Cheteshwar Pujara seems to have lost ablity to play well on the backfoot, says Dale Steyn

On 7/6/2021 at 6:13 AM, voldy666 said:

Pujara said in an interview that he simply was hell bent on not getting out & staying the whole day in that Aus test. He simply eliminated most of his scoring options willingly & kept using the body for that purpose. Gill,Pujara & Pant all 3 played masterclasses in their own ways in that match. I think he bats the best alongside Pant. 

Same group of guys have been writing against Pujara since 2017 

On 7/6/2021 at 3:43 PM, voldy666 said:

Pujara said in an interview that he simply was hell bent on not getting out & staying the whole day in that Aus test. He simply eliminated most of his scoring options willingly & kept using the body for that purpose. Gill,Pujara & Pant all 3 played masterclasses in their own ways in that match. I think he bats the best alongside Pant. 

Also, what is Shastri & the batting coach doing by not helping in sorting out the issues with Pujara's batting?

guys-  there are many batsman who build their aggressive game quite a lot like Pant and others and few who build their defensive game quite a lot like Pujara...

pant's issue is he attacks and some times he succeeds and sometimes he fails....i think we can take a chance and keep him. ideally even such an aggressive player is not an ideal test batsman. his defensive game is a bit weak.

Same is the Issue with Pujara, his attacking game is a 2 on 10 and defensive game is a 10 on 10. In indian conditions , he score's little but he is a headache for other teams as getting him is difficult. But on indian wickets rahane's , kohli, mayank, rohit and others all score runs so one can have a defensive batsman in a group of attacking batsman who are scoring runs. but in england where the ball is swinging and one knows that one may get out in 60 balls ..pujara scores 10 runs in 60 balls and may be 20 in 100 balls and a 35 in 150 balls, but will this help when a pant scores 35 in 20 balls only.

he creates undue pressure when the partnership is unable to keep the run scoring going...thats when the other batsman takes risks and gets OUT.i feel this happened to Virat a few times.

i am SURE that in india which has so many good batsman available , we cannot have a dead bat batsman playing.

i used to play fast but in a 20 over match once , i faced a good bowler initially and he bowled some scorching Yorkers and bouncers and i could save my wickets but did nt score much in first 5 overs..captain came himself to tell us to score runs OR get ourselves out....next over i scored 3 4's and i realized that the bowling was not as tough as I had made it look like. i got out soon as i went all out for runs. point i wanna make is pujara makes the bowler look like a deadly bowler some times and stops scoring runs.

in england, on green tracks ,teams will get out under 100 overs and if they play slow, they will score 200 runs else if they score at some pace they will score 315....point is team which scores runs faster in tests is the team that finally WINS the game too. 

you all can analyse this too...

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Everyone knws their weakness but its not that easy to change specially ur basic game. If it was that easy everyone wud have been a great player. 

surely minor adjustments can be made like Gill's high backlift can be reduced or Mayank's stride can be shortened.

3 minutes ago, Lord said:

surely minor adjustments can be made like Gill's high backlift can be reduced or Mayank's stride can be shortened.

With mayank problem is he also plays white ball cricket for which these things work 

High backlift also means u need to come down in time, pujara reflxes arent that good anymore. Dhoni cut down his backlift in his last yrs, yuvraj on other hand made it higher which resulted in many bowled. 

This needs a lot of work n practice , KL went back to domestic n reworked his game. In pandemic domestic games are also not avl

14 minutes ago, Malcolm Merlyn said:

He is done. If Rahul and Rohit continue to do well, his spot 3 will go to Mayank or Prithvi or Shubman.

Sent from my HD1901 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gill is the guy, mayank himself has a lot of technical issues for overseas

Sundar could be a surprise candidate. He has all tools to become a successful test batsman that too in top 5, who knows he may follow a similar career trajectory as Steve Smith!!! Maybe not that successful but good enough for us, can also contribute as a defensive bowling option. 

Just 21, big future ahead of him. 

Edited by Gollum
17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Sundar could be a surprise candidate. He has all tools to become a successful test batsman that too in top 5, who knows he may follow a similar career trajectory as Steve Smith!!! Maybe not that successful but good enough for us, can also contribute as a defensive bowling option. 

Just 21, big future ahead of him. 

can be tried in future or A games 1st- as of now i see him 60-70 kind of batsman overseas which he wont be consistent at also 

This team needs players who can score big runs now speically when we play with 5 batsman and a longish tail . Add to that Kohli is not getting 100s, Rohit is also stuck in that barrier , rahane will score 100 in some 35 innings and jaddu also hardly does it . 

Guys like Gill, shankar, shaw , gill have done that in domestic regulalry whereas sundar as of now avg 38 in domestic. Even though i dnt look to deep in domestic stats but he doesnt give me confidence of a marathon inning player which we need badly 

This can be planned out by sending him up in domestic n A games , slowly he ll learn to make big scores . Gambhir rightly says if u wanna someone a proper batsman make him bat up and he ll start thinking like a proper batsman. 

1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

can be tried in future or A games 1st- as of now i see him 60-70 kind of batsman overseas which he wont be consistent at also 

This team needs players who can score big runs now speically when we play with 5 batsman and a longish tail . Add to that Kohli is not getting 100s, Rohit is also stuck in that barrier , rahane will score 100 in some 35 innings and jaddu also hardly does it . 

Guys like Gill, shankar, shaw , gill have done that in domestic regulalry whereas sundar as of now avg 38 in domestic. Even though i dnt look to deep in domestic stats but he doesnt give me confidence of a marathon inning player which we need badly 

This can be planned out by sending him up in domestic n A games , slowly he ll learn to make big scores . Gambhir rightly says if u wanna someone a proper batsman make him bat up and he ll start thinking like a proper batsman. 

I am more optimistic, kid is just 21, and his batting potential was unlocked very recently. Now he will get more chances even in domestic to shine with the bat. 

7 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

kya farq padega ?? uska head position bigad gaya hai and thats where all the problem begins for batsman or bowler

Will hurt the team lesser and maybe bat better vs tired bowlers

Ofcourse I'm assuming hes not gonna be dropped.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Will hurt the team lesser and maybe bat better vs tired bowlers

Ofcourse I'm assuming hes not gonna be dropped.

kya tired honge yaha bowler, its not hot like australia or India neither opposition is scoring some 700 runs neither these are pakistani bowler who lack stamina also they have enough bowling option .

Moeen ali daal lega usko if not seamers and even spinners have troubled him in recent times

3 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Gill is the guy, mayank himself has a lot of technical issues for overseas

What i saw from KL & Rohit so far in real swinging conditions this series  is something i never expected .

If these 2 can make these changes , i see even Gill will also sort his issue out . 

He has the height  & Reach like KL and he should bring some of the play of KL into his game i.e  Come more on front foot , use a good reach and develop off side drives/defence. He is pretty good in back foot and also vs short stuff. He may have to reduce his back lift a bit and play with a forward trigger and may be use short arm jab for shorter balls to start with as he will have lower backlift . I  expect bowlers trying to attack him with full pitched balls seaming going forward too. Making change in style as above mentioned should help him even outside Eng. 

Once he overcomes current issue , then its just bringing  a balance between this  front footed play and his old back foot play .