Jump to content
Austin 3:!6

Virat Kohli admits Wasim Akram as the bowler from past who could have troubled him

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

Getting dropped often goes hand in hand with good form. Similar poor form often coincides with getting unplayable deliveries/poor umpiring decisions/excellent fielding off your batting. Using your criteria, many of crickets great feats would never have been achieved e.g. Sehwag triple century in Pakistan, Steven Smith's golden series vs Australia in 2014, Ricky Ponting's knock vs India in WC 2003

 

Never denied that those were good knocks,but using them solely as a proof of his ability to play swing,then you have to point them out.He's failed more time vs swing than succeeded

 

When did Steve Smith play Australia in 2014?

Link to post
1 hour ago, Lord said:

 

Never denied that those were good knocks,but using them solely as a proof of his ability to play swing,then you have to point them out.He's failed more time vs swing than succeeded

 

When did Steve Smith play Australia in 2014?

Who hasn't? 

Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lord said:

 

Never denied that those were good knocks,but using them solely as a proof of his ability to play swing,then you have to point them out.He's failed more time vs swing than succeeded

 

When did Steve Smith play Australia in 2014?

Ie us vs Australia.

 

He failed during his formative years. I’ve seen ABDV struggle vs Tait/Akhtar in his formative years only to stand up to Mitch Johnson on his deadliest form. Also most good batsmen fail in bowlers friendly conditions more often than they succeed and hence the achievement is so rated and 180-220 can form winning scores. Where are you heading with this? 

Edited by mancalledsting
Link to post
1 minute ago, mancalledsting said:

Ie us vs Australia.

 

He failed during his formative years. I’ve seen ABDV struggle vs Tait/Akhtar in his formative years only to stand up to Mitch Johnson on his deadliest form. Where are you heading with this? 

 

Last NZ tour was formative years of Kohli?

Link to post
Posted (edited)

Kohli is still riding on that freakish 2016-18 when he was indeed the best batsman on the planet.  His performances have started to drop & now he is sliding fast.   Last two IPl's have exposed his game against spin. 

He has a chance though to get to top..  If he fires this Summer in England. 

Currently he is not the best batsman on the planet in any format...  As simple as that

Edited by Lone Wolf
Link to post
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Are you for real? Gill perhaps has had among the best test debut series by any player visiting Australia playing against such high quality attack. He in fact had one failure, each of the other innings were gems in the context of the series.

 

His 45 at MCG after Mayank had got out for 0 in the very first over, immediately after the 36 all out disaster, was in a sense a series turner. A young Indian batsman coming out and pulling, cutting and driving the Aussie pacers and taking them head on

Sure, I should not have talked about Gill in my post as that was not my point. I take my words back on Gill. 

I was trying to answer a comment from another poster about Rohit Sharma.

Edited by sarcastic
Link to post
2 minutes ago, mancalledsting said:

I hope you do realise that not playing well in every instance of swinging conditions doesn't necessarily make you a poor player of swing. Seems to be the overriding consideration you lacking here. 

 

how many times has he failed and how many times he succeeded

 

lets do the numbers

Link to post

2016-18 Kohli would have done just fine against any of the past ATGs, even dominated many of them. This version of Kohli, not so much. Hope this isn't the end, would love to see a resurgent Kohli like SRT of 2007-10.  Relieve him of captaincy in T20s/ODIs ASAP.

Link to post
8 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Kohli is still riding on that freakish 2016-18 when he was indeed the best batsman on the planet.  His performances have started to drop & now he is sliding fast.   Last two IPl's have exposed his game against spin. 

He has a chance though to get to top..  If he fires this Summer in England. 

Currently he is not the best batsman on the planet in any format...  As simple as that

Planet? He isn't the best batsman in his own team.

 

Pant

Gill

puji is ahead

 

 

Hell kuli could never help India draw the game vs Australia like vihari in Sydney. 

Link to post
12 hours ago, Jay said:

Planet? He isn't the best batsman in his own team.

 

Pant

Gill

puji is ahead

 

 

Hell kuli could never help India draw the game vs Australia like vihari in Sydney. 

Even Sachin wasn't able to do that. 

Link to post
On 5/31/2021 at 6:25 PM, Lord said:

Kohli would have been just a normal batsman in the 90s'

 

Rohit wouldn't have had a career

 

 

I think most super players of any era would be super players in other eras too.

 

This is because ... one becomes a super player when tremendous will to succceed combines with special talent. 

 

If Kohli and Rohit played in the 1990s then they would not have picked up bad habits from T20s and would be much better players of swing as they would get to play County cricket in their formative years. Applies to all batters of today. 

 

 

Link to post
5 minutes ago, express bowling said:

 

 

I think most super players of any era would be super players in other eras too.

 

This is because ... one becomes a super player when tremendous will to succceed combines with special talent. 

 

If Kohli and Rohit played in the 1990s then they would not have picked up bad habits from T20s and would be much better players of swing as they would get to play County cricket in their formative years. Applies to all batters of today. 

 

 

Kohli would have been good then too,but thing is cricket coverage these has gone next level if you compare it with past

There were still quite a few bowlers and fielders  who tampered with ball,some chucking instances ,no neutral umpires all that forms into a conducive bowling ecology and that would have reduced his impact which he has made in this era,it applies to all current greats of the game

Link to post
On 6/5/2021 at 12:30 AM, Gollum said:

2016-18 Kohli would have done just fine against any of the past ATGs, even dominated many of them. This version of Kohli, not so much. Hope this isn't the end, would love to see a resurgent Kohli like SRT of 2007-10.  Relieve him of captaincy in T20s/ODIs ASAP.

 

Peak Kohli still had that off stump awareness problem, McGrath just needs that one ball to hold it's line to get his wicket.

 

Kohli would have done well against Wasim and Waqar because they were more lethal with the old ball than the new ball.

Link to post
On 6/9/2021 at 4:54 PM, MechEng said:

 

Peak Kohli still had that off stump awareness problem, McGrath just needs that one ball to hold it's line to get his wicket.

 

Kohli would have done well against Wasim and Waqar because they were more lethal with the old ball than the new ball.

Only a power player with left-hand ability can conquer McGrath. Pant. You have to take him on otherwise he will nail you. 

Link to post
7 hours ago, Jay said:

Only a power player with left-hand ability can conquer McGrath. Pant. You have to take him on otherwise he will nail you. 

 

No batsman has ever conquered McGrath, I'd say that someone like Graham Gooch looked comfortable against Malcolm Marshall on occassions but no one looked comfortable against McGrath on a consistent basis except for some odd innings from batsmen like Laxman scoring 167 or Lara in that 1999 test series.

Edited by MechEng
Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...