Best foreign language films of all time

zen

@ravishingravi  buddy, please don't post so many trailers (we know about those films) unless you are making a particular point wrt to soundtrack or cinematography or some special scene ... Make a list and write something about those films :dontknow:  ... I am supporting the OP (the short article) with additional information 

Edited by zen

2 minutes ago, zen said:

I find all the good Studio Ghibli films to be more or less similar in quality ... Nausicaa, I give it bonus points of its soundtrack ... Other films include Howl's Moving Castle (best artwork if that is the right term), Castle in the Sky, etc. ... I find Porto Rocco funny 

Yes. I really liked Only Yesterday's soundtrack even though the songs aren't their own. Also a very underrated film.

I feel Japan also makes good animated films outside of Studio Ghibli for the past decade and a half. Like your name, a silent voice, garden of the woods, etc Good studios and directors overall.

Edited by I6MTW

2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Yes. I really liked Only Yesterday's soundtrack even though the songs aren't their own. Also a very underrated film.

I feel Japan also makes good animated films outside of Studio Ghibli for the past decade and a half. 

Sure. I mostly follow Studio Ghibli ... Not much into anime ... If I recall correctly, was it you who had recommend me some films on the anime thread?

Edited by zen

7 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Isn't there better films from Studio Ghibli than Nausicaa? Like Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, The Wind Rises etc

My neighbour Totoro is probably the best Ghibli film for me. Has something for both adults and children. Really like Kiki's delivery service too.

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

My neighbour Totoro is probably the best Ghibli film for me. Has something for both adults and children. Really like Kiki's delivery service too.

I have seen MNT. It was nice. A feel good film with nuances at certain scenes. I prefer Only Yesterday, Whisper of the Heart and The Wind Rises. Something less fantasy oriented. Though I do like the fantasy themed movies as well. 

6 minutes ago, zen said:

Sure. I mostly follow Studio Ghibli ... Not much into anime ... If I recall correctly, was it you who had recommend me some films on the anime thread?

I might have. I generally recommend anime series and movies to non anime watchers and skeptics or those who are new to it.

2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I might have. I generally recommend anime series and movies to non anime watchers and skeptics or those who are new to it.

It was a thread on guess what Studio Ghibli 

Below showcases some brilliant framing techniques (from a photography perspective as well) in Stalker. If I am not wrong, many film students study the film for its cinematography: 

21 minutes ago, MechEng said:

@zen If you like horror movies, watch Suspiria. The music theme is super scary 

The 1977 one? Yeah, I have seen it ... In fact, it in my 4K UHD collection. The restoration makes the soundtrack shine :dance:  ... Below is a thread on horror films too:

Edited by zen

35 minutes ago, zen said:

The 1977 one? Yeah, I have seen it ... In fact, it in my 4K UHD collection. The restoration makes the soundtrack shine :dance:  ... Below is a thread on horror films too:

The 1977 one! I watched this movie 7 years ago when I was living in a deserted village alone in Karnataka temporarily to do an internship. Must say I could not sleep properly for nearly 2 weeks after listening to the Suspiria theme as the eerily lonely atmosphere of the village complemented the horror of the film's music.

3 minutes ago, MechEng said:

The 1977 one! I watched this movie 7 years ago when I was living in a deserted village alone in Karnataka temporarily to do an internship. Must say I could not sleep properly for nearly 2 weeks after listening to the Suspiria theme as the eerily lonely atmosphere of the village complemented the horror of the film's music.

The film also deals with supernatural so being alone can magnify the sensitivities to such topics ... When in school, I recall watching a film where there was a screen of a scary body emerging from the bathtub (can't recall the name of the film) and that made me not go to the washrooms. Used to watch horror films with blankets to hide at appropriate moments :fear1:

On 7/1/2021 at 2:09 PM, zen said:

suspiria is an amazing film . one of the ATG foreign horror films