Ganguly - avg of 12, sr of 59 & cost over $1000000

amits

I think Ganguly's captaincy alone makes him worth every penny. He's easily the best skip in the IPL. If you look at it closely, no one in the Kolkata team, apart from McCullum, has really fired. So to pick out Ganguly alone is unfair, even Ricky Ponting has done worse then him. Don't forget his crucial knock of 14 on a terrible wicket. 14 runs while chasing a low score is fantastic.

I think Ganguly's captaincy alone makes him worth every penny. He's easily the best skip in the IPL. If you look at it closely, no one in the Kolkata team, apart from McCullum, has really fired. So to pick out Ganguly alone is unfair, even Ricky Ponting has done worse then him. Don't forget his crucial knock of 14 on a terrible wicket. 14 runs while chasing a low score is fantastic.
yea but look at Gangulys strike rate normally an attacking batsmen but he has been way way below par.

yea but look at Gangulys strike rate normally an attacking batsmen but he has been way way below par.
tat poor strike rate is mainly due to the 14(30) that he did against deccan in that minefield of a pitch which was required at that time..rest if his runs were 10(11) and 12(19)..its ofcourse below average but we should give him some time...remember except mccullum none of kkr's batsmen have batted well

Yeah, I thought Ganguly would like this format because really loves to play that back away and launch over extracover shot. He played that quite well in the first 10 overs of the ODIs recently. He hasn't even been going after the spinners. Something wrong I think - or maybe just adjusting to the pace of the game still. Lets hope for some fireworks from both Sachin & Ganguly when MI plays KKR next.

thing that I dont understand is why gangs, laxy, dravid are so scarred of calling QUITS in ODIs.. dont know why they are still hanging in there.. i mean money will still come while you are in test side.. granted it wont be the same.. but common you saw young side won against australia.. and clearly, they dont belong to this fast changing pace of ODIs.. just quit it.. in this reguard, i just love the way aussie players retire.. -- before ppl ask you.. you tell them

thing that I dont understand is why gangs, laxy, dravid are so scarred of calling QUITS in ODIs.. dont know why they are still hanging in there.. i mean money will still come while you are in test side.. granted it wont be the same.. but common you saw young side won against australia.. and clearly, they dont belong to this fast changing pace of ODIs.. just quit it.. in this reguard, i just love the way aussie players retire.. -- before ppl ask you.. you tell them
While I agree with you, think about it from their perspective. They started playing in ODIs in 1998/99 (both Ganguly and Dravid started at about the same time - they started in Tests in 96 but were not regulars in the ODI team until 98/99). They've hardly played 10 years of One Day International cricket. Ganguly was out of the team for a year or so. But, Sachin Tendulkar, one who is considered as their equal (in seniority) has been playing for 2 decades nearly, and no one is asking him to quit. I have not heard any statement from Dravid about wanting to get back into the ODI team. We've just seen Ganguly making statements about wanting to come back into the team and definition of youth and a bunch of nonsense. I think their retirements will come pretty quickly from the ODI team in a few months. I don't know what to say about Laxman. He's younger than all of them but has been given very few chances as opposed to the other three.

While I agree with you, think about it from their perspective. They started playing in ODIs in 1998/99 (both Ganguly and Dravid started at about the same time - they started in Tests in 96 but were not regulars in the ODI team until 98/99). They've hardly played 10 years of One Day International cricket. Ganguly was out of the team for a year or so. But, Sachin Tendulkar, one who is considered as their equal (in seniority) has been playing for 2 decades nearly, and no one is asking him to quit. I have not heard any statement from Dravid about wanting to get back into the ODI team. We've just seen Ganguly making statements about wanting to come back into the team and definition of youth and a bunch of nonsense. I think their retirements will come pretty quickly from the ODI team in a few months. I don't know what to say about Laxman. He's younger than all of them but has been given very few chances as opposed to the other three.
How can you compare SRT with Gangs and Dravid in terms of fitness, fielding skills and pace that they play.. those days are gone when batsman only require batting skills to stay in the team... SRT adaptes greatly in ODIs.. he played one of the best innings in those two ODI finals.. no offense, but gangs, dravid, laxy are great batsman but even then they are horrible in running between wickets.. just awful .. while SRT is still mile ahead of them.. and abt laxy, may be he didnt get enough chances 5 years back but now there is no way he can compete with dhonis, rohit sharmas, yuvis on strike rate, fielding etc. thank god atleast kumble retired from ODIs gracefully.. i was expecting same from Dravid in January but dont know what he is waiting on. .

Yeah, it surprises me that Dravid has not said anything about this. Perhaps, after the IPL. Maybe he feels its just bad form and he can overcome it. I don't think there is any chance of either Dravid or Ganguly getting a chance in the ODI squad again though. The only reason I compared Sachin with those guys is because he's from the same generation - a bit younger than both though. But yeah, his fitness and fielding skills have most of the time been superior to most of the seniors in the side. Sad that he has to deal with injuries and everything now otherwise I'd think he's still an above average fielder. But the amount of batting power that he adds on (quick scoring) and good bowling - I'd say he's still good for ODIs. :D Of course, I'd never admit if he was ever lacking in any of these in the future.

Yeah, it surprises me that Dravid has not said anything about this. Perhaps, after the IPL. Maybe he feels its just bad form and he can overcome it. I don't think there is any chance of either Dravid or Ganguly getting a chance in the ODI squad again though. The only reason I compared Sachin with those guys is because he's from the same generation - a bit younger than both though. But yeah, his fitness and fielding skills have most of the time been superior to most of the seniors in the side. Sad that he has to deal with injuries and everything now otherwise I'd think he's still an above average fielder. But the amount of batting power that he adds on (quick scoring) and good bowling - I'd say he's still good for ODIs. :D Of course, I'd never admit if he was ever lacking in any of these in the future.
Wholeheartedly agree - Sachin is still a champion fielder (compared to slowpokes Dravid, Saurav and Laxman), a fighter of a batsman and he can blaze an innings unlike the other three. He's more than just a batsman - I want to see him pick up the talisman role and inspire India's ODI side to more wins (kind of Flintoff inspiring England to those Ashes)

Sachin will be like Warne :isalute:
I'm happy that Sachin finally has a solid Team India to back him up - sorry to say but most of the 90's (when Sachin was rocking), Team India was not very good :-D (we never had good openers, weak bowling and downright pathetic fielding)

I'm happy that Sachin finally has a solid Team India to back him up - sorry to say but most of the 90's (when Sachin was rocking)' date=' Team India was not very good :-D (we never had good openers, weak bowling and downright pathetic fielding)[/quote'] true dat!

chill dude these clowns like amits always get slapped smack in the face by india's greatest captain time n again but i guess they enjoy looking stupid- whether it was dada's batting in england after his comeback, his double hundred vs pak or his batting in the recent SA series ganguly has got amazing mental strength and then these clowns dissapear from the forums- thats why he is indias greatest captain- im sure he'll play some sensational knocks in the IPL, still plenty games left, and his team is doing well too so!

:hysterical:@ganguly fans ganguly gets out for 4 today. no significant changes still, avg of 10 & sr of 63.49. his presence in the xi is screwing up kolkata the only best part was that he had a sr of 200 today

:hysterical:@ganguly fans 20 off 22 balls today out of which 5 runs were gifted by an overthrow. cant believe he was paid over $1000000 despite being unfit for 20/20. even dravid & laxman r doing better than him out here. he was playing in a 16-over match and couldnt even score at over 100 sr current stats: avg 16.57, sr 88.54:hysterical: