Vikram - Kamal Hassan+ Fahaad Faasil + Vijay sethupathi

Ankit_sharma03

16 hours ago, zen said:

:lol: ... I like Kamal Hassan but below is the type of "overacting" which can make you laugh than feel sad about the events:

Do you know the context of the scene and have you seen this movie? That is one of the most tragic scenes filmed on Indian screen and will send you to depression if you see the movie start to end.

Having said that Kamal Hassan has his moments when he overreacts and goes out of control but you picked the wrong movie to prove the point.

34 minutes ago, maniac said:

Do you know the context of the scene and have you seen this movie? That is one of the most tragic scenes filmed on Indian screen and will send you to depression if you see the movie start to end.

Having said that Kamal Hassan has his moments when he overreacts and goes out of control but you picked the wrong movie to prove the point.

I have seen the film (Sadma) and know the context … It is a badly done sequence with overacting. As I said, it can make you laugh rather than feel sad. I wrote the. below:

“If I were to redo just this sequence without major changes (ignoring what could be changed in previous segments ), I would probably have him rushing to the station on a bike (you could include some near fatal misses here and there for additional drama). Once there, have him meet Sridevi to see if she remembers him (she would not). Have her leave in a friendly manner, wishing her well (but hidden pain conveyed to the audiences). The sorrow would creep in once the train departs (release of emotions so need for good acting here), making the audiences not only leave with the pain, but also hope that they could meet in future (since they met at the station) “

Edited by zen

Just now, zen said:

I have see. the film and know the context … It is a badly done sequence with some overacting. I even write the. below:

“If I were to redo just this sequence without major changes (ignoring what could be changed in previous segments ), I would probably have him rushing to the station on a bike (you could include some near fatal misses here and there for additional drama). Once there, have him meet Sridevi to see if she remembers him (she would not). Have her leave in a friendly manner, wishing her well (but hidden pain conveyed to the audiences). The sorrow would creep in once the train departs (release of emotions so need for good acting here), making the audiences not only leave with the pain, but also hope that they could meet in future (since they met at the station) “

Then it wouldn’t leave the same impact. The genius of the drama is, Kamal’s performance is actually very subdued and underplayed till that point and Sridevi acts like a child throughout the movie but in this scene Sridevi is like a mature adult ignoring a guy she thinks is crazy while Kamal is over the top. That’s the genius of the scene.

If they made it that way this wouldn’t be one of the most iconic scenes of all time. You posted some obscure Dilip Kumar comedy scene as great acting but May be this movie and the genius of Bharati Raja (the director) was not for you.

Overacting is all context for example Joe Pesci in home alone went all road runner cartoonesque and he acts in Scorsese and class films. He did that on purpose apparently and it clicked and became an iconic film. The premise there is also over the top. 

Great actors can switch that gear and this (sadma) was an iconic movie from music, direction and the lead performances both Kamal and Sridevi

10 minutes ago, maniac said:

Then it wouldn’t leave the same impact. The genius of the drama is, Kamal’s performance is actually very subdued and underplayed till that point and Sridevi acts like a child throughout the movie but in this scene Sridevi is like a mature adult ignoring a guy she thinks is crazy while Kamal is over the top. That’s the genius of the scene.

If they made it that way this wouldn’t be one of the most iconic scenes of all time. You posted some obscure Dilip Kumar comedy scene as great acting but May be this movie and the genius of Bharati Raja (the director) was not for you.

There is a difference b/w doing a comedy scene and doing a tragic scene which can appear like comedy :winky:

Just now, zen said:

There is a difference b/w doing a comedy scene and doing a tragic scene which can appear like comedy :winky:

he is acting like a crazy guy and to act like a crazy guy you need to be over the top and the movie was about mental issues. Sridevi acts like a 5 year old too.

As I said if you think Manmohan Desai films as iconic cinema, guys like Baharti Raja are not your cup of tea.

There is another Bharati Raja movie where the hero (forgot his name) falls in love with the heroine (Amala I think) only by looking at her eyes and throughout the movie it is cat and mouse where he is trying to catch a glimpse of her and in the end she promises to meet him and just when they are about to  meet each other she falls in quick sand as she is dying he only gets to see her eyes again. Those kind of movies are obviously clearly not for you. Enjoy Naseeb and Amar Akbar Anthony :laugh1:. Nothing wrong though I love those movies too

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

he is acting like a crazy guy and to act like a crazy guy you need to be over the top and the movie was about mental issues. Sridevi acts like a 5 year old too.

As I said if you think Manmohan Desai films as iconic cinema, guys like Baharti Raja are not your cup of tea.

There is another Bharati Raja movie where the hero (forgot his name) falls in love with the heroine (Amala I think) only by looking at her eyes and throughout the movie it is cat and mouse where he is trying to catch a glimpse of her and in the end she promises to meet him and just when they are about to  meet each other she falls in quick sand as she is dying he only gets to see her eyes again. Those kind of movies are obviously clearly not for you. Enjoy Naseeb and Amar Akbar Anthony :laugh1:. Nothing wrong though I love those movies too

Buddy, nothing can polish a bad sequence :facepalm:

His running on middle of the road, getting hit by a car, etc., appear stupid too 

Edited by zen

1 minute ago, zen said:

Buddy, nothing can polish a bad sequence :facepalm:

you might have to rewatch to pick up the nuances of their acting throughout obviously if you nitpick the premise itself is over the top, no one gets hit on the head and becomes a 5 year old. Sorry but this movie is rated as one of the greatest Indian acting  performances of all time by both the leads for a reason.

At this point since I think you made up your mind, nothing else can be done  :)

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

you might have to rewatch to pick up the nuances of their acting throughout obviously if you nitpick the premise itself is over the top, no one gets hit on the head and becomes a 5 year old. Sorry but this movie is rated as one of the greatest Indian acting  performances of all time by both the leads for a reason.

zen has his favs. He thinks Dharmatma is better than Godfather. 

3 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

zen has his favs. He thinks Dharmatma is better than Godfather. 

:hysterical: I remember I showed my mom Life of Pi and she thought it was boring but then enjoyed Dhookudu on the next day 

Edited by maniac

33 minutes ago, maniac said:

Another 80s film that has not aged well is Ek duje ke liye:

1 minute ago, maniac said:

Sure, any movie that has lovers dying for love and making a big deal about it is lame. However the movie is iconic for starting those kind of love stories from what I know.

Not necessarily but Ek duje ke liye has lame drama and acting from today's dynamics 

Just now, maniac said:

yes and pakezah’s tehzeeb and tawaifs are way ahead of its time. Once ghazwa e hind happens we will relate

Subjects do not necessarily date a film but the presentation do ... We have period films made even now for e.g. 

I am discussing films mainly from a technical perspective. If you think that a film, whether Sadma or Ek duje ke liye, needs to be defended because of some South Indian connection, that is your perspective ... I judge films for what they are, not based on religion depicted, region, language, etc., ... Deewar, which I saw recently, has some of my favorites actors and I like some sequences from it but I do not think it has aged "that" well in general 

37 minutes ago, maniac said:

Sure, any movie that has lovers dying for love and making a big deal about it is lame. However the movie is iconic for starting those kind of love stories from what I know.

It has caused a lot of young people to commit suicide if their courting was not accepted by family. I hate this movie for that reason, some included in my extended family, first cousin. In India, most of the dams, waterfalls which were open to public, has now been barricaded as they are called suicide spots. Some in Kar, we used to trek down the falls and go till the base. Too many committing suicide.

No fan of Kamal. But he is a mighty fine actor. Sagara sangamam/Salangai oli i very much doubt anyone could have acted like him. Both Rajini and Kamal were brilliant actors. Kamal still did wonderfull well in Thenali with perfect Srilankan tamil accent,  Avvai shanmugi as old woman. Sure he over-acted in few scenes.  I used to hate him being a Rajini fan. But over a period i grew up appreciating his versatility. Apart from Mammooty/Mohanal i don't think anyone is as good as this guy. If we strictly talk about versatility he is probably unrivalled.

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

No fan of Kamal. But he is a mighty fine actor. Sagara sangamam/Salangai oli i very much doubt anyone could have acted like him. Both Rajini and Kamal were brilliant actors. Kamal still did wonderfull well in Thenali with perfect Srilankan tamil accent,  Avvai shanmugi as old woman. Sure he over-acted in few scenes.  I used to hate him being a Rajini fan. But over a period i grew up appreciating his versatility. Apart from Mammooty/Mohanal i don't think anyone is as good as this guy. If we strictly talk about versatility he is probably unrivalled.

Also I think Kamal is one of the few guys who is known as an actors actor too even in  Hollywood film circles.

Quentin Tarantino used the anime idea for a scene in Kill Bill from one of Kamal Hassan’s movies where he plays a pshyco and I remember reading some where that Tom Hanks called his performance as an autistic man in Swathi Muthyam as one of the influences for Forrest Gump. The 2nd one I can’t validate but the Quentin Tarantino one is pretty well known.