Cheteshwar Pujara seems to have lost ablity to play well on the backfoot, says Dale Steyn

'Need to bring in right people with right mindset'- Virat Kohli

“We will continue to reassess and continue to have conversations around what are the things required to strengthen our side and not follow or fall prey to certain patterns,” Kohli said at the post match virtual press conference.

“We will not wait for a year or so and have to plan ahead. If you see our white ball team now, we have great depth and guys are ready and confident. Same thing needs to be done with Test cricket,” he said.

“You have to reassess and replan and understand what dynamics work for the team and how we can be fearless. Bring in right people who have right mindset to perform,” the skipper added.

Need to bring in right people with right mindset: Virat Kohli hints at overhaul of Test side

author-deafault.pngPTI
SOUTHAMPTON, JUNE 24, 2021 09:58 IST
UPDATED: JUNE 24, 2021 10:26 IST

1x1_spacer.png

Indian captain Virat Kohli. File photo   | Photo Credit: PTI

The Indian captain didn’t take any names but expressed his displeasure at some players for not showing enough “intent” to score runs.

India skipper Virat Kohli has indicated an overhaul of his Test team after a stunning loss to New Zealand in the World Test Championship final in Southampton, saying that “right people who have the right mindset to perform” will be brought in following a reassessment.

After his side lost the WTC Final by eight wickets on Wednesday with batting being a major letdown, the Indian captain didn’t take any names but expressed his displeasure at some players for not showing enough “intent” to score runs.

Senior batsman Cheteshwar Pujara managed 8 off 54 balls in the first innings and consumed 35 balls for his first run. He then scored just 15 runs off 80 balls in the second essay. In the end, New Zealand chased down a 139-run target without much trouble.

“We will continue to reassess and continue to have conversations around what are the things required to strengthen our side and not follow or fall prey to certain patterns,” Kohli said at the post match virtual press conference.

“We will not wait for a year or so and have to plan ahead. If you see our white ball team now, we have great depth and guys are ready and confident. Same thing needs to be done with Test cricket,” he said.

“You have to reassess and replan and understand what dynamics work for the team and how we can be fearless. Bring in right people who have right mindset to perform,” the skipper added.

He also spoke about finding ways to score runs against quality attacks like that of New Zealand. India scored only 217 in the first innings and were all out for 170 in the second effort.

“We definitely need to work out better plans on understanding how to score runs. We have to stay in sync with the momentum of the game and not let the game drift away too much. I don’t think there are any technical difficulties as such,” he asserted.

“It’s more down to game awareness and being more brave in putting bowlers under pressure and not allowing them to bowl in similar areas for longer periods of time unless it is absolutely overcast and ball swinging all over the place like it happened on day 1,” he added.

Kohli urged his batsmen to take calculated risks and strike a balance between well-timed strokeplay and holding an end.

“The endeavour would be to try and score runs and not worry about getting out in testing conditions. That’s the way you can put opposition under pressure otherwise you are standing there hoping that you don’t get out and you are not being optimistic enough,” he said.

“You have to take calculated risks against a quality bowling attack like NZ,” he added

Lagta hain, haath dhoke pada hain , pujara ke peeche. All talk from Kohli/Shastri is reserved for Pujara's SR only. 

5 minutes ago, Lord said:

I'd swap Pujara with Gill before dropping him

You mean swap positions in the batting order? That looks a better option than the current one. You need a set of openers with good defence especially in England. If Pujara is needed at all, he should open the batting to create a platform for attacking batsmen down the lineup. Gill is an attacking batsman. you need an attacking batsman who can also defend under certain circumstances for 3. Ideally, it should have been Kohli's position but Gill can be groomed for that role. Williamson played a crucial knock for NZ at 3 in both innings. Kohli should have taken that position but his position at 4 has been set now.

10 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Rat has already singled him out. He said the batsmen need to play with more intent. We're back to 2016.

Dharam sankat for Rat is now that if he drops him after one game pujara will become a victim in public eyes and same ppl will say he was dropped after one game coz politics. Now other options are vihari, Rahul, mayank and none of them i expect will change things as they have their own share of issues n that to big ones. Kohli doesnt have the balls to think about easwaran who is a very tight player and opposition dont know much about him.

Now if he sticks by  pujara, with all his head position n other issues his poor form will affect teams result

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
5 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Lagta hain, haath dhoke pada hain , pujara ke peeche. All talk from Kohli/Shastri is reserved for Pujara's SR only. 

So this dickhead will make Pujara and Rahane the scapegoats. Not one word on owning his fcuked up team selections and childish tactical errors.

Obviously that kills Rahane's threat to his captaincy. Was entirely expected. He already has Rohit on his radar. Didn't want him in Australia and benched him in the first 2 T20s vs England 

Edited by ShoonyaSifar
10 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Clown can't even score runs on Indian flatbeds anymore as evidenced in the first test against England at Chennai

To be fair he was looking at his prime in first innings till he got out unluckily hitting short leg if i remember and ball ballooning up. Actually he looks very circumspect. Is it because he is thinking if i get out india will be in more trouble or whatever. I think the last option which is left is make him open with rohit and get Gill at 3 in England.

8 minutes ago, neel roy said:

To be fair he was looking at his prime in first innings till he got out unluckily hitting short leg if i remember and ball ballooning up. Actually he looks very circumspect. Is it because he is thinking if i get out india will be in more trouble or whatever. I think the last option which is left is make him open with rohit and get Gill at 3 in England.

think that post is about Kohli :laugh:

1 hour ago, neel roy said:

his head is falling, head position is most important be it batting or bowling. If that doesnt improve its disaster 

19 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

We don't have any such people. Neither you can play test cricket on a set pattern. It requires personnel with different utility and methods.  Batsmen with great skills and temperament aren't easily found. Most of the time, there is a compromise depending on our requirements and what's available. 

Do we have readymade alround batsmen available? No, none, nada. We either have plodders like Vihari, Abhimanyu or smashers like Shaw. Gill is the only one who has the ability and skill to do both but can he adjusts temperamentally and improve?

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

We need another Pant type batsman in the top 3.

These days, most batsmen cannot survive for long. It is better to have batters who will mess up the opposition's line and length and score as much as they can when they are there.

Or just promote Pant

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

These days, most batsmen cannot survive for long. It is better to have batters who will mess up the opposition's line and length and score as much as they can when they are there.

i doubt their is anyone like pant, pant has no apparent weakness .Pant. I hvent seen a batsman like him and he has been very consistent in test and for 2-3 yrs at start even in IPL

With someone attacking like shaw or hardik they do have 

23 hours ago, Laaloo said:

Disagree with steyn

he should have said “Cheteshwar Pujara seems to have lost ablity to play well 

Here's the thing - these players and TM should realize that loss of form creeps in over time and it is natural.  Happens to anyone. 

There should be no shame in stepping away for some time, working out the kinks, scoring lots of runs in domestics/county and forcing your way back.  Especially someone like Pujara has an incredible body of work, so if he becomes a domestic run machine even for one season, he will be back. 

But the national team is not your drawing board.

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

have to have ugly hoicks in all 11, no other way we can score runs quickly.