Vaccinated vs Unvaccinated CoViD data - this graph, I think, needs its own thread.

BacktoCricaddict

On 12/3/2021 at 11:36 PM, rkt.india said:

India have 80% single dose. Total around 125 crore vaccination. Adult population is 95 cr.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/covid-vaccination-coverage-of-1st-dose-up-by-5-9-second-shot-by-11-7/amp_articleshow/88059895.cms

84% Adult population had at least 1 dose, and 49% adult population had both their vaccine doses. 

6 hours ago, ravishingravi said:

Can you share it ? I am not a vaccine skeptic. But this third dose rationale is making me one.

Here is a good summary:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02532-4

Some representative data:

What We Know So Far About Waning Vaccine Effectiveness - The New York Times

Waning Immunity after the BNT162b2 Vaccine in Israel | NEJM

My summary:  Neither respiratory infections, nor their vaccines typically provide enduringly strong antibody (Ab)-based protection against infections.  This is not specific to Covid19 and is characteristic of respiratory influenza viruses, cold viruses etc.   So, to scientists, this waning Ab counts was not a surprise at all.  But Ab counts are not the only protection.  Cell-based immunity persists and will continue to provide reasonably strong protection, especially against serious illness - that has always been scientists' goal.  Much to our chagrin, public unrealistically expected a 100% efficacious vaccine that will stop all infections and all variants from infecting.  

There are two ways to reach herd immunity.  Disease-based or Vaccine-based.   In both cases, you may not be protected long-term against infection, but you are protected very well against severe disease and death.   But in the case of disease-based herd immunity, public mortality burden is extremely high.  

As for your skepticism, it is understandable.   But remember, for as long as the virus is circulating and replicating (more in unvaccinated people), the more it will mutate.  So, vaccine manufacturers must adapt, change, keep up with the virus until it becomes endemic and relatively harmless like the common cold.  Boosters help us get there faster without further lockdowns and economic burdens on people.  I got my booster on the day it opened up for me.  I am going about my life in public - teaching, researching, interacting with colleagues - with a mask, but no other restrictions.  

Edited by BacktoCricaddict