" Seniority " over " Current Ability ", as the main selection criterion, is preventing Team India from realizing its true potential

38 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Our win at Fortress Gabba proved how overrated experience is.

The 5 bowlers combined had played less than 10 tests.

There were only 3 experienced players in the whole 11.

And in batting it was left to complete newbies, Washington and Shardul, to salvage the innings.

Even in this test match it has been Shreyas leading with the bat and Axar leading with the ball.

The combined experience of Kohli, Ashwin, Jadeja and Umesh will be good enough for the Mumbai test. 

So you think that Gabba result will be repeated again if the same score was need to in fourth innings by same players. It would be stupid to base things off that test.  

Washington Sundar is nothing but bits and pieces player  , I would not put any stock in him. Thakur will play in most overseas tests as you need four fast bowlers. I have been Shreya Iyer's fan for a long time but he is not going to be a core member of India team with his technique.He has too many holes.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

So you think that Gabba result will be repeated again if the same score was need to in fourth innings by same players. It would be stupid to base things off that test.  

Washington Sundar is nothing but bits and pieces player  , I would not put any stock in him. Thakur will play in most overseas tests as you need four fast bowlers. I have been Shreya Iyer's fan for a long time but he is not going to be a core member of India team with his technique.He has too many holes.

So anything that does not suit your narrative is stupid ... facts be damned !

Ok Sir, be happy with your thoughts.

P.S .. Looks like you have either not watched Washington bat or evaluating batsmen is not your forte. 

So anything that does not suit your narrative is stupid ... facts be damned !

Ok Sir, be happy with your thoughts.

P.S .. Looks like you have either not watched Washington bat or evaluating batsmen is not your forte. 

I don’t base my opinion on some stats or few innings.I will be happy to be proven wrong by Sundar. But you don’t become top order batsman in test cricket just like that, you need that talent and habit of scoring runs from school cricket.

To think that he would be even close to be even Rahane for over 50 plus tests is nothing but fallacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1st test 2nd innings vs NZ till lunch

Average Speeds

Ishant.    131.0 kph

Umesh.  134.7 kph

And none of them have even touched 140 kph.

Both trundling and looking tired and low on energy.

Zero wickets and high economy rate.

They know that they will be used in short spells ... but they are bowling without intensity and effort.

What is the use of playing these old pacers ! Why are we promoting mediocrity  !

P.S -- They may pick a couple of wickets later on and the TM will be happy with them.

We see far higher intensity, pace and energy when younger pacers like Bumrah and Siraj bowl.

Edited by express bowling
14 minutes ago, Clarke said:

^ Not much skill either. Southee must have bowled in similar bracket but he tested the batsmen far more with his swing. Jamie with his bounce & accuracy. Plus our batting is worse. At least contribute in some sense & test the batsmen. 

Ishant never had the skills to bowl well in India against top teams. 

And Umesh is just getting old. 

I don't know why the TM is not recognising this.

Too many old and jaded batsmen and bowlers in this team.

3 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Ishant never had the skills to bowl well in India against top teams. 

And Umesh is just getting old. 

I don't know why the TM is not recognising this.

Too many old and jaded batsmen and bowlers in this team.

Umesh has been good before this test in home games. With Ishant its just living in the past.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:13 AM, express bowling said:

Ajinkya Rahane will get one more chance in Mumbai Test, unfortunately Shreyas Iyer might miss out: VVS Laxman

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/india-vs-new-zealand-ajinkya-rahane-mumbai-test-shreyas-iyer-miss-out-vvs-laxman-1881830-2021-11-28

SHREYAS IYER CAN'T BE LEFT OUT: SIMON DOULL

the senioritis is continuing with chepu and rat bagging ducks. yes, rat was probably not out, but the awkward way he played the ball irritated me to no end. both of them may make some useless 2nd innings run and save their spots.

Edited by Vijy
1 hour ago, express bowling said:

What a lion hearted effort by Siraj and what an upgrade he has looked over Senior Ishant  !

That fiery spell of 4 overs for 3 wickets by Siraj broke the NZ team's back and they never recovered.

What was impressive was the pace coupled with bit of late movement . When we see in Slomo  really one should appreciate the skill displayed on each of those deliveries he got wickets .

1. Young - Ball coming in with accute  angle but then it starts straightening and going away a bit . Young was caught  in no man's land .The angle of his bat shows what ball did when it reached him.

