Jump to content
sarcastic

Have pujara, kohli, rahane REALLY replaced dravid, sachin and vvs

Recommended Posts

On 6/22/2021 at 2:52 AM, mishra said:

When players like Sachin Dravid SMG joined, they were one of the best in their team. despite other greats around. Kohli was nowhere close to even Gambo for most part of his career till all those greats including VVS retired.

 

We have made a terrible mistake by iving him so much adulation, because now, he has made a team of ordinary and continues effing talents. I just hope he gets kicked out by selectors unceremoniously. He is cancer to Indian Cricket. This man should be treated worse then fixer Mohmmed Azaharuddin and deserve to be put in that category for messing Team India for his personall financial gains

:congrats:

Link to post

Looks like the answer we have to say is a BIG NO>

 

SRT, Dravid and VVS retired on their own terms. They did not wait until they need to be dropped.

But that is not happening with Kohli, Pujara and Rahane. The calls to sack them from their test places are getting louder by the day.

The series loss to South Africa is the last nail in the coffin for the careers of Pujara n Rahane.

Link to post
8 hours ago, sarcastic said:

Looks like the answer we have to say is a BIG NO>

 

SRT, Dravid and VVS retired on their own terms. They did not wait until they need to be dropped.

But that is not happening with Kohli, Pujara and Rahane. The calls to sack them from their test places are getting louder by the day.

The series loss to South Africa is the last nail in the coffin for the careers of Pujara n Rahane.

Do you mean to say we were winning series after series in SA when SRT, Dravid, Laxman played?

Link to post

Before their career slumps began from the NZ series in 2020, for a 8-9 year period (70-75 tests for both),  Kohli and Pujara were as good as any other legends in our history.

 

That they both had concurrent career slumps hasn't helped them at all.

 

In the earlier era, when Sachin struggled Sehwag, Dravid and VVS beane the pillars, when Dravid struggled Sachin and VVS were in prime form, when VVS struggled, Sehwag, Sachin and Dravid covered. That also helped in their career longevity, batting never struggled for a 15-20 test period. At best a series here and there and then they would bounce back. Plus there was never so much arrogance despite individual struggles (statements like I don't have to prove anything to anyone, team knows and values my contributions etc). 

Link to post

Kohli as a test batsman is clearly below Tendulkar and Dravid.

 

Pujara is in same league as Vengsarkar and below Laxman and Vishwanath.

 

Rahane is the worst Indian specialist batsman of all-time to play 50 tests let alone 80, although the Melbourne knock of 2020 will be remembered for ages. The timing of that knock couldn't have been any better, it was an absolute classic stuff.

 

So, the answer to the OP is that they are about 60% as good as those three.

Edited by Majestic
Link to post
1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

 

You need to take 20 wickets to win matches.

 

They would have won 2004 and 2008 Australia series, 2010 SA series and many more with current bowling line up.

2002 NZ tour 2006 SA tour as well.  We would have beaten them in Newlands for sure after posting such a huge total in 1st inns. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
Link to post

Watching Kohli bat in this Cape town test.. . His technical flaws & lack of strokes were exposed like never before.  Ngidi Jansen kept giving him room for a decent square cut & flash plenty of times.  Likes of Sachin & Sehwag would have scored plenty of runs square of the wicket.  There was zero threat of LBW's.  Cover drives were risky option.  Even Peterson scored majority of his runs on backfoot. 

Manju has thoroughly exposed this fraud on cricinfo...  And said if he had backfoot game he would have scored 130 odd easily on this track..  While he showed great patience..  But even he knew he eventually had to score but didn't had strokes to counter the lengths they were bowling..  And then the big booming loose cover drive came. 

Edited by Lone Wolf
Link to post

Pitches have gotten more bowler-friendly, that much is true. So, one can add around +5 for current batters compared to past era.

 

ChePu had some ATG series at home and in 'Oz 2018, but overall was not as consistent as Dravid overseas. I'd give this to Dravid

SRT was much more talented than Kohli, but the latter at his peak proved to be a more dominating batter (more 200s, conversion rate, etc). The issue, however, is that Kohli is clearly in decline. So, overall, I give it to SRT for consistency

Rahane had a great start to test career, looked like he might equal or surpass VVS. Fell off big time in last 50 tests, and is comfortably lower than VVS.

 

Even accounting for better bowling conditions these days, I'd still rate current trimurthi lower than previous trio of Dravid-SRT-VVS. Heck, Rahane on current form is worse than Ganguly

Link to post

The fact that Sachin averaged in 50's even in the 90's shows the talent & skill level of the man.  Except maybe Waugh I don't remember anyone averaging 50 during that period.  I don't belong to that generation or neither I have seen Sachin bat in his prime...  Whatever I have seen with Kohli never really impressed me.  Rahane when he came to the scene did look like he had the flair in his batting but what a waste he turned out to be. 

Count Duckula remains the most overrated batsman India ever produced. 

Link to post
56 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

The fact that Sachin averaged in 50's even in the 90's shows the talent & skill level of the man.  Except maybe Waugh I don't remember anyone averaging 50 during that period.  I don't belong to that generation or neither I have seen Sachin bat in his prime...  Whatever I have seen with Kohli never really impressed me.  Rahane when he came to the scene did look like he had the flair in his batting but what a waste he turned out to be. 

Count Duckula remains the most overrated batsman India ever produced. 

 

 

Lara sachin steve waugh were the original gangsters of the batting trilogy.

 

P.S: I've been watching cricket since the 1992 WC

Link to post
3 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

 

You need to take 20 wickets to win matches.

 

They would have won 2004 and 2008 Australia series, 2010 SA series and many more with current bowling line up.

"Probably" or likely - let's not make imaginary castles with imaginary ATG sides!

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...