" Seniority " over " Current Ability ", as the main selection criterion, is preventing Team India from realizing its true potential

Just now, Pollack said:

Ishant is tall and still useless. Any other bowler with the same height and playing since ages would have improved leaps and bounds by now. These Ishant Sharma and Ravindra Jadeja are the most useless investment by Indian cricket. Atleast Jadeja started being useful in Tests but Ishant is still pathetic as ever.

He had a brief purple patch after playing county with Gillespie as coach but is past it now. A hundred tests with a batsman like bowling average, declined pace and stamina, lack of swing and he still gets picked. Very sad!

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

You are telling me prasidh won't do better than ishant now? Praisdh who averages 23 in first class. 

I am saying that any fit frontline pacer is better than a semi-fit old pacer who is getting picked based on reputation.

It is very important to gauge current fitness of pace bowlers especially.

Lack of major injury does not mean a pacer is fit to play international cricket. 

The TM.should have gauged this.

13 minutes ago, express bowling said:

I am saying that any fit frontline pacer is better than a semi-fit old pacer who is getting picked based on reputation.

It is very important to gauge current fitness of pace bowlers especially.

Lack of major injury does not mean a pacer is fit to play international cricket. 

The TM.should have gauged this.

Yea mate.when I said you i dint mean you lol. I meant the management. 

1 hour ago, Pollack said:

Ishant is tall and still useless. Any other bowler with the same height and playing since ages would have improved leaps and bounds by now. 

A 6'5" tall Ishant Sharma gets far less bounce than a 5'11"" Bumrah and less bounce than a 5'9" Shami.

That shows us how futile it is to choose him for his height.

I have seen people pick the best 3 years of his career to say how good he is.  But pacers with career averages of 20 to 25 have often averaged really really low in their best 3 years. And comparisons should be with those years. 

Edited by express bowling

Siva, Gavaskar snd Kartik now talking about " Problems of plenty ".

They are trying to mean " too many good batsmen " while the reality is that we have a problem of  " Plenty of useless batsmen ".

Why do these guys always suck up to non performing seniors  !!

Kartik just talked about " both Mayank and Gill failing ".  I can't believe it  !  Gill with a 50+ is a failure while the seniors are ok after hardly scoring. 

Edited by express bowling

Shreya Iyer will be walking wicket in any other country with little movement with his technique.Selecting Gill over Rahul proved to be a big mistake in the biggest test match of 2021.Experienced players always are needed in any team.

Rahane was never good to begin with but somehow earned a tag of great overseas player.Pujara has been very good at home so he would still play second test.

Edited by putrevus
1 minute ago, putrevus said:

Shreya Iyer will be walking wicket in any other country with little movement with his technique.Selecting Gill over Rahul proved to be a big mistake in the biggest test match of 2021.Experienced played always are needed in any team.

Rahane was never good to begin with but somehow earned a tag of great overseas player.Pujara has been very good at home so he would still play second test.

both Rahane and Pujara have been failing at home too.Pujara's last home ton was in 2017.

Experience is useless if you are not doing your primary job.

Atleast we can try youngsters at home

1 minute ago, Lord said:

both Rahane and Pujara have been failing at home too.Pujara's last home ton was in 2017.

Experience is useless if you are not doing your primary job.

Atleast we can try youngsters at home

I agree they have failed but to be fair to them they have been playing on extremely bowler friendly wickets.They have been playing most home tests on Bunsen burners too.So scoring 100 is not a big deal. You cannot try two different sets of batsmen one at home and one away. Kohli has not scored 100 in two years in any format. Would you drop him.

One of them has to be phased out permanently.I would still play Pujara over Rahane.Rahane to me was never good any time in his career to be a main batsman.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

I agree they have failed but to be fair to them they have been playing on extremely bowler friendly wickets.

.So scoring 100 is not a big deal. You cannot try two different sets of batsmen one at home and one away. Kohli has not scored 100 in two years in any format. Would you drop him.

One of them has to be phased out permanently.I would still play Pujara over Rahane.Rahane to me was never good any time in his career to be a main batsman.

Yet Rohit and Pant have done far better on same pitches. Heck even Jadeja and Ashwin have been better.

Its not like they are good overseas,so dont understand your point of different batsmen home and away.

Kohli's form is a concern too,but because of being captain and higher ceiling will get bigger rope.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

Yet Rohit and Pant have done far better on same pitches. Heck even Jadeja and Ashwin have been better.

Its not like they are good overseas,so dont understand your point of different batsmen home and away.

Kohli's form is a concern too,but because of being captain and higher ceiling will get bigger rope.

Rohit was walking wicket in test cricket too away from home. Lot of people wanted him gone from test cricket for good too.He has turned it around.Pujara played pivotal role in two major back to back overseas win against Australia.I would not say Pujara has been bad overseas.To me it earns Pujara a longer leash and he still averages over 55 at home even with his slump .

Rahane even when he was in form never had ability to carry a batting lineup.

It would be unfair for any batsman to just play away series  and be judged with some player who just played home tests,

6 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Rohit was walking wicket in test cricket too away from home. Lot of people wanted him gone from test cricket for good too.He has turned it around.Pujara played pivotal role in two major back to back overseas win against Australia.I would not say Pujara has been bad overseas.To me it earns Pujara a longer leash and he still averages over 55 at home even with his slump .

Rahane even when he was in form never had ability to carry a batting lineup.

It would be unfair for any batsman to just play away series  and be judged with some player who just played home tests,

I'm not asking anyone to just play overseas.

Pujara has been better,but on current form and that's a decent sample,hes been poor too except some 50s here and there.

Ofcourse can't drop them both at same time,but Pujara's on borrowed time too.Maybe he should bat at 5.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

Shreya Iyer will be walking wicket in any other country with little movement with his technique.Selecting Gill over Rahul proved to be a big mistake in the biggest test match of 2021.Experienced players always are needed in any team.

Our win at Fortress Gabba proved how overrated experience is.

The 5 bowlers combined had played less than 10 tests.

There were only 3 experienced players in the whole 11.

And in batting it was left to complete newbies, Washington and Shardul, to salvage the innings.

Even in this test match it has been Shreyas leading with the bat and Axar leading with the ball.

The combined experience of Kohli, Ashwin, Jadeja and Umesh will be good enough for the Mumbai test. 

1 hour ago, Lord said:

I'm not asking anyone to just play overseas.

Pujara has been better,but on current form and that's a decent sample,hes been poor too except some 50s here and there.

Ofcourse can't drop them both at same time,but Pujara's on borrowed time too.Maybe he should bat at 5.

For the first in SA, I would take Rohit and Kohli in place of Mayank and Rahane. Pujara and Ishant are on their last legs.If they don't perform in SA they both will be dropped for good.