Olympics Wrestling

Gollum

55 minutes ago, bharathh said:

What are Ravi Kumar's chances to win the final? I see his opponent is ranked #1. Anyone watch his games? 

Was listening to former Wrestling coach of Indian team. He said the Russian and Ravi met in world championship in 2019 and Ravi although lost to him in tough 6-4 fight, but he looked better than the Russian.

6 hours ago, Singh bling said:

@Gollum A question for you. What type of wrestling Great Gama used to do ? I read his fights used to be for hours especially with Raheem Baksh  who was close to 7 feet tall while Gama was around 5-6"

Kushti/Pehlwani which is still popular in India/Iran. Mostly on mud pits. And his bouts were pin only I think, no points system, so contests would be very long. Pin is quite difficult to accomplish and rare when top wrestlers face-off. 

22 hours ago, Number said:

Was listening to former Wrestling coach of Indian team. He said the Russian and Ravi met in world championship in 2019 and Ravi although lost to him in tough 6-4 fight, but he looked better than the Russian.

It was a close fight but uguev has good defence skills. he is 5'2'' and has low center of gravity and reaches low for the legs and is quick if the opponent makes a mistake and capitalizes on it. its on youtube. I don't think Ravi was better than him. only he couldn't get past him to score. he is unconquered for the past 2 years and is a champion quite rightly so

11 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

It was a close fight but uguev has good defence skills. he is 5'2'' and has low center of gravity and reaches low for the legs and is quick if the opponent makes a mistake and capitalizes on it. its on youtube. I don't think Ravi was better than him. only he couldn't get past him to score. he is unconquered for the past 2 years and is a champion quite rightly so

Yup looked technically better. Both defence and attack.

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

yeah should give the bronze to the bulgarian. whatever happened to olympic spirit they talk about. is biting a part of olympic spirit. indian twitteratris should bombard olympic association also the cheating by the umps in hockey :mad:

didn't Sushil bite someone in 2012 semi? 

2 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

yeah should give the bronze to the bulgarian. whatever happened to olympic spirit they talk about. is biting a part of olympic spirit. indian twitteratris should bombard olympic association also the cheating by the umps in hockey :mad:

Lol you can understand, you are injured, tired and you have almost won. Then the opponent pins you down and you are on the verge of defeat. Anyond would get desperate. Such things have been a parcel fo wrestling, check what oil check means 

6 minutes ago, New guy said:

Lol you can understand, you are injured, tired and you have almost won. Then the opponent pins you down and you are on the verge of defeat. Anyond would get desperate. Such things have been a parcel fo wrestling, check what oil check means 

11 minutes ago, Serpico said:

didn't Sushil bite someone in 2012 semi? 

well if its that bad, don't go around lecturing about olympic spirit.

Edited by Real McCoy
4 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

1 medal out of many prospects, some losing in bronze medal matches. Sad.

Any other prospects in wrestling?

Bajrang Punia in 2 hours time. 

Seema Bisla as well, but not expected to medal. 

1 minute ago, bharathh said:

Bajrang appears to have squeaked through so far.. Is he wrestling well or just doing bare minimum to progress and conserve his energy? 

I thought he was very defensive in his pre quarters. Against Iranian opponent in quarters also he was a bit more conservative but he came back strong there but against that Kyrgistani opponent in pre-quarter you he barely survived. I hope he is more attacking. I know it is  easier for us to say this sitting here but even Bajrang will know that he was not trying that hard after taking slight lead there which almost cost him the match. 

5 minutes ago, dilliboy said:

What are Bajrang's chances in the semi finals? 

His opponent was a bronze medallist in 2016 in a lower weight category. Should be faster than Bajrang i guess but on current form Bajrang is rated higher. Hope he is more aggressive.