sundar.

We lost the SA test. Didn't we. Would have, should have doesn't counts.

We won the England test. We won the srilanka test where he scored a century and took wickets

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sl-v-ind-2017-1109590/sri-lanka-vs-india-3rd-test-1109604/live-cricket-score

4 minutes ago, neel roy said:

We won the England test. We won the srilanka test where he scored a century and took wickets

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/sl-v-ind-2017-1109590/sri-lanka-vs-india-3rd-test-1109604/live-cricket-score

So Pandya has two knocks; one against England and one against Sri Lanka.

Sundar has two against Australia in Australia and he has not even played half the tests Pandya has played.

The ability to score more good knocks in less tests is very important. Higher percentile success is more important at this level.

10 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I agree Anderson worked him out nicely in India Where there was not much help.  In Australia It helped that extra bounce made his life a bit easy & he was able work with his high backlift. It will help him in South Africa as well.  He does has a loose technique when you pitch it up.  I don't have much hope from him but I do hope he does better than Vijay Rahul & Shikhar in 2018. Cute 20's 30's can also work. 

Gill has age on his side. There is a scope of improvement from learnings in his short teat career this far. Hope the T20 format does not spoils his game as it has done to many batsmen. I particularly like the way he plays the short ball. More often than not he is right on money playing that length.

17 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

So Pandya has two knocks; one against England and one against Sri Lanka.

Sundar has two against Australia in Australia and he has not even played half the tests Pandya has played.

The ability to score more good knocks in less tests is very important. Higher percentile success is more important at this level.

Sundar debuted in the last match in Australia.

On 5/7/2021 at 6:09 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

E0ySEyCVUAI9kry?format=jpg&name=large

Axar in England when jaddu is already in team. In England either jaddu or Ashwin or Washington or 2 of them will get to play.

Jaddu and Washington are good batsman too so they could even play together.

Prasidh should have been in the team and not reserves.

Nagwaswalla is not Nattu...nattu has the capability to go upto 139k and some serious Skills with the ball. I trust he was not picked because he is unfit.

My reading is that even Prasidh and avesh can be picked ahead of Umesh yadav even when they are in reserves.

Avesh played in delhi 11 ahead of Umesh indicates he is in full form.

I think this nagwaswalla is a left arm Trundler. Possibly khaleel could have been picked in reserves ahead of nagwaswalla.

Saini should have also flown. He is a 140 to 150 k bowler and if he gets his mojo back at any stage, he can play in 11.

Batting selections are good.

Nagwaswalla seems to be picked just to give practice to batsman, I don't think he is as good as nattu. I would have picked khaleel in reserves and Prasidh in main team.

Axar makes no sense. I see Ravi kisan legspinner as real talent for Tests. If they wanted a genuine spinner for England ..Ravi kisan under 19 prodigy made sense.

With jaddu Ashwin sundar ahead axar won't play and is a straight back up. Picking an extra pacer in main team was better ...I don't see axar playing 

48 minutes ago, neel roy said:

Sundar debuted in the last match in Australia.

Okay, I got it wrong.

4th Test at Brisbane -  (India won the test)
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-in-australia-2020-21-1223867/australia-vs-india-4th-test-1223872/full-scorecard

62 runs in 1st innings when 6 batsmen above him had scored 174 runs. That parrtnership with Thakur was crucial to post a respectable total.

In 2nd innings he scored 22 runs in 41 balls which was also a clutch knock under pressure contributing to a win by chasing 328 runs at Brisbane which has been a historic fortress for Aussies. If he had got out we were left with Saini, Siraj and Natrajan.

4th test in Ahmedabad -  (India won the test)
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/england-tour-of-india-2020-21-1243364/india-vs-england-4th-test-1243387/full-scorecard

In 1st innings Sundar scored 96 runs. Helped India post 365 and take significant first innings lead of 160. The lead was too much which helped India win by an innings and 25 runs.

In a short test career , he already has three fities. Two fifties were important in winning tests. The 22 odd was also played under pressure of Day 5 chase at fortress ground of Australia, with those following him not having reputation to hold on the bat in such scenarios. His batting is high percentile success. More quality knocks in less tests is a very good sign, especailly when such performances come during very early phase of test career that too at the age of 21. The high percentile successful batting performance is there , the confidence that brings, the ability to withstand highest level of pressure and the temperament are very impressive qualities.

Edited by Straight Drive