zen

Which is your favorite Indiana Jones?   

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

• Raiders (1)
    • Temple (2)
    • Crusade (3)
    • Skull (4)

Crusade. It was a movie I watched over and over as a child. Great storyline, brilliant chemistry between Ford and Connery, I liked the young Indiana Jones segment as well, the love interest was beautiful and the action set pieces were the best in the series.

Doom is probably the worst. Not only was the story less grand,  it was lazy in portraying Sinhalese Sri Lankans as North/Central Indians. That scene where they are eating snakes and monkey brain still rubs me up the wrong way. India is the most vegetarian country in the world. The most memorable thing about it was Amrish Puri's theatrical performance.

After binge watching the first 3, I plan to watch Skull in its new 4k transfer soon. Skull takes place in 1950s, focusing on the Comrades. No more Nazis elements as Spielberg probably could not see them as funny villains after making Schindler’s List 

Now if Spielberg would have made Schindler’s List before Raiders, which many consider to be his best film, who knows Raiders may not have been made or at least not like we enjoy it today 

Indy 5 (directed by Mangold) is likely to focus on the 1960s with some flashbacks to the Nazis (Ford probably made to look young digitally) 

Edited by zen

2 hours ago, Ranvir said:

That scene where they are eating snakes and monkey brain still rubs me up the wrong way. India is the most vegetarian country in the world.

As a vegetarian, I do not like watching the scene but I have nothing against the film for showing that (movies are not realistic anyways esp. a series like Indy where logic is kept aside)

One element of many Indian audiences is that they have a lot of baggage. For a film called Padmavat some ppl were doing riots. When Egyptians are shown as underdeveloped or whatever in Raiders, it is ok and they will enjoy it but Temple, they will not for Ind. If Muslims are shown as terrorist in various Hollywood films, it is ok. If Hindus are shown as villains, the film is bad

41 minutes ago, zen said:

As a vegetarian, I do not like watching the scene but I have nothing against the film for showing that (movies are not realistic anyways esp. a series like Indy where logic is kept aside)

One element of many Indian audiences is that they have a lot of baggage. For a film called Padmavat some ppl were doing riots. When Egyptians are shown as underdeveloped or whatever in Raiders, it is ok and they will enjoy it but Temple, they will not for Ind. If Muslims are shown as terrorist in various Hollywood films, it is ok. If Hindus are shown as villains, the film is bad

That movie was banned in India for theatrical release for a reason. It is one thing to show Indians as villains, but a different thing to show them as weird snake and monkey brain eating weirdos. That’s not the worst part, that white leading lady smearing perfume on Indians because she feels they are smelling bad is racist. Will Hollywood get by showing Chinese and Koreans as dog/cat eating weirdos? It was wrong in so many levels. Stop defending racism in the garb of  movies. This is normalization of racism.

Kali maa is a revered shakti peeth goddess, to show the devotees as a human sacrificing cult is bad enough, this is how the brits demonized the thugee tribals as a weird tree worshiping cult to kill them and occupy their land. Bad racist movie.

Edited by coffee_rules

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

That movie was banned in India for theatrical release for a reason. It is one thing to show Indians as villains, but a different thing to show them as weird snake and monkey brain eating weirdos. . Will Hollywood get by showing Chinese and Koreans as dog/cat eating weirdos? It was wrong in so many levels. Stop defending racism in the garb of  movies. This is normalization of racism.

Laughable ... Hollywood has dealt with cannibalism as well 

That’s not the worst part, that white leading lady smearing perfume on Indians because she feels they are smelling bad is racist

Inaccurate ... the lady showers perfume on an elephant ... If the location was Arabian desert, she would have done that to a camel (and in good humor)

5 minutes ago, zen said:

Laughable ... Hollywood has dealt with cannibalism as well 

Inaccurate ... the lady showers perfume on an elephant ... If the location was Arabian desert, she would have done that to a camel (and in good humor)

Just before the monkey brain eating scene in the dinner,  she smears perfume on a fat Indian prince. Watch it

5 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Just before the monkey brain eating scene in the dinner,  she smears perfume on a fat Indian prince. Watch it

As a vegetarian, I skip such sequences (any such segment in any film including in Padmavat where Khilji is shown to be eating weird stuff) ... Even if she does smears perfume, it is not an issue for me as for me as she is doing it to an individual (whether Indian or whoever).  She was even shown smelling her own clothes when on the elephant and sprinkling perfume on herself 

1 hour ago, zen said:

I'm not a vegetarian and I didn't mind them showing the villagers as poor but the way the eating habits of Indians were portrayed were too much.