2. Latham- Beat him for pace .

3. Taylor -Best of the lot. Ball angling in and moves away very late . Not sure he can produce that delivery often . But a peach .

And all of them at very good pace around 140 .

Edited by prudent_kreeda
11 minutes ago, express bowling said:

It's high time we try Prasidh Krishna in test matches too ... and see what he has to offer.

We will get to know whether he is better than Shami.and Umesh in 2021.

Unless we try we will never know.

We need to be little patient.  Feel ishant is on his way out  and  Prasidh will get chance atleast in 1 test match in SA.  I will be happy if that happens . SA is the best place for him to debut.

I am happy if a more matured Prasidh  debuts rather than a half cooked Prasidh who wilts when attacked. 2 things he needs to take care - bowling a boundary almost every 10 balls and bowling floaty full length at times . 

17 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

We need to be little patient.  Feel ishant is on his way out  and  Prasidh will get chance atleast in 1 test match in SA.  I will be happy if that happens . SA is the best place for him to debut.

I am happy if a more matured Prasidh  debuts rather than a half cooked Prasidh who wilts when attacked. 2 things he needs to take care - bowling a boundary almost every 10 balls and bowling floaty full length at times . 

For that, Prasidh needed to play the 3 Unofficial tests in South Africa instead of warming the bench here. 

Even if he misses debut in SA, he needs to be played in the test series vs Sri Lanka in Feb and March.

I don't think he will mature without playing actual matches. 

28 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

What was impressive was the pace coupled with bit of late movement . When we see in Slomo  really one should appreciate the skill displayed on each of those deliveries he got wickets .

1. Young - Ball coming in with anacute  angle but then it starts straightening and going away a bit . Young was caught  in no man's land .The angle of his bat shows what ball did when it reached him.

2. Latham- Beat him for pace .

3. Taylor -Best of the lot. Ball angling in and moves away very late . Not sure he can produce that delivery often . But a peach .

And all of them at very good pace around 140 .

The bouncer that dismissed Latham was at 148 kph. That is some serious pace by Siraj.

He is a seriously skilful pacer. And what I really liked was that he was either targeting the top of off stump or was bowling genuine bouncers. That inbetween length is a defensive one and rarely produces wickets.

Angling in and seaming away is one of the best deliveries possible for taking a wicket ... and he is becoming a master of that. 

One area where he needs to improve is ... bowling more seam up deliveries than cross seamed ones. 

36 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Bumrah and Siraj are pretty much certain starters everywhere now bar injury.

Shardul has A/R stamped on his forehead and should play in most SENA conditions.

Who'd be the 4th quick then? Shami, Ishant and Prasidh are the three incumbents in that order of preference. Kohli is going to be Kohli so it's up to Dravid to make him smell the coffee and push for the newbie.

True.

Just 1 open spot.

IMO Ishant should not be considered based on poor fitness. 

3 tests ... so it is possible to start with Shami and play Prasidh in the 2nd on 3rd test based on how Shami fares.  I don't think he has the fitness to bowl with intensity in 3 tests on the trot in 2021.

1 hour ago, sarchasm said:

Bumrah and Siraj are pretty much certain starters everywhere now bar injury.

Shardul has A/R stamped on his forehead and should play in most SENA conditions.

Who'd be the 4th quick then? Shami, Ishant and Prasidh are the three incumbents in that order of preference. Kohli is going to be Kohli so it's up to Dravid to make him smell the coffee and push for the newbie.

Dravid has no real spine worth speaking of. Kohli will do what Kohli does

8 hours ago, express bowling said:

The bouncer that dismissed Latham was at 148 kph. That is some serious pace by Siraj.

He is a seriously skilful pacer. And what I really liked was that he was either targeting the top of off stump or was bowling genuine bouncers. That inbetween length is a defensive one and rarely produces wickets.

Angling in and seaming away is one of the best deliveries possible for taking a wicket ... and he is becoming a master of that. 

One area where he needs to improve is ... bowling more seam up deliveries than cross seamed ones. 

That 3/4 ball to lhb will get him a lot of wickets. It did in England too. He seems to understand how to combine raw pace with movement which is why he is not shy of throwing in a short ball every now and then. In surfaces that are not very bowler friendly that is important.