First of all the villagers offer Jones some disgusting looking dish on a leaf when he arrives. The banquet scene just portrayed Indians as savages, even the rich ones.

Even in Octopussy the main 'Indian' bad guy (a white man carrying out brownface) also ate a goat's eye.

You can bet your bottom dollar Spielberg would have cried anti semitism if Jews were portrayed in a such a negative manner.

The most disappointing thing is that George Lucas who created Indiana Jones and wrote the story borrowed so much from Hinduism and Buddhism for Star Wars.

18 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

I'm not a vegetarian and I didn't mind them showing the villagers as poor but the way the eating habits of Indians were portrayed were too much.

First of all the villagers offer Jones some disgusting looking dish on a leaf when he arrives. The banquet scene just portrayed Indians as savages, even the rich ones.

Even in Octopussy the main 'Indian' bad guy (a white man carrying out brownface) also ate a goat's eye.

You can bet your bottom dollar Spielberg would have cried anti semitism if Jews were portrayed in a such a negative manner.

The most disappointing thing is that George Lucas who created Indiana Jones and wrote the story borrowed so much from Hinduism and Buddhism for Star Wars.

I do not see any malicious intent. Much like how Bollywood films show Sardars for comedy, the example of Padmavat where Khilji is shown as barbaric, and so on ... Below how a South Indian is portrayed in a song: 

I do not see the above as malicious intent ... maybe even an attempt to recreate Mehmood comedy song below: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILgrhR9rjyM

We can't be so fragile to be complaining about such stuff accepting x but not y ( laughing if for e.g. Arabs were to be shown in certain ways and claiming something else for Ind) ... Hollywood has used jew stereotypes as well (many film industries have had various stereotypes in the past) ...  Threads like this focus on the films and not on such unnecessary topics 

Edited by zen

Just finished Skull … the ants scene made me itchy 

Overall the transfers of 4 films are a nice upgrade over the previous ones (blu ray), may not be reference like a  4K UHD of Tenet but the films look very good. This is a nice gift for Indy fans! 

18 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Why do you call it a rip off?? :(( 

Bollywood bettered an average Hollywood flick. 

Also the Hollywood movie didn't have catchy music. That's a cardinal sin right there.

Its not very different from the advent of Islam. Our prophet was is the seal of prophets. He revealed the final message which was a bettered amalgamation of all earlier messages. :dance:

Its like an I phone 12 vs I phone 1 comparison tbh. 

Point taken. Adapted to Indian tastes, not rip off. 

6 hours ago, nevada said:

Point taken. Adapted to Indian tastes, not rip off. 

Why, is there a dearth of Indian stories? certainly shows how lazy these makers are! They are mere knock-off makers, adaptation/inspiration is just glorification and normalization of their hack jobs. coat tailing lazy bums

IMO, Temple has the best ending in terms of action sequences (its last hour is basically nonstop action) ... Other films have supernatural elements attached to the ending ... Particularly interesting is the score by John Williams esp. below:

Indy 5 shooting news - Fire works at Bamburgh Castle 

7152bb73cc07803c9f9f9c9899ecfaa4

On my last trip to Germany, I recall driving to Bamburg so was confused with the spelling but now realize that this is Bamburgh Castle in UK 

Harrison Ford Reveals His Reason for Returning to Indiana Jones 5

In a recent profile on the film in Empire Magazine, Ford spoke about the upcoming film and said that his motivation for returning to the franchise was more about seeing where a character like Indiana Jones would be at the “end of his journey.”

“I just thought it would be nice to see one where Indiana Jones was at the end of his journey,” Ford said. “If a script came along that I felt gave me a way to extend the character.”

I hope that the film does not have a "sad" ending.